Tele (re)Wiring : SS, TELE, 50s, 3way, series/parallel, greasebucket, S-1, reverse plate

_dave_

Tele-Meister
This started as a cry for help but quickly turned into a self-guide as I try to figure out best/correct way to wire my Tele.

I have a grasp of each separate thing but adding the reverse plate into the mix just gave me a bit of brain freeze.
I hope this may help someone down the line, if nothing else it is helping me to check my progress in case I need to back-step.

*edit*
I’m working from several diagrams but haven’t stumbled upon one specific to my setup.

-S-1 is the tone pot
-Not quite sure the way the greasebucket circuit I bought ties in to the 50s wiring (tone).

I’m using player plus noiseless pickups at the moment but will swap out for vintage style pickups periodically (you all know how that goes, lol…)

I’m going slowly, below is my progress at the moment.
My plan is to put the
1. greasebucket,
2. then jumpers on the 3-way (had to compare upside-down normal switch to be sure where they go.
3. Then wire the pots in
4. Then pickups.
A122AFB1-0160-4840-BB33-E4C25FDE4DFB.jpeg

4E431EFB-93A7-4DD1-A609-107BDFE15EC2.jpeg

Greasebucket: (S-1 is the tone pot)
image.jpg

Greasebucket installed: (resistor to tone pot ground)
image.jpg

Switch to volume & tone<->vol wire. (This I’m unsure of because of the greasebucket)
image.jpg

Second try at tone <-> volume wire (after looking at web diagrams of fender greasebucket circuit)
image.jpg

Status so far. I have sound, but switch is incorrectly wired.
Back for more tomorrow.
468431E2-4BCE-4A36-968E-69E0C5677759.jpeg

4382402F-4E4C-4170-8B04-849AF5A5CC61.jpeg

09D2B061-C3ED-435F-8064-5DF556BD9636.jpeg

I found this diagram (on TDPRI, I think). And am now going this route, with greasebucket added. Also I’m using s-1 for tone pot.

I also had to grind down some wood under the control panel to allow for the reverse plate & s-1 depth.
8D713DE8-8774-4D7E-83D6-982D42702EB1.jpeg

Last edited:

_dave_

Tele-Meister
Well… I give up. For now…

Thought I had it but there are too many diagrams and too many different switches.

I need to play tomorrow so have to put old controls back in and come back some other time.
I’ll be only with bridge pickup lol.
I need a proper wiring diagram.
I’m no good at figuring on the fly.
👍🏼😎

Last edited:

_dave_

Tele-Meister
I found this diagram. Looks like more straight forward diagram.
The reverse controls and the particular switch I have is confusing me.
—>However, I’m not sure how to translate the push pull to S-1 switch.
CEDB40A2-1DCD-4F7A-82E5-72C589F1C3ED.jpeg

_dave_

Tele-Meister
Well, I think I burned the s-1 switch and looks like my 3-way is reverse of most stock versions so I finally realized how to use it, but still haven’t found a diagram that works, and now I can’t even get stock wiring to work.
I had bridge only working but now no sound any more.

I guess I might try wiring bridge pu to vol pot to jack.
I think I burnt myself out trying to figure it out.

_dave_

Tele-Meister
Well I finally got 50’s wiring, normal tone 0.22 cap, but bridge pu only.
I like it.
One pu much simpler, nice tone vol interaction….
Now I’m beginning to think either ESQUIRE or MODIFIED ‘51 or BLEND.
I Enjoyed playing with only bridge last night, but interested in the greasebucket still… or two volumes, no tone…
Ughh….
Now I see why people have multiple teles…
I finally got the bridge and tone going so I’m good for now…
Stay tuned, lol.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Sounds like you're all set, but in case it helps anyone... here's how I think about plate reversal. In particular, nothing is turned 180 degrees.

Screen Shot 2022-09-10 at 10.14.13 AM.png

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Greasebucket.png

Here's the greasebucket. Plate reversal won't affect this.

I can't remember if I've ever tried greasebucket on 50s wiring. It may not work properly, but since it's just one wire moved, certainly worth a try.

EDIT: I found grease/50s in a couple of my older diagrams. I don't physically wire up everything I draw, but I'm pretty sure I used at least one of these for a while. So, it probably works.

For 50s wiring, in the diagram above move the purple wire to vol pot output.

Last edited:

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Also, in future (I doubt this will be your last wiring foray...), you'll save a lot by buying loose caps, resistors, wire, pots, etc. You're doing a lot of soldering anyway, so there's no "skill savings" there.

If you really don't want to get involved (but still some soldering is required!), get a 920D pre-wired harness. Otherwise, roll your own from the individual components. That's my opinion, anyway....

