1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele players that changed your life!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by skinny ted, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard VA

Howard VA Tele-Meister

The Byrds and Status Quo

Clarence White of The Byrds was definitely in a class of his own. However when I bought my first Tele, it was because of those guys in Status Quo (Francis Rossi and Rick Parfitt). Francis is a very underrated lead guitarist, and Rick is an incredible rhythm guitarist. These 2 tele players together have been playing boogie rock n' roll for 40 years with Status Quo and are still going strong (these old guys haven't mellowed like a lot of them do). :cool:

2. TelecasterSam

TelecasterSam Tele-Afflicted

Tele players that changed my life....

all of the above! It is hard to list them all, but in order of first seeing or hearing them, or close:
    James Burton
    Luther
    Don Rich
    Waylon
    Clarence
    Cropper
    Bernie
    Roy Nichols
    Roy Buchanon
    Gatton
    Flacke/Skaggs
    Marty Stuart
    I know I've forgotten a bunch.

3. jamblehamblebum

jamblehamblebum Tele-Meister

4. adkima00

adkima00 Tele-Afflicted

Mike Campbell, mike Campbell, mike Campbell! Then chrissie hynde.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

5. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Clarence, Robbie, and Roy were my first Tele favorites. Still think of them whenever I see a Tele!

6. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

7. birv2

birv2 Tele-Afflicted

Jim Weider!

8. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Michael Bloomfield, Steve Cropper, Danny Gatton and Roy Buchanan. Too many to think of.

9. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

Roy B

10. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

This is an interesting question for me, but I think I'm going to have to say Rich Robinson from the Black Crowes. When I got into Teles, it was by accident. I always thought they looked cool, but I never bought one because of an artist. Not like I did with my Strat phase. When I first started playing, all of my favorite artists played Strats (Hendrix, Clapton, SRV, etc), so I felt like that was the guitar I should be playing.

In 2005, I saw the Black Crowes play here in Atlanta, and Rich played his '55 Esquire for a good part of the show. Loved the sound, the look, and everything about it. It wasn't until I joined this forum in 2007 that I really learned about Telecaster & Esquires. I also learned about other artists who played them. The Strat player list is much longer than the Tele player list, but equally impressive.

I had no idea that Jimmy Page played a Tele, and my favorite, Muddy Waters, played one as well. Lots of other great players too, but I really think Rich was the guy who really helped feed the addiction.

11. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Keith Richards.
    Keith Richards.
    Keith Richards.

12. James J LaRue

James J LaRue Tele-Meister

Andy Summers - Mainly for tone, as much of an influence to use a chorus pedal as a Tele.

Jerry Reed - I was on tour in one of my old metal bands, we were on the road with the band Exodus, and Jack Gibson (Exodus bass player) told me about Jerry Reed and Tony Rice (both of whom I'm really into now). Though you see a lot of acoustic stuff from Jerry, I love when he played a Tele. I like how his picking hand looked.

Brent Mason - Confirmed that you could really shred on these guitars, no excuses about fret size, fretboard radius, etc. And Since I came from a shred background, he was easy for me to listen to as his country and jazz playing is still very chops intensive.

One of my teachers at Berklee, who's name I forgot, I feel crappy about that...only had him for one class for about a week. Playing all this jazz stuff on a jazz guitar, and one day said "I'm tired of this guitar, I wanna play da telecasta" (he had kind of a Boston accent) and so he pulled it out and that was the first time I heard fat, roud, warm non-twangy Jazz tones coming out of a Tele, which changed the way I thought of Teles completely.

When I was about 5, I got Springsteen's Born in the USA on 12" (when records were the norm, along with cassettes). Aside from Michael Jackson's Thriller and a single of Willie's On the Road Again, it was the only non-childrens' record I owned at that age, didn't understand anything about guitars or Telecasters but it was the sound of that guitar that prompted me to ask for the record.

I love Redd Volkaert as well, but got into him after I had already owned some Teles. He changed the way I try to incorporate Jazz and Country into a hot rodded form of Western Swing, but I was already on to Teles by then.

And more recently hearing specifically the live performance recordings by Albert Collins, I've been diggin the SRV-like amount of breakup coming out of his rig. His early 90's stuff, it sounded...not Stratty, jut a hotrod blues tone, which is more of my thing...So I been taking a lot of influence from that, plus the way he quickly jerked his head around and looked one way, then abruptly the next direction while sustaining notes.

13. moonman2

moonman2 Tele-Meister

Greg Koch

that is all

14. jandlgoldman

jandlgoldman TDPRI Member

Bruce Springsteen for sure. Before Bruce I thought the Tele was a country wimpy guitar, with Bruce I realized what an amazing rock instrument it actually was.

joel

15. Bodeen

Bodeen TDPRI Member

Yep, hands down... Nuthin' like ol' Keef gittin' raunchy on a Tele with a cigarette in his mouth, looking like he ain't slept in a week.

16. drb1346

drb1346 Tele-Afflicted

Waylon
    The Hag
    Gatton
    Too many others to list here . . .

17. TeleMan59

TeleMan59 Tele-Meister

Robben, Roy, Danny.

18. bigmuff113

bigmuff113 Friend of Leo's

J Mascis

19. starjag

starjag Tele-Meister

He plays Teles?

20. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I'd say Don Rich, because the short solo lick in "Act Naturally."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.