Tele Pickups - Which N&B attributes combine to make a great sounding Middle position?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by RYAN1987M, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Beaubien66

Beaubien66 TDPRI Member

A twang snuffling sound that chime and sparkle at the same time.
    Vintage pickups anyway. A 52 set or 64 Grey bottom.

8trackmind and RYAN1987M like this.
  2. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

I use, and recommend:
    Bridge:http://www.ocduffpickups.com/plankster.html A3 magnets, high wind.
    Neck: http://www.ocduffpickups.com/bigboy.html A5 magnets, taller than a stock Tele pickup.

Excellent combo, middle sound is just pisser--fat, with an edge.
    Big fan. Quality pickups.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  3. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

I get what you're saying and frankly, my least favorite neck pickups on their own sound best in the middle position. The one exception has been the Fender '64 set. I like a Strat sounding neck pickup, but it falls short in the middle position.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  4. Beaubien66

Beaubien66 TDPRI Member

I had a Telecaster with Twisted Tele pickup at the neck and broadcaster at the bridge. Sound really good. With a hint of Stratocaster goodness.
    But I was missing the Telecaster true personality. The twang and the nasal chime.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  5. Diagoras

Diagoras Tele-Holic

My preferences are similar. I only use Alnico 5 in the neck and Alnico 2 in the bridge.

One trick I've used to make the middle Tele position sound better is to put a resistor between the bridge and middle lugs on the switch to somewhat reduce the influence of the bridge pickup in the middle position. It helps to round it out, making it less honky and more versatile. Otherwise I'm not a fan of the middle position.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  6. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Generally speaking, I'm fine with all mine - "generally" meaning guitars of whatever brand I own that have 2 pickups. On these, I typically just leave the switch in the middle position and add/subtract volume/tone on or the other (or both) to taste. It works well enough for me, I have a long standing hatred of bridge pickups on their own, for some reason.....at my advanced age, I wouldn't think the shrills would bother these old ears LOL

7. Irondog

Irondog TDPRI Member

I have the full twisted tele set, the middle position is spectacular, wiry, chirping bird, in the parallel humbucking. I absolutely love the bridge it bites (mids) perfectly, but I also cannot wait to put it in to the middle position, so the extra flat bobbin in the twisted tele bridge pickup seems remarkable, and contributes to absolutely one of the best middle positions I've ever had on any guitar.
    I really feel like that twisted tele set is a grand slam homerun.

I am in an extreme extended honeymoon with my fender 63 custom shop relic vintage twisted tele.
    I think also part of it that can help is also a lightweight body, it helps it have a slightly hollow sound in the middle. 6.7lbs
    [​IMG]

Beaubien66 and RYAN1987M like this.
  8. hamerfan

hamerfan TDPRI Member

First of all 6.5k is a worthless value without the wire spex. 6.5k of 43 awg has the winding number like 5.2 of 42 awg and this is low, 6.5k of 42 awg is crammed full telecaster neck bobbin and is in the ballpark of a 60ies strat pickup.
    A 6.5 of 43 awg should sound more like a lipstick pickup.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  9. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Same. I only play clean, and 90% of the time it's middle position (parallel). Tone pot/cap is almost always out of the circuit (no-load). Love my AV64 pickups (A5, low wind), and also the Fred Stuart Blackguard set (A3, lower wind).

For me, basically anything with low wind A3 magnets is a good starting point.

No-go tone for me is bridge on it's own, any winding; and Twisted Tele neck. Everybody loves 'em. I don't hear it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    RYAN1987M likes this.
  10. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

The "middle" sound is a result of comb filtering. You get the most complete comb filtering when the pickups are equally matched for voltage output. If one pickup is stronger than another, you will simply hear more of that pickup, and less of the comb filtering. But you don't want or need two pickups with equal inductance or DC resistance, you just have to raise or lowering the pickups until they sound about equally as loud when you switch back and forth between them. When people talk about Strat pickups not "quaking" enough, the issue isn't the pickups, its the relative output of the pickups not being well matched. That being said, if you have one humbucker and one single coil, it's difficult or impossible to match their outputs through height adjustment alone, so people install "super switches" to have it use just one of the two humbucker's coils in the "middle" positions.

When two pickups are wired in parallel, the resonant peak raises very high, higher than most guitar pickup by themselves, because two inductors in parallel always results in a drop in inductance. Inductance, which is the dominant factor in determine the resonant peak, is the #1 thing that sets pickups on the market apart from one another, all else being equal. So, when combined in parallel, the varied inductances which made the pickups so distinctive disappears, and the middle position ends up sounding rather homogeneous, with any difference owing more to the two pickup's relative output levels than anything else.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    RYAN1987M likes this.
  11. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

+1 My american Standard has that combination too, and it has the best middle position tone of all my teles.

12. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Meister

I would always choose a superb neck pickup and a superb bridge pickup, no matter if they‘ll sound superb together.
    I‘ve always found the middle position lacks character but that’s just me.

Diagoras and RYAN1987M like this.
  13. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

the clear, concise and most accurate answer to your question is ... the pickups that sound best to your ears, in your guitar, with you playing, through your modulation assembly (if any), through the amalgam of your amplification system.

anything else is, well, hearsay conjecture and personal opinion because there are at least six million, four hundred and fifty seven thousand, nine hundred and thirty one valid answers to your question. and of course, YMMV. ;)

eallen and RYAN1987M like this.
  14. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Rob is absolutely Wrong... there are 6,457,932 answers to your question. You would think Rob would know that. :p and that's only the valid answers..

There are several orders of magnitude more in the way of pure unfounded conjecture .. predicated by many of the malformed manufacturer's propagation of marketing hype relating to the various components, add-ons and other "stuff" that can be inserted in the "consortium" that eventually results in a sound emitting from the amp...

Or.. If 'YOU" are looking for the "best" there is only one way to find it.. "you" have to try "stuff" until ya find it. And then.. your "love affair" with whatever ya found will last only until the next "best" surfaces.

rk

15. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

aw, cr@p - yer right again ron! dammit! ;)

16. Beaubien66

Beaubien66 TDPRI Member

Wow, a really sweet guitar !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.