tele pickup suggestions

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by guitarguy1964, Dec 18, 2016.

1. guitarguy1964

guitarguy1964 TDPRI Member

Hi everyone!
    I put together a partscaster using a warmoth thinline body with a rosewood fretboard. I also used a six saddle bridge. For pickups I used the Seymour Duncan vintage stack neck and a lil 59 bridge pickup. My reasoning was I was concerned about noise and I did want a more "modern" sound, I have been pretty happy with the sound but today I compared it head to head with my avri 62 tele custom with stock pickups. Wow! I liked the 62 so much better. I'm thinking I made a mistake with at the very least the lil 59. Was too much mids and none of the twang. Of course I knew that would be the case when I went with them.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should replace the seymour Duncans with? I also have experience with the seymour duncan antiquities and I liked them at the time. I'm also thinking about the fender original vintage pickups. I also have some pickups that I pulled out of my Tele Select lying around. I really liked the tone of them a lot but they are the noisiest single coil pickups I have heard in my life! I replaced them with a dimarzio chopper t in the bridge and the area t in the neck. I do like those pickups in that guutar but they are more modern sounding, I think maybe I should go more traditional with the thinline.

Noiseless may not as important to me as I thought originally. I used some noise suppresion just now and it worked just fine for me. But I'm not opposed to noise canceling pickups.

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. midnight340

midnight340 Tele-Meister

These days you will get a lot of response about the various Cavalier pickups. Have yet to try them, but will install a set after the holidays.

guitarguy1964 likes this.
  3. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Try out Bill Lawrence's noiseless L200TL and L202TN, which are pretty conservative (Alnico poled) but perfectly clear and warm -- pretty much a 50s Tele setup without the muddy neck. Worlds away from the lil 59 or the chopper t. I think you're been picking entirely the wrong pickups for a noisefree Tele, since those are all about trying to cram "humbucker" sounds where they don't fit, which can be to some players' tastes but are definitely not Tele.

guitarguy1964 and JD0x0 like this.
  4. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Pretty much what Derek said. Get a low inductance stacked pickup for hum canceling and twang. You got pickups that were going for humbucker tone in a single coil sized package.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Put a 0.047uF cap in series to the 59 and see if that helps pick up the brightness and twang. You could also measure the volume pot and search around for one that measures higher.

6. guitarguy1964

guitarguy1964 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies so far! Very helpfull!
    I hadn't heard of the Cavalier pickups, I just checked out the we site and will do so me more research.

I knew exactly what I was getting into with the lil 59 and Chopper t, at the time I thought I wanted more of a humbucker sound than the traditional Tele sound. I guess I should have made that clearer in my original post. I own several Teles and I wanted some thing different or so I thought at the time! I'm going to leave the tele select the way it is with the dimarzio I do like them in that guitar and they fill that need for me. I just think I need to go more traditional with the thinline.

I did research the Bill Lawrence pickups when I was looking for the pickups for the select. If I remember correctly aren't they a little bit taller? I will look into them again! I may be remembering that wrong. With the tele select that was an issue not so much with the thinline. I do have a friend that has them in one of his Teles and he loves them.

I am also intrigued by the Lindy Fralin split blade pickups.

Again thanks so much for the suggestions!

7. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

Don Mare - Hayride

8. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

4.98 to 7.3k, alnico 3 or 5 magnets, with a .022 cap

wire it 4 way for fun

should do ya

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.