Tele pickup specs

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by GuitarJonz, Dec 22, 2008.

1. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Below is a comparison of specs on a number of tele pups I've had over the years. There are others too before I started measuring & keeping track (Rio, VZ, Fender, Duncan, BL). I know that resistance readings don't mean anything re output, but here goes.
    Re the Weider vintage tele, he let me measure the pups at a show, while in the guitar, I compensated for them being installed by adding .25k ohms, per Don Mare.

Tele pickup values

Resistance in Ohms

Weider ’52 tele NECK 6.29k
    #4248 BRIDGE 7.28k

Don Mare 1965 BRIDGE 6.8k
    (Green Onions)

Fender MIM 50s NECK 7.27

Duff Nancy NECK 7.2k
    BRIDGE 5.9k

52 RI (post 1998) NECK 6.52k

Hamel Tall NECK 6.3k
    Hamel Std BRIDGE 7.2k
    Hamel B’caster BRIDGE 8.3k

Suhr Classic T BRIDGE 7.69k
    (V60's Low Peak)

Harmonic Design NECK 5.92k
    Vintage Plus BRIDGE

Joe Barden NECK 4.53k
    BRIDGE 4.69k

Keystone NECK 5.15k

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  2. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

Any clue where I can find resistance values for a 2007 MIM Standard Tele?

3. teleftcaster

teleftcaster Tele-Meister

Fender site may have it. Other than that, you can check it yourself with a cheap multimeter. It's pretty easy to do.

4. twangcaster1

twangcaster1 Friend of Leo's

Multimeter would be the best way to get an accurate value, in my opinion.

5. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Tele-Meister

It does mean something in context with other factors, it's just not the sole determiner of output.

Don's right. Also be aware that the readings will shift quite a bit with changes in temperature. Colder = lower reading and vice versa.

6. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

2007 MIM Standard Tele

I have a 2006 Nashville Tele (which would be the same pups) I removed and they were:

Bridge 8.11K
    Neck 5.9 K

7. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

So how do you measure output? Can that be measured out of the guitar?
    Can you make any correlation of the resistance to the output in a general way?

8. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

The MIM Deluxe Nashville Tele pups are the Tex Mex Tele pups; those readings above are fairly consistent (although the bridge's DC resistance is sometimes higher) with both what I've measured and what I've read from others' accounts.

I believe the MIM Standard AlNiCos (not the current ceramic version) are a different spec, accounts I've read indicate the neck is usually close to but a little under 8k.

I have some readings I've collected from several different models. It would be good if we could get them into a database and have a way to display them in a tabular format here that all could read. Mine are in an Excel spreadsheet.

9. bolt5

bolt5 TDPRI Member

When researching pickups I found a vintage fender spec chart at http://www.provide.net/~cfh/pickups.html. We were trying to determine if we were getting the right output from our tele. Seymour Duncan has some good info on their website. We did a quick comparison on our three guitars ( strat/ LP/ tele) by checking the resistance from signal to ground at the cable jack - it read lower than the pickup spec, but was good on a relative basis and was noninvasive. I think we got that tip from a post here.

10. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

To measure pickups in a guitar, I use a multimeter, set on 20k ohms, and a shortie cord (as used between pedals), with pots on full. Plug one end into guitar, touch one lead to the tip of the plug, the other to the shaft, then add .25k ohms for a pretty accurate reading.

11. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

I take it your talking about measuring the resistance?
    Is there a way to get the output measurements?
    How do I measure how hot or not a pickup is?

thanks

12. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ohms is a resistance measurement-more wire = more resistance.
    More wire = more powerful voltage generator.

Pickups generate a voltage, so if you had a meter that read LOW enough you would get some reading but generally speaking, the resistance reading in comparing one pickup to another can determine how "powerful" it will be, with all other things being equal, i.e. the inductance of the pickup, the type of magnet, position of the pickup (bridge or neck).

The higher the resistance ("hotter" pickup), the more voltage it puts out to drive the amp .........that's the short version.

13. pgambon

pgambon Tele-Meister

DiMarizo used to (and may still) measure peak output hitting a "A" note. Great idea but unless every manufacturer complies to an exact procedure, comparisons would be useless. For Tele pups that are mostly similar, ohms is a good indicator. Other factors to consider would be wire gauge, magnet type, potting and scatter wind (or not).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.