1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

'Tele-Phone'

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Mr. St. Paul, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

Greetings and salutations from a long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I swung a trade last week for a 1996 Epiphone T-310. I had a Squier Jaguar that I just couldn't get the sound I wanted out of and as a result it spent too much time gathering dust. I have a pretty good selection of guitars, but for some reason I've never had a Tele. So I put it up for sale or trade for a T-type.

I've read comments online that dismiss the T-310 as a cheap plywood guitar, but I have to say I really like this guitar. I'm 99% sure the body is plywood (can see the layers on the edge of the body through the black paint), but it's not outrageously heavy like most plywood bodies. The maple neck is a nice size, not too chunky. I've heard the T-310s of this era had skinny necks, but I was relieved to find it wasn't the case with this one.

Hardware and electronics are sound. There is virtually no hum or buzzing from the guitar, it's well-shielded and the pots are good quality. Pickups are stock and ceramic, but they sound good. The only issue is a bit of microphonic squealing on the bridge pickup while using the gain channel.

It's in pristine shape. The seller bought it new in 1996 and played it a handful of times. He's primarily a drummer who collects guitars that he likes the look of. There is no fret wear and only a tiny ding on the back of the guitar. He even gave me the prepack checklist/warranty card that came with the guitar 18 years ago!

I like the black pickguard/black finish combo. I know some folks don't care for the batwing headstock with a Tele body, But I dig how it looks.

I'm constantly picking this up and enjoying the heck out of it. And kicking myself for playing guitar for 35 years without jumping in the Tele pool!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  2. Bush Wiebe

Bush Wiebe Tele-Meister

My first guitar was an Epiphone T-310 with the hockey stick head stock. I loved that guitar and is the one I most regret selling. It played smooth and fast, had hot pickups and was just a great guitar. Thumbs up!

3. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Waaa? That's cool. I'd love to try one.

4. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Afflicted

Very nice guitar! Welcome to the telecaster club!

5. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Very cool. Congrats.

6. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

"Tele-phone." What else would you call it? That's perfect! :lol:

And like you, I really like the black-on-black look. It reminds me of the Deluxe Blackout Tele that Fender came out with about 7 years ago. That really caught my eye back then, and I still think it's a great look, especially with that complementary/contrasting maple fretboard. Here's what I'm talking about...

[​IMG]

And while the T-310's "batwing" headstock (good description) isn't to my liking, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, especially when it says "Epiphone" and "Gibson" on the headstock and truss rod cover. Just makes it more quirky and interesting.

Cool trade, nice score. Congrats.

7. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I don't know why people diss plywood bodies, they're hard as a rock. You don't have to worry about them getting dinged every time you look at them.

8. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The batwing is waaayyy better than the hockey-stick headstock, looks-wise. As for what it's made of, if it sounds good and plays well, who gives a rat's patootie?

9. decal

decal Tele-Meister

St. Paul and funky telecasters..what's not to love!

10. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

First mod upcoming...just snagged a set of Fender Tele pickups off the Bay. Time to heat up the soldering iron.

And hello, decal! Always nice to 'meet' a homeboy!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.