tele neck relief

vishnu

Tele-Holic
how much neck relief do you guys normally go/prefer with your teles?

mine is quite minimal and bending Es and Bs at the seventh chokes a little or could be easier would be closer to the truth....

10 guage

Chris H.

Tele-Afflicted
I go with very minimal relief and low action but then i like low frets.

Bones

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I follow the recommendations on Fender's site and then tweak if necessary, but usually their numbers are good for me.

Ah, here's something I do often. I usually put a capo on the 1st. fret and then fret the last fret (which is usually 21) on the 6th string (low E). I then take an automotive feeler gauge and slide out a 0.010" gauge feeler. I use this around the 8th fret and measure from bottom of low E (6th. string) and the top of the 8th. fret. That's my guide.

telex76

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I like mine just nearly no relief, but I like a higher action for bending and popping the strings.
Fretting out not problem.

AndyLowry

Friend of Leo's
Ah, here's something I do often. I usually put a capo on the 1st. fret and then fret the last fret (which is usually 21) on the 6th string (low E). I then take an automotive feeler gauge and slide out a 0.010" gauge feeler. I use this around the 8th fret and measure from bottom of low E (6th. string) and the top of the 8th. fret. That's my guide.

Exactly! Me too, always seems to work out right.

surfoverb

Doctor of Teleocity
The beauty of vintage truss rods is that they're a PITA to adjust so people aren't so tempted.

I see this a lot and it always boggles the mind. You take the guard off, take a paint key and turn it. done.

a lot of people think you must take the strings off, then the guard, then the neck. You dont have to do any of that. leave it tuned to pitch, take the guard off and thats it.

I have mine set at around .004-.006

when eye balling it, it looks almost dead straight.

Fender spec of .012 looks like a bow and arrow to me lol

MASONish

Tele-Holic
surfoverb said:
I see this a lot and it always boggles the mind. You take the guard off, take a paint key and turn it. done.

a lot of people think you must take the strings off, then the guard, then the neck. You dont have to do any of that. leave it tuned to pitch, take the guard off and thats it.

I have mine set at around .004-.006

when eye balling it, it looks almost dead straight.

Fender spec of .012 looks like a bow and arrow to me lol

+1

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I have a little #36 1/4" Proto (made in U.S.A) flat blade right angle screw driver that is perfect for adjusting the truss rod on vintage necks. It has one blade in line with the handle, and one that is perpendicular to the handle. Makes adjusting the truss rod a breeze after removing the pick guard. I'm pretty sure they aren't made anymore, I've never seen them in hardware stores. I've had this one a very long time.

As far as relief goes, I give it just enough to insure it's not back bowed. I hold down the big e at the first fret, then hold it down at the fret where the neck joins the body, if I can see daylight under the string at the 8th, it's good enough. I set the saddles so it doesn't buzz. I don't like the action super low. Necks with the 7.25 radius seem to need a little more clearance than the ones with 9.5 radii.

Blackdogxx

TDPRI Member
There is another thing to consider if the player has a harder picking style and especially if they play with nails. Guys who started with classical guitar tend to stay with that and nails set the strings flying in a bigger arc than a flat pick.
So you may need to let in a bit more relief like I do. A modern Tele/Strat guitar that plays well with no rattles using a medium pick sometimes needs just about 1/8 turn 'lefty loosey' to play with nails.

Telemarkman

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I like mine just nearly no relief, but I like a higher action for bending and popping the strings.
Fretting out not problem.

It's the same with me - nearly straight. Not really a high action, but definitely not super low. But then I have a 7.25" radius and vintage frets on both my Teles.

Ronkirn

Doctor of Teleocity
Exactly! Me too, always seems to work out right.

and me too... been doing it that way since shortly after I heard the word "relief" and asked if they meant the "porcelain facility" or what.......

ron Kirn

73Fender

Friend of Leo's
I have a little #36 1/4" Proto (made in U.S.A) flat blade right angle screw driver that is perfect for adjusting the truss rod on vintage necks. It has one blade in line with the handle, and one that is perpendicular to the handle. Makes adjusting the truss rod a breeze after removing the pick guard. I'm pretty sure they aren't made anymore, I've never seen them in hardware stores. I've had this one a very long time.

As far as relief goes, I give it just enough to insure it's not back bowed. I hold down the big e at the first fret, then hold it down at the fret where the neck joins the body, if I can see daylight under the string at the 8th, it's good enough. I set the saddles so it doesn't buzz. I don't like the action super low. Necks with the 7.25 radius seem to need a little more clearance than the ones with 9.5 radii.
This one?
458-002.jpg

Stew Mac sells one too