Tele Olympic White '68 help

DaveMorse

TDPRI Member
Hi to everybody, ok I did not understand the point of chomps about the neck sorry can you please reformulate the sentence?

Regarding the finishing I don't know if it is nitro or not since it has quite never been played.

I think it is an early 69 since there are parts in common with 69 and 68 production, in order:

1) Neck 3DEC68B
2) Neck palte 230023
3) no cable route and 069 stamp on the body but 68 shape
4) Pot dates 1966
5) cables and wiring cloth covered (not plastic)
6) Bridge '68
7) CRL1452 switch 3 way with plastic wheel
8) pick ups 6.4kohm and 6.3kohm cloth wire

The guitar was bought in the middle of the 69 in italy so I think was built in the very beginning of 69 in USA. Everything form 68 except body early 69.

Pictures attached. If you have curiosity you can ask I will be happy to take pictures.

At the end it sounds great and I have a fantastic feeling on it, I paid a fair price in respect the price I saw on internet for same specs tele (5k€ to 7.5k€), it is full original and sounds great, no noise changing the pickups etc...

Now a good set up and a lot of fun.

WhatsApp Image 2018-07-25 at 15.47.38.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-07-25 at 15.47.38 (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-07-25 at 15.47.38 (1).jpeg

Adam Wolfaardt

Tele-Meister
View attachment 531926
I thought the change in value was more related to the change from nitro to poly finishes. The nitro finish on my June ‘68 neck shows the playing wear, whereas a ‘69 poly finish would not. 68 was a translation year from nitro to poly on both the neck and body.
You are correct. I was assuming that by December '68 all the necks were poly

chomps

Tele-Meister
Disregard my previous comment on the maple cap fingerboard. At first glance, it looked like a slab board, but when zoomed in it looks fine. The “slab board” was an optical illusion from the finish aging differently where is was exposed vs unexposed. It’s all good!

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I see a slab fretboard there. A straight-on shot of the butt of the neck would either confirm what I see.....but the curved fretboards are not that thick, ime.

DaveMorse

TDPRI Member
I see a slab fretboard there. A straight-on shot of the butt of the neck would either confirm what I see.....but the curved fretboards are not that thick, ime.

Hi Wally, it is a veneer fretboard maple...I checked, the paint bring you to think that is a slab but it is an illusion....follow the red line and you see the division also on the photo and it is a veneer

upload_2018-7-26_18-28-55.png

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Thanks for the clarification. That nitro aging threw me...... and the color difference was weird to my eye for a cap..... again...thanks. Nice looking guitar.

whoanelly15

Tele-Afflicted
Stunner. Congratulations! Question: are those saddles original? If so, when did that style become standard?

DaveMorse

TDPRI Member
Stunner. Congratulations! Question: are those saddles original? If so, when did that style become standard?

Yes the guitar is all original. F tuners Become standard in the '67 unti the '74 this model (for as far as I know)

Southpole

Tele-Afflicted
The contrast between the aged finish and the finish from under the scratch plate is remarkable. Does any other Fender colour/finish change this much over time?

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The contrast between the aged finish and the finish from under the scratch plate is remarkable. Does any other Fender colour/finish change this much over time?

The yellowing is due to the effect of light on the nitro clear, and all nitro finishes yellow. Sonic blue finishes will turn to a hue of green, for instance. Blacks will exhibit a bit of a green, too. Gibson ‘silver bursts’ start out liver with a black burst around the edges....and they turn green, too.

tunerfish

TDPRI Member
Everything looks good to me except for something unusual about the maple cap neck. It appears to be a slab (flat bottom maple cap) as opposed to a curved (veneer maple cap). I have a ‘68 Tele and it has a curved maple cap (June 68 stamp). Any experts out there know what’s up with that? I’m not saying it’s not legit - just learning something new about Fender’s ways.

My 1968 Tele has a curved maple laminate. My very similar
Tokai Paisley has a slab maple cap.

pacealot

NEW MEMBER!
Regarding the case, it looks like the same shape case that Syd Barrett had for his black ’68 Custom (centre pic on left):

IC.jpg

Last edited:

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity

Yup. You should see my c1999 MIM 69 Thinline RI - ten years ago it developed significant tan lines. Now the exposed body is russet brown, and the neck is going brown.

78_under_pickguard.jpg

Here's my 78 Blond (501). I think this is a polyester finish. See the nitro on the fingerboard end? The headstock went like that too.

Last edited:

Southpole

Tele-Afflicted
Yup. You should see my c1999 MIM 69 Thinline RI - ten years ago it developed significant tan lines. Now the exposed body is russet brown, and the neck is going brown.
Post a pic if you have one!

I have an Ice Blue Metallic Strat that has gone a silvery green colour but the original colour is under the scratch plate. More of a sky blue. Must remember to take a pic next time I restring.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
Post a pic if you have one!

I have an Ice Blue Metallic Strat that has gone a silvery green colour but the original colour is under the scratch plate. More of a sky blue. Must remember to take a pic next time I restring.
Ok, dull day today - the shade under the P/g is how I remember it new. In bright light the area under the guard looks much lighter.
IMG_20180808_115649.jpg

The neck was almost as pale as a new American Standard.
IMG_20180808_115839.jpg

You can see where my fingers are wearing through the MOTS - no I don't smoke.

The colour of the raw wood visible in the f-hole and gouges on the body is slightly darker than the area under the pickguard. The whole guitar was once the lighter shade.

I believe this finish is water-thinned poly-u.

More'n one person has sidled up to me and asked if this is a real 69. I usually tell 'em it was Curtis Mayfield's......

Last edited: