1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele players that changed your life!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by skinny ted, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom P.

Tom P. Tele-Holic

:oops: I'm a little verklempt! I showed up once just looking to jam and ended up in a brotherhood. Funny how things work out.
    BTW - that Tony Dogs feller is pretty kewl too!

2. Mike Rice

Mike Rice Friend of Leo's

Don't worry Tom, I didn't forget TonyDogs...just used his proper surname.

3. Tom P.

Tom P. Tele-Holic

Doh!!!!!

4. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hey, that's my picture... :D Thanks Capt'n Grey !

It's the one that made me love the look of the Telecaster.

Later, seeing and hearing Steve Cropper with one, made me love the sound of one too.

5. Bigugh

Bigugh Tele-Meister

Roy.

Attached Files:

6. WrapAround

WrapAround Tele-Holic

Jeff Beck and Brent Mason.

7. Ian

Ian Tele-Afflicted

Andy Taylor- I was a big Duran Duran fan in my "yoot", the blonde Tele in the Planet Earth video , and the Black Schecter PT Tele he later played planted an early Telecaster seed.

Jeff Beck-People Get Ready video. The coolest guitar player I'd ever seen,had to get a Tele...so I did!!!

Ricky Skaggs- That red tele I'd see him play on TNN and the licks he'd play just knocked my socks off. I knew I wanted to play like that.....still can't!!

Prince- Genius!!! The end of "Lets go Crazy" is still the sexiest guitar playing I've ever heard. Tremendous player and probably the best Funk player on the planet.

Danny Gatton- I had given up guitar playing in the mid 90's, hearing Gatton brought me back. Couldn't BEGIN to state how important Gatton's music is to me.

Brent Mason- Listened to "...don't even know her name" and heard everything I wanted to be as a player. His playing is as influential as Gattons to me.

CHEERS!!!!

8. Lynchsandman

Lynchsandman TDPRI Member

Hi I'm new!

Although I loved Jimmy Page's exploits with his tele on that Led Zeppelin Danish black and white 60s tv programme thing.....and while also enjoying Andy Summers shimmering tasteful licks with the Police.....it was Jeff Buckley that actually made me put my money on the counter and get one.

9. dmarg1045

dmarg1045 Friend of Leo's

Bloomfield via 1st Butterfield album. Jimmy Page, heard live at Mountain Park Ballroom with Little Games-era Yardbirds. Got his autograph. Clarence with Byrds. Heard them twice, Music Inn in Lenox Ma and U of Hartford gymnasium. Buchanan, Gatton, and lately, Redd. Hi, I'm new here. Dan

10. geemo

geemo Tele-Holic

Tele interest started with this guy!

For me this guy started it all!

[​IMG]

Now thanks to the forum it has developed even further and I listen alot to Brad Paisley and Keith Urban. I like their sound and way of playing very much.

11. PeteMac

PeteMac Friend of Leo's

... That changed my life ???

Jeff Buckley

It was one of those "time and place" things.
    I was in the right place at the right time to hear the "Grace" album, and a couple of the songs in particular.

I'm listening to him right now !!!

BTW: Hi Lynchsandman. Welcome.

What part of Oz are you from?

12. Semperfidoe

Semperfidoe TDPRI Member

Well I dont actually own a Tele......YET......:cry: but im trying and will get one soon I promise :) so I dont know if my post counts.....anyway regardless the usual suspects - Bruce,Prince and Page but one ive not yet seen mentioned (apologies if I missed it) - Richie Kotzen. That guy makes tones with a tele ive never heard. He seems to be able to play ANYTHING with it and emulate ANY instrument.ONe minute you think he's playing a violin and the next a Les Paul. All the time its a tele. True master of the tele.... check out his homepage and there's a video which you can download of him playing in Argentina - blues tone to die for!! :oops:

13. Gareth John

Gareth John Tele-Afflicted

For me, It was when I was on my european tour. We played this place in Germany that was pretty dead with a guy called wolf mail http://www.bilderarchiv-online.de/categories.php?cat_id=122
    you can see me with my BC Rich Mockingbird (the only reliable guitar I could find at the time) and when I heard wolf playing his 57 tele into a small tweed amp, I was blown away. It got me into blues. I wanted a tele after that. Then I got into springsteen, and saw a picture of his tele/esquire and I had to get myself one.

14. Lynchsandman

Lynchsandman TDPRI Member

Hey PeteMac. I'm from the sunny goldcoast! Thanks for making me feel welcome dude. Grace is a cd I can't survive more than a month without listening to. Genius!

15. Hafner

Hafner RIP

Could somebody explain to me, why you American's always mention Keith Richards (lovely KEEF named) ? Average to me !

16. RSM

RSM TDPRI Member

Put me down for Keith Richards. His use of open G tuning opened up a whole new world of tone for me.

Tchja Manfred, ich weiss auch nicht.

17. Reno Sepulveda

Reno Sepulveda Tele-Afflicted

Roy Buchanon, not that I play anything like him. Back in the mid 70s I read about Roy and bought his first three albums and his whole style just clicked with me. The way he played the blues and his country swing rhythm playing was so cool it totally shook me out of my Sabbath, Zeppelin rut. I found a beat up old Tele with a DeArmond neck humbucker and was in business, my first pro grade guitar.

Roy was the one that put me touch with roots music and Telecasters. But like I say his lead style is beyond me. Now fast forward 25 years to Chuck Prophet. Chuck writes songs that make you laugh and think and cry and think and he runs the whole show with a Squier tele, a Deluxe Reverb and a Budah wah pedal. The guy is a walking encyclopedia of pop music 1955-? and I can recognize elements of my playing in his except his sounds way cooler. Gee maybe being a 48 year old guitar geek (cough -today's my birthday- cough)isn't such a bad thing after all.

18. Rizo

Rizo Tele-Afflicted

Notice my avatar?

Joe Strummer is probably the main tele player I immulate, but Luther Perkins is a big one too.

My musical philosophy is: Clash meets Cash.

19. Stefan

Stefan Tele-Afflicted

James Burton, playing with Elvis made me pick up the Tele!

[​IMG]

20. MaskedRider

MaskedRider Tele-Afflicted

Chrissie is one of the reasons I bought a white tele recently.I think this is the tele she was playing when I saw the Pretenders in 1980(twice,Toads Place and Woolsey Hall).I love that jangley tele sound on the early Pretenders albums.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.