1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele Rebuild

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by dilver, Mar 6, 2021.

1. dilver

dilver Tele-Meister

Ever have something turn out waaay better than you thought it would? I got a 96 Fender Am Std Tele years ago from a family member than had connections at Fender. I asked for Candy Apple Red, but it arrived as Lipstick Red and I didn’t have the heart to tell him, it wasn’t what I wanted. Lipstick Red is a weird color... it’s kinda like fire engine red and it can look deep, glossy and wet, to a boring flat primary red, depending on the lighting. I never really loved it, so I parted it out to make the Warmoth partscaster in my avatar. That guitar turned out great and I play it often. I put the hull of the Red Tele body in a box, put it away and hadn’t even though about it in years.

A month ago, I started building a strat partscaster for my teenage son. Fun project and it turned out great; he loves it. Now I’ve got the bug to build more guitars, so I remember I’ve got that old Tele body somewhere in the attic. And I know I’ve got pickups, pots, and other parts in my drawer. Build a tele? Why not? Along comes TDPRI brother, Ron C, with an ad for a USACG neck. It looks great, so I buy it. Turns out he and his wife know my sister from high school. Crazy. He’s an awesome dude and hooks me up with a couple of the last bits and pieces I need to finish the build

The neck arrives and it’s awesome - dark Amazon rosewood board with some nice figuring. Even the resin filled USACG logo on the headstock is cool. I put it all together last night, did a full set up today and it feels amazing. Plays great, sounds great, fits my hand and playing style perfectly. Love it. This is my first USACG neck and I’m way impressed. I wasn’t sure what the 1 11/16 nut width, .820” C contour would feel like as sometimes Warmoth, Fender and Allparts “C” profiles can be a bit different. But it’s perfect. And I think I kinda think the Lipstick Red works with the rosewood fretboard. This impulse build turned out way bette than I’d ever hoped... 2FACDC73-8AF1-40CF-BA72-896DE1957D43.jpeg 91A90F5D-8DE9-4BBE-BAF4-B62ECAB85631.jpeg 12DC0B8A-74FF-4EFE-AD62-CFF4C21073A3.jpeg 5679827C-7109-46AB-8A71-28B6389F992A.jpeg

WingedWords, hemingway and Ron C like this.
  2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Red guitars are faster. That looks great!

3. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Nice !

4. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Hey, that looks great! So glad it turned out so well, and that we got to (virtually) meet over the sale...definitely turned into one of those happy "life is good" experiences.

And it's great to see my last piece of Tommy Rosamond era USACG parts go to an excellent home. I really miss creating guitars with him.

5. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I can't figure out why you didn't like that red. It's amazing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.