Tele necks

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by JimB, Aug 20, 2019.

1. JimB

JimB TDPRI Member

why do I hate them? or at least dislike them a lot? They all feel boxy or something to me. the only tele neck I've ever liked was on a 90 Tele Plus, and I loved it! . if I could only find a newer Tele with that neck!

2. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    I have no idea what you're talking about...

`

swany, FrontPU, NewKid and 4 others like this.
  3. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister

I had my last neck made. I prefer the soft "V" neck normally found on Strats. Had Musikraft make my last one and couldn't be happier. Their 57V profile is a little more pointy and I got to pick shaft wood, fretboard material, nut width, fret wire etc. Makes for much happier me when I play it.
    Today I just find it easier to have my favored specs conform to the neck, body and electronics and apposed to conforming to most stock guitar.

4. JimB

JimB TDPRI Member

and yet you liked it

5. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

what ticks you off? the profile? I used to love thin necks, wizard wand ibanez thin.. when I had my first MIM Fender tele, it has moden C but beefier than ones I got used to.. but my hands felt at home and the thicker the better.. I got a 1-inch neck thats so comfortable..

maybe the finish? sticky poly? new sticky nitro?

boxy meaning full shoulders like a D-shape? for me thats most comfortable, I got a Gretsch G5420T that is sort of a D-shape profile but quite slim.. and it feels great and I dont even notice how slim it was..

what necks do you prefer?

FrontPU likes this.
  6. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    I must have inadvertently hit the button...

Anyway, I certainly can understand preferring one neck over another, but I find all the Telecaster neck profiles playable so I'm not quite understanding the degree of dislike you are voicing...

`

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    howardlo likes this.
  7. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

Do you mean that you dislike Fender necks in general? A tele neck can come in any shape and configuration Fender makes, just like a Strat neck, Jazzmaster neck… Soft V, hard V, U, big C, mid C, modern C, … any radius between 7’25’’ and 12’’ … any kind of fretwire you want. You hate tele necks compared to what?

“Boxy” is also a strange adjective for guitar necks. As in “square”? Never heard of square tele necks…

8. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Fender tele necks are great imo, i do prefer the modern C, but thicker ones are good too.

Chuck in a satin finish and imo a winning combination.

9. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I used to love the flattish, 12" radius, uber-thin shredder necks with GIANT frets. Can't stand them now. Then I liked medium to chunky C/U necks (up to 1" thick) with 9-1/2" radius. My favorite (to no one's greater surprise than mine) has become the soft V shape with a 7-1/4" radius and tiny vintage frets.

I would recommend trying a LOT of necks...teles and otherwise...and then buying a tele with that shape, or getting/building a cheaper one and ordering a neck with those specs. You can buy almost anything you want from Warmoth, Musikraft and the like these days. Good luck.

MonkeyJefferson likes this.
  10. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

I have a Telecaster thinline style (not a Fender brand though) and it's maybe the best neck I ever played. So you just never know, do you ? Make zero assumptions, because something out there will make a fool out of you when you do. I have had it happen to me too many times to want to recall.

bender66 likes this.
  11. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

I liked my Tele neck a lot. Then I pulled out my old G&L ASAT (tele style) and now don't want to go back to the Tele.... hmmmmm

2 Headed Goat, JimB and jimilee like this.
  12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I understand liking one neck vs another, but have not found a general difference in Tele vs Strat necks. There are different shapes available in both.... good and bad... for me.

13. JimB

JimB TDPRI Member

I haven't been able to figure it out yet. I love the sound of a Tele but I've played probably 20 different Tele's and none of their necks felt good in my hand except the old tele plus that I played. It's just frustrating because I really do love the sound

14. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I've been playing my project Esquire lately which I fitted an un-usual (for me) 'fat U' neck with 9.5" radius. I did this as a change from all my other Fenders which have thinner C or V shaped necks, vintage frets and 7.25" radius.

It felt a bit odd at first and I really thought it might have been a mistake, but I've got used to it now. The odd things is that if I now pick up my Classic 50s Telecaster with the thinner C shape neck and 7.25" radius, within a few minutes it also feels 'normal' to me.

Since the frets are worn on my avatar Tele I'm thinking of buying a new neck after my success with the 'Fat U '51' neck (including cutting the nut with new files I bought). I think I might try another variation: An American Original 60s neck with the C shape profile, but 9.5" radius and a rosewood slab fingerboard.

I think that having a variety of different necks might be a benefit to me. I do suffer from stiff hands/fingers at times and the 'change is as good as a rest' seems to help and means that I don't have to stop playing if my hands hurt...just change guitar.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Get a Squier Tele neck -- they make them 'thin and fast' for kiddie paws.

16. jazzalta

jazzalta Tele-Meister

I guess mine is a modern C. It's a 9 year old American Standard tele. It seems to really fit me.

17. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Do you like strat necks?

archetype likes this.
  18. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

That neck and particularly the headstock should be the hallmark of all Fender guitars but that's just me.

19. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

I totally agree, that finish is to die for and the sexiest headstock on any guitar.

20. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

Good advice, and to add, a bit: try things you THINK you hate. You may have hated big U-necks, with tiny frets (like me). Now, you just may think you hate them, but you haven't tried one- that's the time to give it a try. I found I liked nearly everything I once hated, too. Artists evolve, so does our craft, and so must our tools!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.