1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

tele pickup cover install

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by TP3363, Aug 28, 2020.

1. TP3363

TP3363 NEW MEMBER!

i'm changing all my chrome hardware on my tele to gold and i got everything covered except the neck pickup. Does the process involve soldering? i have no idea how to solder and it would be extremely helpful if someone could walk me through the process, especially one that does not involve soldering.

2. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

yes there is a wire soldered to the bridge cover. I suppose you could drill a tiny hole down low where it won't be above the pickguard & insert the wire and twist it tight. the real way is to solder though. it will make noise without that wire

3. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Usually when one removes a tele neck pickup cover, it doesn't end well. Too many things can go wrong. :cool:

4. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Yes. It needs to be soldered. Have you thought about gold leaf? Might work.

5. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Apply a little heat with a hair dryer to loosen up the potting wax, make sure nothing is sticking out that might drag against the windings, then gently, very gently, lift the cover straight up.

Reverse the process with the new cover. If you break any coil windings, game over.

Buy or borrow a soldering iron and some solder. Tack the ground wire in place. Heat the work, not the solder. You’re done.

Who dares, wins. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. It’s learning. Go for it. People who have never made a mistake have never done anything of significance. You can do it.

Brendan and mojavedesert like this.
  6. mojavedesert

mojavedesert Tele-Meister

Just look for the little solder blob under the pickup. It'll be near the edge of the metal cover, sometimes there's tab that has to be bent to slip the cover off you heat up the blob and suck the solder out with a solder sucker. If there's a ground wire just heat that thing up and pull it off gently. Or just heat it up until it turns to liquid an pull it apart, if you don't have a solder sucker. Put the solder tip right on the blob you want to heat up. Let solder iron heat up really hot before you start, then put the tip right on there, like for 5 seconds or a bit longer not too long or you're doing it wrong. You might have to leave the iron on the cover longer, to get it too loosen from the wax potting inside. Don't heat it up on the top it may discolor the plating, heat it up on the bottom or side.

You can practice on some cheap parts you have around. Take something apart, solder it back together. You'll get the hang of it. Normal when you begin, things get soldered to the end of the tip. Pull it off clean off the tip with a damp sponge.
    Also there might be some wax inside the cover, you can heat the cover up to make it loosen. Heat up the new cover the same way, after it's on there, and the ground wire is reattached, so the wax fills in the void between the pickup and the cover. It's a crude thing, the wax is only there so it doesn't become microphonic. If it becomes microphonic heat up the pickup upside-down so it drains into the top of the cover.

I'm mainly playing esquires now but I took a bunch of different brand pickup covers off over the years, they are all a little bit different.

Steerforth likes this.
  7. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

I think we can all agree that that is not the ideal item to use to learn to solder?

maxvintage and Asmith like this.
  8. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I'm pretty sure it would scratch off pretty easy and it wouldn't go down perfectly flat either.

Also I second that dismantling a pickup is not something to be attempted by someone with no experience with an iron. It would take a lot of practice before being something to attempt otherwise you'll save yourself more money by simply selling the current pickup and buying a similar one with a gold cover.

Collin D Plonker likes this.
  9. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

But a new pickup. It would be easy to screw up removing the cover, and break some windings. And it would be easy to overheat when soldering it back together--overheating is a big issue with learning to solder

Or go ahead and try it, but be prepared to maybe have to buy a new pickup in addition to the new cover

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.