1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele + PJ IV + Tubescreamer type overdrive?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Turboconman, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Turboconman

Turboconman TDPRI Member

Hey there friendos,

Just looking for opinions here. I have a Mexican tele deluxe, and a stock pro jr IV. Right now my dirt section is an EP booster into a Snouse Black Box v2, but I'm looking to make an addition to the family, potentially replacing the EP but it could also be an addition.

There are a couple things I'm looking at (Hudson broadcast, another BB style overdrive, Timmy type), but among these are a ts style overdrive for a different flavor. My question is if anyone knows how this would jive with my rig? Particularly, if it would add too much mids with a tele and a mid-forward tweed amp like the PJ. Let me know what you all think.

2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Sounds like you are a fella who likes to sample all the available flavors.
    I’d say the route to follow would be to locate the nearest guitar center.
    Buy your potential favorite and try it out at home.
    Only way to know for sure.
    If it doesn’t sound right, exercise their generous return policy.

Repeat as necessary.

3. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Helix stomp...try all the flavors...?

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

One of the Greer stomps . Can dial up and down mids

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Klon
    RAT
    Fuzz Face

Or clones of those... Look up youtube videos with "affordaboard" on the 60 cycle hum channel and the videos by Pedal Bored comparing Klon and RAT options. You can outfit an entire board of mini pedals for the price of a single boutique pedal -- which makes experimenting to find what you want easy.

The Fuzz Face is a lot of fun because you use the guitar volume to dial it back to 'glassy Strat tones' like a famous player(s).

A Tube Screamer has more mids, so be cautious with that if you are trying to avoid mids.

And don't forget about stacking pedals. Sometimes two pedals stacked at low gain is better than either pedal alone at higher gain.

6. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

A Boss OD-200 might be a good fit. 4 memory slots, and allows you to stack distortion and overdrive sounds.

7. Turboconman

Turboconman TDPRI Member

I'd love to, but I'm in Switzerland so the local guitar center is a loooong way away. The place near here is not as friendly with.. anything actually.

I've always been interested but I've heard bad things. Any personal experience?

As for the helix, you are talking to a very poor customer.

8. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

No major personal experience beyond playing with one for about 30 minutes at a local shop.

The sounds were good and felt good to play. Only reason why I didn't get one is I got a great deal on a Vox AC15CH and bought that instead of effects.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.