1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele Quarter Pounder Str-1 Bridge wiring

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Craig Williams, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Tele-Meister

Just got a quarter pounder and notice it is 3 wire. Has a black and white cable, and a shorter black cable also. Is the short black cable to ground the bridge? I can't find anything on google and most of the photos I see look like only 2 leads?

Also read some rubbish about if you match it with a Fender pick up it may be out of phase and you need to cut a solder jumper wire and reverse the leads white to ground? I have a SD Vintage in the front and I wired both pick ups white to hot on the respective switch terminals.
    Why would you cut the little jumper wire on the back of the pick up?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    fretWalkr likes this.
  2. Jef

Jef Tele-Holic

check on the underside: if the 3rd wire goes to the metal bottom plate only, it is the ground wire.

3. Craig Williams

The underside of a QP is fibreboard. They dont have the brass baseplate

4. Jef

Jef Tele-Holic

so the 3rd wire connects to the copper windings as well? There is a tapped variant of the quarter pound (I have the neck version) but the tap wire is usually red.

5. PeteWaller

PeteWaller Tele-Meister

I would like an answer to that question as well as I have just fitted a quarter pounder into the bridge of my custom shop tele....I put the black wire under the bridge plate but still go some buzzing:( And also I have a four way switch fitted and when I switch it so both the neck and bridge pickups are playing together the sound is very thin.

6. Craig Williams

No, its not the tapped version. I got a long white and black wire, and a shorter black wire. I did the same as you, mine already has a wire under the bridge so I twisted it together and covered the bridge over it. No buzzing at all but I was going through a SS amp. Yeah I am not that fussed on mine either. Mind you there appears to be a wiring issue which I will address tomorrow. In the bridge position both pick ups are in circuit. To be honest I don't think the output or tone much better the the Squier CV pick ups that were in there. I thought the QP were supposed to be high output hot?

7. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

You probably wired the bridge backwards and are getting an out of phase sound.

If the pickup is a three wire, that third wire could be for coil tapping. My quarter pounders for tele only have 2 wires. I’d email Seymour Duncan for some wiring questions.

8. Craig Williams

Well I just sorted out a wire on the wrong terminal of the three way switch, and the pick ups are selecting as they should do now, but the quarter pounder on the bridge is thin sounding and weak, just like they describe it in the manual. However they say you may need to reverse the polarity if you put a SD with a Fender PU. I would have thought 2 x SD in the same guitar both white wires would be hot. The extra black wire definitely not a tap. Taps on a SD are red.

Gonna have to rip it all apart again and check which is a real pain being a Thinline. Need to unstring, remove about 20 screws and take the whole scratch plate off. Normal tele I would just unscrew the control plate job done.

By the way, the vintage in the neck seems to be working perfectly and quite powerful. It is sounds great actually, better than I hoped reading the reviews. The QP is about a third of the volume and sounds like a transistor radio. If the pick ups were out of phase wouldn't they both be sounding poorly?

9. Craig Williams

How can they be wired backwards? White to hot and black to ground. The instructions mention out of phase if used with a Fender pick up. These are both SD and the wiring appears to be correct. Its definitely not a tapping wire, infact another poster said he had the same thing on his QP. The neck pick up only has 2 wires. I assume the extra wire is because the base of this pick up is fibre, not brass like a normal Tele bridge pick up

10. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

If your QP bridge sounds really thin, inspect the pick wires for damage leading up to the pickup. It could also be a bad solder joint or a bad pot if you’re using a 4 pot setup.

11. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

It’s possible one of the pickup lead wires went to the wrong spot in the pickup selector or pot as well.

12. Craig Williams

When you say the you put the black wire under the bridge, do you mean the short black wire? How many black wires do you have on your QP? Mine has two black wires, a long one and a short one

13. Craig Williams

No, double checked that. I did send an email to SD and did get a wishy washy reply, need to send them more info....but he did say there would only be out of phase issues if I used a different brand pick up with the SD. He said if I used two SD pick ups together there should be no out of phase. Gonna go back in and triple check wiring, I know the pick up wires are on the right switch terminals and the rest of the wiring should be ok as far as I know factory wiring never altered. And time to put the multimeter on the coils I think

DeepDangler likes this.
  14. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

The bridge should read around 17k on the output for the QP. It's possible the pickup is damaged.

15. Craig Williams

Got an email back from SD and they said the pick up config is "strange". they don't have an extra wire like this and if it was a tapped pick up the extra wire would be red. I am guessing it is a fake. Already packed up and sent back to the seller. The wires also looked a bit thin for a SD. Most I have seen have thicker glass insulated wires. There was zero reading on the multimeter, surprised there was an output at all. Thanks all for the help

wblynch and DeepDangler like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.