Tele rear body string bush install- oiled finish

Caffiend

TDPRI Member
Hi, I know about the soldering iron trick for getting the string retainers into the back of a nitro finished body, but what about an oiled finish such as wudtone? My understanding was that the heat was melting the nitro temporarily. I'm not sure a dye snd oil finish is going to do that. Should I be tapping them in on a body like this?

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
A press fit (with hand pressure) is really all that's needed to hold the ferrules so they don't fall out when you change strings

It's OK to give them a light tap, but you want to make sure of the fit before you do too much "tapping", otherwise you take a chance of messing up the finish

I think a little heat helps even with an oil finish - but you want to make sure the holes are properly sized before ya get carried away with heat and a "tapper" :)

If the ferrules fit before you applied the finish, you should be OK with a little heat and a tap or two, but if you didn't check the fit before finishing - now is the time for some careful measuring.

I've found that here are several different sizes of ferrules available, and they are different enough to cause fitting problems unless your body is drilled to fit - so if there is any question - measure first ;)

Geo

Poster Extraordinaire
You can put the ferrules in a zip lock bag then in the freezer for a couple hours. The metal will contract and allow easy
installation. Once in and back to room temp ferrules should be tight.

gb Custom Shop

Tele-Meister
Firstly, I build my own bodies, and thus drill for ferrule holes myself - I always test in a scrap piece to ensure I'm drilling with the correct sized bit.

Finishes can, and often will, build up in the drilled ferrule hole. This is obviously lesser so if it's an oil finish, however people don't always remove the excess oil from the drilled holes, so there's the potential for build up there. I always use the same bit to clean out the hole after finishing and prior to installing the ferrules.

When installing the ferrules, I apply paste wax to the ferrule prior to pressing in, and that helps them go in like butter, but still hold snug. I usually can't press them in by hand pressure alone, so I'll either use 1 of 2 methods:
1) hard wood block on the ferrule and gently hammer them in
2) use the drill press with the chuck fully closed to press them in

If they're not going in easily with paste wax and a cleaned out hole, then the hole is just too small

thegaijin

Tele-Holic
You can put the ferrules in a zip lock bag then in the freezer for a couple hours. The metal will contract and allow easy
installation. Once in and back to room temp ferrules should be tight.
I like this idea :)

Reactions: Geo