1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele Neck Plate Weight Distribution - Body End or Headstock End?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by _MementoMori_, Feb 25, 2021.

1. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

That's phrased oddly, but I think you know what I mean. If someone wanted to use a high mass neck plate to help alleviate neck dive on a Tele, would that help, or would it worsen the problem? Does anyone know where the center of balance on a Tele is, and where the neck plate's weight would fall on it? I'm looking at several heavy neck plates, but if it's snake oil or if the weight will go to the headstock end, I'm just going to get a standard plate. Thanks!

2. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

My guess, it wouldn't do much. It's sitting basically in the same plane as the strap button. If it were at the bridge end of the guitar, maybe it'd pull the body down, but where it sits is essentially at the fulcrum between neck and body. Seems like weight there would just make the whole thing heavier, but I assume someone has tried this.

3. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

???

Maybe I need more coffee, but wouldn’t extra weight at the neck plate increase neck dive if it did anything at all? Which I am sceptical of, given how close the neck plate is to the guitar’s centre. I would think a clip-on tuner on your headstock, or a cable looped through your rear strap button, would have as much effect on the balance, as they are at the ends of the effective lever.

Just pondering. *gets more coffee anyway*

Danb541 likes this.
  4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Worsen if anything I would think, but it's near neutral.. I imagine your neck/head is about the CG.

5. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

It should help if you mount it somewhere behind the bridge, but first make sure the screws won't go all the way through the body. Buy shorter screws if necessary.

;)

MilwMark likes this.
  6. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yea,
    hang something from your strap at the end or,
    put something at the end of the guitar of several ounces.

I think Reverend guitars used to have either a strap or something you hang at the end of the guitar to help neck dive.
    You might check that out.

7. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

The correct answer is, a wider strap!

41144 and johnnylaw like this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

No.
    The neck plate is toward the lighter neck end and will not add weight to the heavier body end.
    The tipping or balance point on a 7lb Tele is closer to where a middle pickup might go, so added weight on the neck side of that balance point will worsen neck dive.

MilwMark, _MementoMori_ and Boreas like this.
  9. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Don't laugh, but these work extremely well on my SG which is notorious for neck dive. I even have a Lyre-type tremolo and that doesn't balance it. These cured the problem immediately. I don't play much with a strap, so can't say how long they last until they fall off, but it is worth a try - without adding any more weight to your guitar. I had to use two, but most guitars would need only one, if any.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ZT1QVE/?tag=tdpri-20

_MementoMori_ likes this.
  10. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Wait a minute, guys. When the the guitar hangs correctly, the balance point is between the strap buttons. Weight on both buttons, and the neck stays put.

When the neck dives, all of the weight is on the front strap button, so any weight to the right of that will help counterbalance a too-heavy head stock.

Your heavier neck plate is too close to the balance point to have much effect, and you aren't adding much weight anyway. Trivial impact.

11. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

So there really isn't anything to these heavy neck plates that everyone seems to offer now, it seems. I think I'll save myself $20 then. Thanks.

12. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

I hear talk of neck dive on teles from time to time. Is that a real thing? I've never experienced it. Seems like bass guitars are all I've had issues with in the past.

13. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

My Squier Bullet Tele, with its thin, lightweight (basswood, maybe?) body will do it if I use a slippery nylon or polypropylene strap.

Steve Holt likes this.
  14. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

Bigsby!!!

15. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

Haha. I have a suspicion that like 30% of Bigsby users don't actually care about vibrato at all. They just need something to cure neck dive and look good while doing it.

16. fastattaq

fastattaq TDPRI Member

The CoG on both of my Telecasters seems to be under the neck pickup. A heavy neckplate wouldn't help me at all. Try balancing your Telecaster on the heel of your hand to see where it balances.

And even if yours happens to be neck-heavy, I doubt a different neck plate will have any meaningful impact. Putting a metal slug in the middle pickup route (if your guitar has one) might be more impactful.

17. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

You could relocate the back strap button if you are so inclined. The higher it sits, the more weight shifts to the back.

18. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

This is just n idea, I've never done this:
    If you don't mind altering your guitar and you are handy, remove the jack plate and jack. Take a drill bit that a little smaller than the hole in the body and drill it deeper into the body, then ratchet a big heavy bolt into the body (obviously predrill the hole for the bolt to go in). Put the jack and jack plate back on. No one will know the difference and you added weight.

Edit: and sustain for days!!! lol

19. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

Really! Keep on pickin!!!

20. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Hang the guitar and strap by a single point and so stays level, like on a nail or mic stand. Observe Where the neck plate is in relation to the nail. If it's toward the headstock from a vertical line down from the nail, it adds to the neck dive.

My Thinline Tele with a Strat neck on it still didn't have neck dive. Most SG's do though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.