Tele: New Original 60s or Old AVRI Custom 62

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Fhede, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Fhede

Fhede TDPRI Member

The Original 60s tribute the Custom '64, seems to be pretty similar to the old Custom 62 AVRI except for the non-correct improvement 9.5'' radio. Unfortunately has the same vintage frets, it would have been great with a 6105!
    Are pretty the same? What do you think about these to beauties?

Dukex and El Tele Lobo like this.
  2. Andoris

Andoris Tele-Meister

Both good options. If you can wait until 2020, and like the color, WildWood Guitars is releasing a 1962 Thin Skin Custom in surf Green(essentially the same as an American Vintage but with 9.5 radius and 6105 frets). Link to pic below

1962-fender-telecaster-custom-surf-green-reissue-7_1080x.jpg

Also to consider is the AO's have poly under the nitro, the finish will last longer, but not wear as well/naturally as the all nitro on the AV or Thin Skins.

bryan83, Dukex, Fhede and 1 other person like this.
  3. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

That '62 is a looker. I normally not a surf green kinda guy but with the double bound body it's a beauty.

Fhede likes this.
  4. Slidedude

Slidedude Tele-Holic

Oh Lordy that is a beautiful Tele.

Wildwood, just take my money now.

Fhede likes this.
  5. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

Maybe it's the lighting, but it looks way more like a seafoam green to me....

DanDII likes this.
  6. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Man, I love my AV62 perhaps more than any other guitar I’ve owned the past 48 years. It floats my boat in every way: 7# even, sings like an angel or gets down and dirty, looks right, feels right...I love it. I might just play it at low volume tonight while watching TV with the missus instead of one of my Gibson flattops. They’ve been trying to butt in.

But I finally was able to handle one of those AO ‘60s Teles at Elderly last week and they are truly nice. Didn’t plug it in but maybe it would even sound as good as my AV62?

To me it would come down to the neck radius, profile and frets. Even though I play a lotta acoustic and like their flatter radius + bigger frets, I’m not as keen on taller frets with Teles so even the ‘vintage tall’ might feel a bit odd to my ham-handed fretting hand. I’m fine with vintage or 9.5” radius but as the latter seems to always come with taller frets it kinda throws me off. I’m not knowledgeable enough on the AO neck profile as I didn’t play it long enough to really tell. My AV62 fits my aching old hand like a glove.

If money matters (and it does to me no matter what price range you’re talking) you could probably find a used AO for less than an AV62 in similar condition. It could be a good way to check one out.

https://reverb.com/item/25380175-fender-american-original-60-s-telecaster

VWAmTele and Fhede like this.
  7. Fhede

Fhede TDPRI Member

Nice axe!
    But defenitevely I am a Sunburst guy! :D
    As far as I know, the AVs also have a base of poly. :confused: Anyway, it isn't an issue for me! :)

8. Fhede

Fhede TDPRI Member

Thanks Stubee!
    That's is a nice price! Unfortunately I don't live in the USA, if I were that Tele AO would already be mine! ;)

Stubee likes this.
  9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The AO 60s is not the same frets. It has vintage tall. Notably bigger frets than the AV series.

If you like the idea of the 60s bound Tele, but prefer flatter board and bigger frets, it’s the one for you. I’ve pocked up several AO 60s in shops and they are uniformly great.

Fhede likes this.
  10. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

I love my '62 AVRI, and I do not think 9.5 is an improvement over 7.25 anymore than Gibson 12.0 is an improvement over 9.5. Just different. Regardless, enjoy whichever you get! Shelley 6.JPG

BobbyMac, VWAmTele, bryan83 and 2 others like this.
  11. Fhede

Fhede TDPRI Member

Totally agree.
    Between 9.5 and 12 is a good balance for me. Anyway I like a lot the 7.25 radius. Two of my best axes have 7.25 radius: AVRI, Tele Classic Series 60s.
    But if I can choose I will go for a 9.5 o 10 radius. ;)

Dukex likes this.
  12. Fhede

Fhede TDPRI Member

The fretboard is rounded in the OA while de AV is has the slab one.
    I have never tried a rounded, but by listening YT I have the impression that is a kind of half way between the maple fretboard and the slab rosewood fretboard. It's a matter of taste pf course.
    What do you think about this?

13. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

American Originals do have 6105 frets. Wider and taller than 6230 "vintage" style, but not so much that they feel a ton bigger (especially if you put a nice tight crown on them). They are often called "tall vintage" or "vintage tall."

9.5" and wider frets are not an improvement hands down. They are just a preference for some people.

If you want a lacquer finish with 9.5" and mediums, then you want the AO (2018 to present), or a Wildwood Thin-Skin.*

If you want Flash-Coat (same as Wildwood's Thin-Skin, but with Fender's own name for it instead of Wildwood's) with 7.25" radius and skinny frets, you want the AV Series instruments (late 2012 through 2017).

If you want standard poly sealed finish with thick lacquer, but 7.25" radius and skinny frets, you want V Series (early '80s through 1997), AVRI Series (1998 through late 2012), or MIM Classic Lacquer Series (now gone, unsure when it started).

* AOs are the same specs as the Wildwoods, but with different finishes. AOs have a poly sealer coat and regular V/AVRI-style thick lacquer. The Wildwoods use a lacquer sealer and lacquer that is mixed with extra thinner before spraying...as did the AV Series. This results in more fragile color and clear coats, and a sealer that will eventually wear and chip down to the bare wood, as opposed to the poly sealer, which only wears down to the poly. Thin-Skins/Flash-Coats (AV Series and Wildwoods) are fairly accurate repros of the Fender finishing processes pre-1963. Fender's lacquer-over-poly finishes (V Series, AVRI Series, AO Series) are more vintage accurate to 1963-1967 Fender finishes, which used Fullerplast as a one-step sealer and grain filler, with lacquer on top.

In summary:

V Series (early '80s – 1997): poly sealer, thick lacquer, 7.25" radius, 6230s.

AVRI Series (1998 – late 2012): poly sealer, thick lacquer, 7.25" radius, 6230s.

AV Series (late 2012 – 2017): lacquer sealer, thin lacquer, 7.25" radius, 6230s.

MIM Classic Lacquer Series (???? – 2018): poly sealer, thick lacquer, 7.25" radius, 6230s (except for certain limited models, which had 9.5" radius and mediums, e.g. 60th Anniversary Jazzmasters). I don't think a bound Tele was ever part of this series, though.

AO Series (2018 – present): poly sealer, thick lacquer, 9.5" radius, 6105s.

Wildwood Thin-Skin Series (???? – present): lacquer sealer, thin lacquer, 9.5" radius, 6105s.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  14. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I got heart broken when I learned that the AV series were being discontinued before I can even afford one.. fast forward to a few years, finally played an AO60's and I think its a great guitar, but I was really in love with the AV62 even if I havent played one.. double bound sunburst body.. its a looker.. I finally made a decision to save and bunker down so that I can afford an AO60's.. got tempted with MIJ TL62's too, but I really wanted an american made instrument..

just recently, while on a leisurely stroll in one of the shopping streets in my area, also lined with pawnshops, I saw a very interesting guitar on the wall..
    Story here: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-62-avri-custom-telecaster-pawnshop-find.908114/

Here's the ending.. finally got my grail, a 2004 AVRI 62, in my preferred color.. Time did its thing as the nitro neck doesnt feel sticky, its very smooth and fast now.. just a few marks (from rough handling of pawnshop guys), but not user marks.. I think it had an easy life, having the protective film on the pickguard still and left a very sticky residue when I peeled it off.. it feels like its a closet classic.. no checking of the paint as well.. just a little dulling where the arm rests on the body..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made it now a mission to save and find all AV62's i can find and buy them if I can afford them... if not, I'll be happy with an AO 60's.. especially that lake placid blue

15. Fhede

Fhede TDPRI Member

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  16. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

Any word on this Surf Green Thin-skin?? Did one of the sales guys just tell you it was coming sometime in 2020?

17. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I'm thinking of trying to get either one right now. Very undecided right now.

18. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

cant go wrong with either one.

i love the AV more as it’s vintage spec, but the playability of 9.5 and 6105 frets is amazing. but i like vintage specs more so thats what I got.

Fendereedo likes this.
  19. mcfm2n

mcfm2n Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

62 tele.jpg

62 AVRI my #1

Dukex likes this.
  20. Thanasis

Thanasis TDPRI Member

Standard behaviour for nitrocellulose

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.