1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele players that changed your life!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by skinny ted, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveandshelle

daveandshelle Tele-Afflicted

Here is a little story for ya..Redd Volkaert (he is probably going to think I am creepy but here it goes)..This will take a bit neat story though..I bought a 1971 Cutlass Rag in Midland Texas in '06..I love cars..Thought I would stop by the Alamo and Austin for a night to see Grady at the Redd eyed fly..I had been fiddlin with country since about '02 at the time but was a consummate blues guy and damn good at it and lots of confidence..Saw grady on the friday..their were three other bands playing that night..Big Chris Gates,Mother Truckers and Chili Cold Blood..All three of these bands blew my f'n mind with their creativilty..and chops..after the show I was talking to the guitarist from Chris Gates...He said you can't leave town until you see Redd.. I never heard of this guy and my tail was already between my legs so to speak..This was October 13 '06..stayed another day to see Redd at the Continental Club..as I walked in He was playing Orange Blossom special with Eric Hokkenin on fiddle..I f'n near had to change my shorts.. I had heard lots of Danny Gatton and everybody else but seeing this sort of thing in person and well.. Redd plays different than Danny and it suits me better..I stayed for the afternoon as well as had a nice chat with David Burn while sipping on a Lone Star ...I was hooked.. I haven't played my marshall since ...my 335 got put down ..I play my two strats and my tele and a slew of silver and blackface fenders I also have another tele being made as we speak.. and that may just be the death blow for the strats we will see..I have spent all of my vacation time in Austin since '06 and have been turned on to other bands Redd is in including Lucky Tomblin Heybale to name a few and also got to see and meet and talk geetar with Dave biller, Dale Watson.. who is fantastic..well the story can go on forever but I attribute my complete change of direction of guitar to him..the best part of it really is (as far as guitar is concerned) is looking at the instrument in a completely different light..And by the way I am getting ready to head down in the middle of may for 17 Days.. Yee F'n Haw..and then my fall trip as well.. Austin Texas.. Long may it wave..

2. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

Keith Richards...His playing got me hooked on guitar as a young teen.

James Burton...My all-time favorite. I've spent the last ump-teen years learning his twisted licks and have only scratched the surface!

3. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

John 5 because he helped me realize that teles aren't just for country twang.

4. doof

doof Tele-Holic

Graham Coxon!

Nixon Boyd! not very famous (yet), but he's from an up-and-coming Canadian band called Hollerado. Always plays a Squier tele.

these two guys are responsible for me converting to telecasters from les pauls.

5. MackBolan

MackBolan TDPRI Member

Damn,
    nobody mentions the Tele-Ninja:
    Scotty Anderson.
    I would love to know the name of the Berklee instructor-Jon Damian?

6. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Brent Mason and Vince Gill

7. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Danny Gatton! Embarrassed me for being so lazy, and just coasting along. Learning his music was/is enlightening.

8. akukulich

akukulich Tele-Meister

Without a doubt, it was Steve Cropper on "Green Onions" for me.

9. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

10. wolfchild

wolfchild Former Member

Firstly Andy Summers, then The Boss.

Seeing the Helecasters when I was 15 years old sealed the deal!

11. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

[​IMG]

12. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fezz, I'm sure most of us have heard about the Wrecking Crew, but not everyone knows about Howard Roberts.

Great jazz player though!

13. fezz parka

Great everything player. Taught me to play. I loves me some HR.

14. Telemarkman

Wish I had someone like that to teach me how to play ...

15. fezz parka

I was a lucky kid.:lol:

16. Telemarkman

So was I, but no one taught me how to play guitar ... :oops:

17. Gilby

Gilby Tele-Meister

Very oddly, the first person I saw playing a tele that made me think "that's way cool" was Robert Smith of The Cure, (and he's more well known for jazzmaster in his earlier days!). Think it was on the "orange" tour where he played a black, white guard, r/w necked one.
    I was clued up that Andy Summers, Chrissie Hynde and Joe Strummer were all tele players (oh and Charlene from the band Texas too) but it was Robert that was my earliest memory of wanting one.
    Bit older now, into Page, Beck, Rich from the Black Crowes as tele influence.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  18. geovox

geovox TDPRI Member

Jim Campilongo did it for me. Saw something about him in Guitar Player mag. Saw his old truly worn 52' tele and then youtubed him. Blown away by his sound and style! Got a CV50's soon after. Discovered Roy Buchanan through him as well.

19. mcgroup53

mcgroup53 TDPRI Member

+1

20. Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk Tele-Afflicted

Stephen Stills, Jim Messina, James Burton, Albert Lee, Keith Richards, Bruuuuuuuce......

P

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.