1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele Recommendation

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dozicusmaximus, Apr 17, 2011.

1. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus TDPRI Member

Hello there!
    First off I'm mainly a bass player. And this will be my first tele. I'm borrowing a really terrible bolt on les paul from my guitarist. I had an Agile LP at one point but sold it to a different guitar player. I love the sound but not how they play.
    I will say my most favorite guitar tones are probably Les Paul based. So I would tend to think something with humbuckers will get me close.

Here are the Teles in question.
    Fender Blacktop Tele
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0148200
    Schecter PT
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--SCEPTBK
    Squier Classic Vibe Custom
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--SQU0303030
    ESP LTD TE202
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--ESPTE202RW

And the sounds that I'll be going after/tones I really like/stuff I'll be playing...

Black Keys
    Led Zeppelin
    Godflesh
    90s Grunge stuff
    80s Hardcore Punk
    Hawkwind
    Black Sabbath/Budgie/Nazareth/Thin Lizzy/Boston/ZZ Top
    ISIS
    Iron Monkey
    Goatsnake Pretty sure he uses a P90 vintage Les Paul
    Electric Wizard SG/Les Paul

Basically Bluesy/garage rock to Psychedelic rock/classic rock to stoner/doom/sludge stuff. Mostly overdriven/dirty tones.

So if you bothered to check out some of the samples or know any of the bands... :lol:

Right now I'm leaning towards the Schecter PT the most. I'm pretty sure its got coil taps, to still get some tele-ish sounds.
    But if I get the LTD, I would have money for pickups if needed and still retain the tele bridge. And I read it has a bigger neck. :)
    Same with the Squier (I read it's already routed for a HB bridge).

Any body play any of this stuff?
    If you own any of these what do you think. What styles do you play?
    Think my leanings towards the PT is right?

Oh yah, I think this is my first post. Good to be here. And thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Bill

2. yangounet

yangounet Friend of Leo's

welcome. You made a nice choice of axes. Although I dont own any of these, I would recommend you choose one with bridge single coil pup and neck humbucker, that will give you more versatility and range of sounds. The last you listed(LTD) looks fine.

3. boosh

boosh Tele-Holic

The Classic Vibe Tele is routed for a humbucker in the neck not the bridge and you would probably want to change out the bridge pup for some sort of stacked humbucker by Seymour Duncan or similar so would need a change in pickups to get you where you want to be. But it's $150 cheaper than most of the others so you should be able to get a nice guitar and upgrade the pups for similar costs to the others (never noticed the price of the ESP before I wrote that) - Guitar Fetish do some good pickups for not alot of money or you could look at more expensive brands. It has a pretty thin neck though, don't know if that is an issue.

Have tried out the blacktop a couple of times in stores and they seem good, but alot of people don't like the pickups. I don't know if it matters but with this guitar you get alot more options than the others (black/silver/red body & maple or rosewood neck).

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the ESP or the Schecter. The Schecter looks like it will get you where you want to be and has more of a contemporary look to it, while the others have more of a traditional telecaster look to them! Myself I like the traditional telecaster look so I would look at either the CV custom (a huge favourite on here) and upgrade the pups to suit or the blacktop. Both these guitars you should be able to try out in a shop locally, I would try them both and see what you prefer. The other two might be harder to find to try out (I know they would be in the UK, maybe different where you are).

Oh and welcome to the forum, folks on here are friendly with a wealth of knowledge.

4. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Go try them out, the force will speak to you.

5. yangounet

+1 with that. Go and try!

6. Rockergirl21

Rockergirl21 TDPRI Member

I speak for the VM Teles!

Squier Vintage Modified SH and SSH are wonderful guitars! You get a get stock neck pup in each one, and the single coil in the bridge is easily replaced with a stacked humbucker ( I did this on my SSH) ...they are the same or a bit lower in price than the CVs....also there is a slightly strange Squier ...the J5 signature that has both pups as humbuckers, but I've never tried this model...it's supposed to be among their highest quality. The Squier Custom II is less expensive and has Les Paul-like controls.

So I own two VMs and have played lots of CVs...I would suggest the VMs.

vm.jpg
    Vintage modified Tele SH

vms.jpg
    Vintage modified Tele SSH

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    J5.jpg
    J5...notice where the pup switch is, i guess there is no tone control, though, just separate volume controls, I've never tried this one...

And there IS the Custom II, too, but I have very little experience with it...just played it at a guitar shop once, the set up was bad on that particular one, people say it's a really good guitar after it has been set up:
    Notice the Les Paul control arrangement:
    custom 22222.jpg

Anyway...there are some Squier possibilities. Happy hunting! :p

Attached Files:

7. yangounet

on top of that, you might plan to get a few effects (if not done already) to get the sound of the guitars on your links. For some of them, effects will be at least as important as the quality of the pickups.

8. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

If it was my project, I'd pick the guitar that had the neck/frets I liked the best. Pickup swaps are easy...

9. Outline

Outline TDPRI Member

+1 on that. Although I would recommend the Blacktop if I had to choose.

10. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus TDPRI Member

Thanks guys. I have looked at all the Squier models. Those VM Custom's look nice too.
    I usually play a VM P bass. I put a G&L pickup in it, bad ass bridge, all black hardware/pickguard. I love it.
    I can barely tell the difference in neck size on guitar (they are all tiny).
    But, I'll have go to GC and try some stuff out. I'll bet they have the Fender and Squier. I'll be lucky if they have anything else.
    I guess I could try any Schecter model to get a feel for the neck. Same for the ESP.

11. Stephen

Stephen Tele-Meister

Bill, why don't you look at Logan Custom Guitar and get exactly what you want. Bob is a Tele wiz. Been building them since the '70's. Give him a call he knows his stuff and is a great guy too! Building one up for me right now. Regards, Stephen

12. humblepie

humblepie TDPRI Member

LTD TE202 hands down.

Having owned MIM teles of various persuasions, had my hands on Classic Vibe teles, and while I like the Blacktop teles, they are a few degrees off of what I'd call a real tele, great guitars, but better suited for hard rock and might as well be any other variety of well made bolt-on neck guitar.

The TE202 is an excellent gigable guitar that exudes true tele character to the player and the listener. It's got a much more expensive feel to it than any of the teles you listed, although your mileage may vary.

The guitar really needs nothing done to it. Fret edges are soft, frets are level, it's relic'd and the thin flat finish seems to let tone reign as opposed to the plastic casings other lower priced guitars are premanently embedded in, the electronics are good, and the neck joint is tight and strong. Mine resonates. I have a very nice Gibson SG, and Mark Knopfler Signature strat with Fralins, and this TE202 with nothing added is equally loved and played as the other two. It just performs and gratifies.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.