_dave_

Tele-Meister
Thanks moosie! I wired the 50’s/greasebucket exactly as your mar 2022 drawing above, moved the purple wire.
My problem is the 3-way switch I have is wired backwards, meaning each side is opposite of most normal switches, so I had no clue what was wrong until I closely compared & watched a YouTube video explaining how they work.
I did figure out AFTER, no need to do a 180 on the switch (I already KNEW that, but wasn’t thinking).
So after all that, I had already been fiddling with the S-1 thinking I did something wrong there but ended up melting the plastic parts so basically fried the switch. My other push-pulls weirdly stopped pulling up, not sure if I was too rough with them, as I just snipped the wires to disconnect them.
Anyway, I know I can do 50s/greasebucket but I think I might still like s-1 switch for series also so might try that.
I enjoy Frankenstein-ing my tele, but need to take breaks along the way.
I have a tendency to want to do it all in one sitting and run into trouble when I don’t stop.
I have half a mind to try the modified ‘51 Nocaster blend wiring but fear it might be a bit bright on the wide open settings, I’ve heard various examples, some nice some too bright.
Are you aware of a blend wiring that incorporates tone caps on the blend side, maybe .001, .015 or something small like that not too drastic.
I have 2 more pots to try that.
I also have a big CTS push-pull to give my original idea a go again. 50s/grease/series pp tone (CTS pot below)
Hoping to get’er done by tonight hopefully.
Planning on using the post #4 diagram as a guide.
Also gonna swap my twisted tele/broadcaster set back in, too.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated!
I’m learning much. And having fun. 👍🏼👍🏼😎
746019E9-3F90-4C9F-97E9-ABAFB062A3ED.jpeg

_dave_

Tele-Meister
Back to the drawing board…
(I take apart my tele almost every week..it’s a sickness…)
Getting down to brass tacks, almost to the finish line 👍🏼😇
6C525CDA-50B3-4091-AA56-0A162BD471AA.jpeg

716FD004-CFC3-4387-98FA-D078DE95955C.jpeg

image.jpg

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
I am useless for the wiring questions, but I wanted to say that I love the color of that Telecaster, especially with the brass colored pickguard.

_dave_

Tele-Meister
Not sure if the wiring is clear in the pictures… got the 3-way
(this one is like looking in a mirror - not normal connections)
and the pots wired, just need to finish the p/p & connect the pickups.
I’m taking my time and going
- s l o w l y - 🐢🐢🐢 😬😎

image.jpg

image.jpg

_dave_

Tele-Meister
I am useless for the wiring questions, but I wanted to say that I love the color of that Telecaster, especially with the brass colored pickguard.
Lol - I was just debating on which one to put back on.
You win! Back goes the anodized aluminum:
This pic looks closer to real life. Guitar is more copper, guard is more orangey.
BE7A6A6F-E2A9-482E-B64B-FA12A9945B2D.jpeg

_dave_

Tele-Meister
Thanks Dwight!
Well, I had the push-pull all done except pull-up wouldn’t connect the neck pu. I tried but soldered two contacts together & couldn’t get unsoldered. So I gave up on push-pull.
For now. I wired in a new tone pot & have reverse / 50s / greasebucket. Still have to restring.
Next try will probably be modified ‘51 Nocaster without the big cap. Something smaller like 0.022 or 0.015, maybe 0.001.
I think I can handle that wiring, I seem to have trouble with pots with switches. (I do have another S-1 on order though, lol).
image.jpg

_dave_

Tele-Meister
Here’s what I learned so far:
Not all switches and pots are created equal.
-My 3-way switch is constructed like a mirror image to most similar switches.
-S-1 switch is similar to a push pull, but different enough to make things more complex than anticipated.
-switches and pots do not like prolonged heat. Get in, then get out.
Don’t be like me and keep soldering and unsoldering when something is not working. Use alligator clips or visually study your wiring to be certain.
(I have a fresh set of alligator clips I did not use and burned 2 pots/switches up that way this week)
-Research before and have a couple diagrams on hand. Also have parts/tools ready to go.
-Do not rush.
-take a break
-give your self plenty of time to finish and include catastrophe time (few days) in case something goes totally wrong)
-have a backup plan if you have a gig soon.
-read all the wiring posts on TDPRI way before you begin to open up your Tele.
-be realistic, be persistent. If it goes wrong, try again some other time.
-keep at it, your Tele is worth it.
-buy a pre-made harness if you don’t think Telecaster surgery is fun. Or if you don’t like burnt fingers.
-when surgery is done, plug it in and play some music!

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
A couple pairs of cheap reading glasses from the Dollar Store can really help even if you still have the sharp vision of youth. +2 to +3.25 will get your eyeballs in places they normally fear to tread...like flux runoff in those switch contacts.

_dave_

Tele-Meister
Another update!
Just finished another plate with 50s blend wiring with no-load blend pot, Linear taper volume. 10k resistor and 0.01 cap instead of the 0.05.
AWESOME. I’ll change the cap to 0.001 or maybe 0.005. What I have now is just a bit dark, but on the edge of usable.
This is such a good wiring setup. Good range of usable tones.
Used the SD diagram as a guide.
Oh - I reversed the 3-way switch. (Used a standard Fender version this time).
This and the 50s wiring with greasebucket are now my favorite wiring schemes.
I’m not sure if I’ll try the S-1 switch with series any longer.
Thanks for following. Hope this helped someone. 👍🏼😎😇
FFB74043-7881-4AFF-B9F6-884E899F8C89.jpeg

5AC4A89F-B504-43AA-94AB-828691632789.jpeg
30D978E2-896E-4194-8A68-89A95C519B5A.jpeg
28599635-C472-4FE3-9230-BC1A8DE83A9F.jpeg
77D7E6D4-D930-4BB7-8C55-1EC58A51CCE3.jpeg
D88FE877-A611-4F55-B74A-99E0C4447EBB.jpeg