Tele-Paul-Les-Caster builds

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Muzikp, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Matt Haskins

Matt Haskins Tele-Meister

I'm really trying to stay away from building so many Teles and then I see pictures like these and I get ideas for new Tele projects. I need to spend less time on this website. Man I like the look of this trio!

2. Scooby Snax

Scooby Snax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hmmm.... I emailed ICI / Dupont to get the recipe for Daphne Blue. They did send it to me, and I had the auto body shop mix me up some.

So... have you tried to email them?

3. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

No I didn't try e-mail. Who did you send the e-mail to? That would be awesome to get the recipe.

4. johnboy99

johnboy99 Tele-Meister

these are beautiful! I especially like the orange one - spectacular - can't wait to see them all put together. Thanks for sharing.

5. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

comic relief

There are some beautiful and inspiring builds in this thread, but here's one that's not:
    [​IMG]
    :D

6. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Hmmm, guess I'm a sicko...............but I like it! :)

7. JeffPBlues

JeffPBlues Tele-Holic

Well, let's just say that it is definitely different. :eek: But there is always something for somebody. I really like that neck though!

8. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

^ I think it would be better with Melody Maker headstock.

9. xtemplarx

xtemplarx TDPRI Member

That looks like a MIJ neck from the 60s-70s. I have a collection of Univox guitars and that neck (particularly, those inlays) are spot-on for my univox LP copy.

10. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

I would like to ask you waat angle you set your neck at. I am making something similar and finding it hard to dial in the neck angle to fit to the bridge on a flat top guitar. The Les Paul sits at about 4 degrees but the top is not flat so it is something less. I am doing it by trial and error but so far mostly error. I did not want the bridge to high but neede some angle down to the tail piece. I as thinking it would be like a Les Paul Junipr but I did not find a neck angle for a Junior. I am thinking something like 2 degrees but would like to confirm with you.
    Smoking nice build by the way. CheersRon.

11. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

It's a "lawsuit era" neck that I picked up on craigslist for another project. There was a thread a while back where the OP wanted to know what a Tele would look like with an Les Paul-style neck. Just for a laugh, I grabbed the neck and stuck it on one of my Partscaster projects.

It's now on another guitar entirely that started out like this.
    Thanks to my Cousin, who is very handy with spray paint, it's now looking like this:

[​IMG]

I think a Dot neck would look better with this, but it is something of a 'rat rod' guitar made with various bits & pieces.

/sorry about the threadjack :oops:

12. mlp-mx6

mlp-mx6 Tele-Holic

How deep is that carve across the top? Is the neck pocket still ~5/8"? Is the heel not as thick as a regular Tele? I'm curious about how much thinner they made the heel.

Really nice that you got a signed one. This is the style guitar Larry played on his Christmas album. Great tones.

13. xtemplarx

xtemplarx TDPRI Member

Not bad for a rat rod guitar! As long as it plays and sounds well, who could complain? :D My Univox LP is also of the lawsuit era, or rather, PRE-lawsuit. Thus, I have the book shaped headstock as well. Very cool.

14. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Back from an awesome family vacation.

[​IMG]

It’s time to get the color on this tele. I have a secret weapon at my disposal for 1 day only. My Mom is passing through town on her way home from the family vacation. Just so happens she is an incredible artist, and unlike her son, she is not color illiterate.

I picked up every pink sample I could find in hopes to match the sample card to the actual color to help us mix it perfect.

[​IMG]

Turns out there was a perfect match in the bunch. So we used that for our master color and begin the drops of color. We started with a bit of white in a jar. The object, as I was told, was to get the correct warmth and hue in the jar and then mix it back in the white can til it was correct.

[​IMG]

So we have the right color tone and hue in the jar now, time to start mixing it back into the white.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice the color in the jar is much darker, that’s why we just add a little at a time to the white until it’s perfect.

[​IMG]

And finally we have it. Can you see the drop of color on the card?

[​IMG]

Then all that’s left is to spray it on the guitar. Unfortunately the pictures don’t capture the color at all. I’ll take it out in the sun in a bit and try and get a decent shot that shows the color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That’s it for now. Next come the clear coats and then wet sanding and polishing.

15. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Wow James,

That must have been a great vacation! And your mom is awesome for doing that. Gotta love the talent. Missed your typed voice in these parts.

Rob

16. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Ok trying hard to capture the color on camera, not that easy to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do we think? Too light of a pink? Just right?

17. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Well, it looks lighter than recent pics of Shell Pink but it does look good.

18. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Yep I was thinking it looked a little on the light side but it looks really nice in person with the black guard on that color.

19. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Juuuuuuuust right! Reranch says white pickguards look best with SP. That black does the deco thing just right. It's beautiful James!

20. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

James , gotta say I'm not big on SP but that looks pretty nice with that black pg , I think you are spot on :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.