1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele players that changed your life!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by skinny ted, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indiana

Indiana Tele-Meister

Wow! Keith Richards hit some nutty fan over the head with that black Tele? I've never seen that...is that on YouTube somewhere? I need to see that. Keith bought that black telecaster with the black pickguard here in San Antonio. The guy that sold it to him is a well known luthier in town. I love the way that guitar looks

2. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

James Burton.
    Then,
    Steve Cropper, Roy Buchanan, and Albert Collins.

3. Southpaw433

Southpaw433 Tele-Meister

4. harlycarly

harlycarly Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Phew, Joggin' the Memory Cells Here!

Along with so many of the others mentioned, particularly Bloomfield, Cropper, Muddy et. al, was a young friend named Teddy. Circa 1969. These were the days when every 3 or 4 guys that played all had bands. Everybody else was playing a Gibson SG or a Strat, with a few Gretch, or even a Harmony scattered through. Teddy had this old white tele and to my ears it just had that TONE, and I get chills thinking about all this stuff right now. When his drug intake wasn't so bad, he really cut it up on that guitar. I tried to buy it a few times, and he never would let it go.

Something happened between us, involving another buddy of mine and a girl that dumped Teddy because of his heroin habit. For some reason, he blamed me and our friendship grew apart. Over the years, I left the city behind and heard later that like so many others he OD'ed and died.

I hope somebody, somewhere, is taking care of that guitar.

Man...... there's gotta be a song in THAT story.

5. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

6. aaronfunk

aaronfunk TDPRI Member

I'll throw my two cents in and say Vince Gill.

7. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Roy Buchanan on The NET Special "The World's Greatest Unknown Guitarist".
    I too will NEVER - EVER forget "the rush" of hearing Roy play "Sweet Dreams"
    on the Record titled "Roy Buchanan".
    I think perhaps that "Sweet Dreams" rivals anything that has ever come out of the field of Country Music.
    I think it stands with "Crazy".
    I think it stands with "Stand By Your Man".
    I think it stands with "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry".
    I think it stands with "Long Black Veil".
    I do.

8. TeleYank

TeleYank TDPRI Member

Tele players that changed my life

When I first saw Keith Urban playing his TELE about 5 years ago that was it. Since then the TELE is and will always be number one.

9. '56Teleman

'56Teleman Tele-Afflicted

Roy Buchanan.

I've been listening to him since the early 70's and the hair on my arms still stands up when I throw one of his CD's in.

Sure, there are many other great Tele players I admire but he's the one who turned me on to all the things that can be done with one of the most basic electric guitars ever.

10. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I agree with you Stan, the TV NET documentary is a gem, and I watch it more often than any other of my music DVD's.

Someone said :"There are lots of great guitar players, but there is only one Roy Buchanan." True words !

11. pick & 2 fingers

pick & 2 fingers Tele-Meister

Ray Flacke.

The Ricky Skaggs albums he was on in the 80's made me want a Tele. Since then, there have been many.

12. WhiteAsh

WhiteAsh Tele-Meister

My friend - Jimmy Lum

Jim Messina

Albert Lee
    Buck Owens
    Merle Haggard
    James Burton

13. bonemachine78

bonemachine78 Tele-Meister

not exactly virtuosos but ....

i finally decided to try a telecaster after taking a closer look at eddie vedder's gear. he's about the only musician from that group of grunge rockers who almost exclusively used a tele for years before changing it up with (in my opinion) the dreaded SG. he's not a guitar legend, but i respect his music...

also frank black who i've already referenced too much on here with the few posts i've made. he brought an interesting feel to indie rock with the tele.

finally chrissie hynde... i'm not a huge pretenders fan but i always liked the sound of her guitar..

it was really more of a sound than a player i guess that did it. i started getting heavily into alt-country or country/punk, whatever you call it after buying some uncle tupelo discs a year or so ago, and i had heard telecasters would get me that unique sound.

14. singlecoil

singlecoil Tele-Meister

my first electric guitar was a fender mustang and I traded it for a tele when i was around 14 (50 now). i tried all different guitars, les pauls, 335, strats but always came back to telecasters with a strat in second place. Roy Buchanan definetly inspired me and still does. james burton, steve cropper, jim mesina all were badasses with teles. currently guys like brett mason and jerry donahue just amaze me. i gotta say that stevie ray made a strong case for the strat though. roy buchanan still drives the soul and tone deeper in my heart than anyone.

15. Tele84-86

Tele84-86 Tele-Meister

Keith Richards was the first Tele-player that changed my life, then came Jeff Beck and then Jimmy Page who has propably changed my life more than those two mentioned earlier.

16. RichardWitt

RichardWitt Tele-Afflicted

Bill Frisell ('Naked City' Years to present):
    Didn't know he was using a Tele at the time but his style, tone and technique changed my world for the better. It all made more sense once I purchased my first Tele.

17. Cat

Cat Tele-Meister

Jeff Buckley

Cat

18. Big Mike Blues

Big Mike Blues Tele-Meister

Well, I'm 32, so take that into account.

For me, I grew up on Elvis and Ricky Nelson, so it was James Burton. When I was buying my own music, it was the Police and Andy Summers. Got into Country and Buck Owens, Cash, Waylon etc. through Grandma and Hee Haw every weekend at her house coming up.
    My own real desire started with George Harrison and Keef. And worked my way through all my other music loves, and realized that for Single coil tones, more often than not it was the sound of a tele.

Don't use one much with my band right now, but still my favorite guitars.

19. brown meadows

brown meadows Tele-Meister

Jeff Buckley
    Steve Cropper
    Syd Barrett
    Jim Campilongo
    Danny Gatton
    Jimmy Page
    Buck Owens

20. bw

bw Tele-Meister

Waylon and Pete Anderson for me!After that, many others.Just about all of my fave players are tele players, guess I'm narrow minded or stubborn!bw

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.