Tele (re)Wiring : SS, TELE, 50s, 3way, series/parallel, greasebucket, S-1, reverse plate

havlma1

Tele-Meister
Hi Dave! Nice projects, but I'm afraid your soldering is not completely all right.. I hope you don't mind if I write this:

When I see those photos above it looks like there are many cold joints, maybe you should check this guide: Common soldering faults

In general you should pre-tin both surfaces (pot, wire, eylet) and only then solder parts together. First make sure both components are heated enough, so when you touch soldering wire to them, it starts to melt. Those components need to be heated before applying solder. The joint should be nice and smooth (see the picture in the bottom of this post).

1663829434203.png

1663829477637.png

_dave_

Tele-Meister
Hi @havlma1, no worries. I’m well aware I have problems soldering. That’s part of the reason I posted this.
Take a look at my last post, I just soldered that plate this evening trying to improve my technique. I went back over and heated the components trying not to over heat or use too much solder. I think I did better, but not perfect. My iron was set at about 850* F, but I lowered the temp after a while to under 800.
Thanks for your reply. Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks for your time to reply!

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

Soldering is all technique and very little about the equipment. That solder blob diagram posted above is a good resource, save it on your computer to refer to later. Although the creator of that diagram should have put 'goal!' on that far right 'ok' balloon. You want that smooth surface volcano contour shape when soldering well.

Looks like one leg of that brown cap (your grease bucket kit?) is touching or will easily touch the control plate and ground out above the resistor.

Typical 50s wiring makes for bad interaction of the volume and tone controls (turning the tone knob also changes the volume). Most players who love the 50s mod seem to dime their tone knob and never use that control so the interaction is not an issue for them. So be cautious with adding it depending on your playing style.

_dave_

Tele-Meister
@jvin248 thanks for the advice and video. Well appreciated.
I dismantled the plate above the reference diagram long ago. Like you said, cold joints, was dropping in and out. I need to pay better attention when I solder.

I do like the 50s wiring as I ride the vol & tone as I play, reminds me of a Les Paul I used to own.
I do like modern wiring also, but seem to get along at this point with the 50s style a bit more.
Last night I made a 50s mod blend wiring control plate and kind of really like that also. That’s what I’m using for a while to test out.

Thanks again for the kind words all, much appreciated