Tele perimeter (so I know how much binding to buy)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by sothoth, Jul 24, 2019.

1. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I realize I can figure this out multiple ways but instead of getting out a strip of soft measuring tape or a dxf drawing and doing it myself, I thought I’d ask the experts here so I can enjoy all the interesting responses...

I am making a new build from scratch and want to bind the top and bottom with maple or koa and need to decide how many strips to buy including some extra for the “newbie at binding” factor. What’s the outside perimeter in inches so I know how much to buy?

Thanks in advance

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

Roughly 56.5"....lucky for you I have a body next to me and a flexible tape 10 feet away otherwise I'd say:

Print out the TDowns drawing that we all use. Make sure you measure known dimensions and that they are accurate before you pay for it.

Make a pattern. Then get out a measuring tape and measure it. Then order extra binding material so when you break it you still have enough.

I'd take out a tape and measure it but it'll be more meaningful if you do it and check my measurement :) Enjoy!

Post 585 here:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/d-size-tele-body-blueprint-files-here.74504/page-30

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Mr_Q and Fretting out like this.
  3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

just happened to have a soft tape measure on my table..handy little thing in a retracting spool...

once around my tele complete is @ 55".... there ya go..:)

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

My body was made in Texas....:)

Arch Stanton likes this.
  5. sothoth

Oh man, I thought someone who did binding would know off the top of their head. I didn’t mean for you to do what I could have done. But thanks!!

6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

Most wood binding comes in 32 inch strips, you will need two for the top, two for the back. You'll splice them at the butt. I would suggest getting at least two extra pieces because there is a very real chance of breaking them as you bend the horn. The rest of the bends are pretty straight forward and shouldn't crack but particularly with figured wood you run that risk.

If I'm making an acoustic guitar I bend the binding when I do the sides in a Fox style bender. For a solid body guitar I make a jig for the body shape and bend using a hot pipe. (This is an archtop, not a tele - the horn is much more forgiving. Flamed maple with a rosewood purfling line)

IMG_3505.JPG

IMG_3509.JPG

This is a tele being bound in rosewood. That horn and the little curve on the bass side are tight!

IMG_4659.JPG

I_build_my_own likes this.
  7. sothoth

Thanks for the tips. Not sure if I will do figured or not... but likely will give it a whirl. Do you think koa or maple is more likely to break?

8. Freeman Keller

The "figure" of either wood means that the grain isn't running in a nice straight line, it is wiggling back and forth. That means it is much weaker at the "figures" and prone to pulling apart or breaking there. When I bend straight grained wood like rose or mahogany or ebony it almost never breaks - unfortunately I really like the effect of the figure so I do use a lot of maple. One thing that you can do (sometimes) is pull the little splits back together with some CA.

I've never done koa binding but this is koa back and sides with maple binding. Big curves, no cutaway, no problems

Tricone 2.JPG Tricone 6.JPG

9. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

run masking tape around the body perimeter... pull it off and measure it.

Hey Freeman, beautiful stuff!

guitarbuilder likes this.
  10. sothoth

That’s really spectacular, thanks for posting :)

11. Freeman Keller

Thank you. I bind almost everything I make, usually with wood unless its a guitar that just look right with plastic (a Les Paul maybe). I like to use wood that contrasts with the main body wood, and often I will carry a theme all the way thru a guitar. That tri cone has the head and fretboard also bound in maple and a three piece neck with a maple center strip.

I've learned a couple of tricks about binding with wood - when you get ready to do yours we should talk again. Looking forward to seeing what you have in mind.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.