1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele pickup advice:

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by jseaburg, Jun 19, 2009.

1. jseaburg

jseaburg TDPRI Member

Ok, so I've made the decision to put new pickups in my tele. I did my homework, listened to samples and I think I'm going to put a SD Lil' 59 in the bridge, and a Texas special from a strat in the neck. The cutout of the guitar itself is big enough, I just need to get a new pick guard that I can carve up. My question is, does anyone know if it'll work soundwise? Should I just hold out to find a twisted tele pup?

2. SteveY

SteveY Tele-Afflicted

You'll need to reverse the wiring on the Fender pickup so it will be in phase with the SD Lil'59.
    I would think it will work out and probably sound pretty good.

The Lil'59 is very popular.
    I had one on a recent esquire style build. I used a 500K vol pot and a 1 meg tone pot.
    The Duncan wiring diagram showed 250K pots, but I tend to go for brighter sounds so wanted the 1 meg tone pot especially. I don't know what they sound like with 250K pots.

3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Depending on the route, the neck pickup might be a real tight squeeze, as a Strat pickup has a bigger form factor than a Tele neck pickup.

With that bridge pickup, it won't really twang much - it'll sound more like a Tele Deluxe or Gibsonish. The neck should sound OK - don't expect it to sound exactly Stratty in the neck-only as the Strat has a different position first pickup. plus there's the solid bridge vs. springloaded trem.

4. SteveY

SteveY Tele-Afflicted

Really?
    I always thought Leo put them both right where the 2nd octave null would be.

5. jseaburg

jseaburg TDPRI Member

Translation: Do it, just pay somebody better than you to do it. Right?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.