Tele Neck Pickup: Why the Bad Rep?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by EnzoDooder, Oct 15, 2018.

1. EnzoDooder

EnzoDooder TDPRI Member

I'm new to the forum so I apologize in advance if there's another thread that addresses this better.

Why does the Telecaster neck pickup seem to have a bad reputation? Is it simply because the tele bridge pickup is so popular that it can't live up to it? It comes off as though getting the neck pickup in a tele to sound like a strat neck pickup is a desirable thing, but I've always had a love and preference for Telecaster neck pickups over Strat neck pickups. In fact I've had a love and preference for Telecaster neck pickups over any other guitar pickup type/selection, but I know I'm in the minority on this.

A forum dedicated to Telecasters seems equally the worst place and the best place to ask this question..

Pixies2005, howardlo and 8barlouie like this.
  2. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

I don’t have anything groundbreaking to offer you...only that I personally love the Tele neck pickup.

3. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Me too. I think it’s just that the bridge and it’s twang and personality is so prevalent and famous over the years that the neck, while not exactly disliked, is sort of the red-headed, bastard step child.

4. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

I've often wondered that myself. I'm really happy with my tele neck pickups, even beyond my Baja (supposedly more strat-like). And let's not forget, without the neck pickup, we wouldn't have the wonderful middle position.

5. Shidoin

Shidoin Tele-Holic

I think the neck PU on my Tele sounds great. It’s just a stock one, nothing fancy. Don’t understand the dislike. Check out Ted Greene and Ed Bickert (pre HB PU) for awesome neck PU tone.

6. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Hi & Welcome ! who said that ? if you want the stratty tone ....get a strat ! :lol:, although there are various pickups around that will get people there, why ? ...

The Telecaster has his voice, personally i love the neck pickup, it's great both alone and with the "weapon", if you get a good balanced set and setup properly it sounds just great, can do a lot of stuff on that pickup alone ..

howardlo and EnzoDooder like this.
  7. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

What does it matter what other people like?

I like the neck pickup, and NEVER play the bridge pickup alone. The combination of both: yes, but never the bridge pickup alone.

There is no good or bad here... it's preference. MY preference, don't care about who's preference it is NOT, that's THEIR preference.

8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

If not set up right, and/or using the wrong cover material, the neck pickup can be dark/muddy. So the prescription is to work at setting the neck pickup right. Easiest to lower the neck as much as possible along with the bridge, raise the neck slightly to where it sounds best, then raise the bridge switching back and forth to the neck until volumes are balanced. Then turn up the amp a hair when you play. Same trick I use for setting up Strats.

A Tele also does well with putting in a 4-way switch so you can get humbucker LP tones out of it. I call it my stealth les paul. It's a great addition for the $11 that the switch can be found for.

There are a lot of classic noises in that ol' Tele ...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  9. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

The Tele neck pickup is my favorite position on the Tele. The reason it likely has a bad reputation is based on several things:

(1) When people think of Teles, they think of Tele twang, like the bridge pickup. The neck pickup is not that at all, so by extension it becomes "bad."
    (2) The neck pickups were originally designed for a baritone sound.
    (3) Traditionally, they have brass covers that muffle the sound.
    (4) They can tend to be boomy in the bass. I think they work better with smaller-value capacitors than the traditional .047mF Tele tone cap.
    (5) When Teles neck pickups were designed, folks were using a lot of Jensen-type speakers that were very clear and trebly. Perhaps this mitigated the bassiness of the Tele neck pickup a bit. Today, folks use all kinds of speakers that may not compliment the Tele neck pickup.
    (6) probably more I'm not thinking of.

Evil Funk and EnzoDooder like this.
  10. EnzoDooder

EnzoDooder TDPRI Member

I definitely can't stand muddy neck pickups, equally as much as shrill bridge pickups, so I get that. I've fortunately only ever owned Telecasters with clear sounding neck pickups so perhaps that's why I don't understand the flack (or lack of acclaim more so) they get. I've always found them to be infinitely useful.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  11. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

My Tele's neck pickup is superb...

Is a humbucker :rolleyes:

12. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I upgraded pickups in my Telecaster to N4 noiseless. One important consideration in the upgrade was that the N4 neck pickupwould sound as good to my ears as the stock pickup. I don’t understand the complaints either. The Telecaster neck pickup is great for country, jazz, finger style and so much more.

13. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I play more on the neck pup and use it blues, rock and indie stuff. That said I like all three options.

Tommy Biggs and 8barlouie like this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

jvin.....do you ever get tired of urging folks to LOWER their pickups to improve their sound?.....well, don't stop. I was happy with the sound of my Bootstrap Pickups' tone....both the neck and bridge....but recently in changing out the bridge itself, I reinstalled the bridge pickup a little lower than it was before. It's made considerable difference, and has gone from "good" to "GREAT!". So keep on "proselytizing".....
    And to answer the OP....I rarely play bridge pickup by itself. Usually I'm in the middle, and sometimes on neck alone. I've also had a middle pickup, which is currently not there....BUT, I've bought a pickup from Bootstrap that may go in the middle, when I get time. ;)

15. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I totally agree! Lower your pickups!

16. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

For me, it was always the weakest link on a Tele. Every standard neck pup on every tele i've tried has been inferior to the bridge.

17. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

My tele's neck pickups sounds great – it's my favourite tone. I wonder if the bad rep comes from the early tele's wiring with the muffled first position – people just didn't get that it was not the neck pickup but a processed tone?

Pixies2005 likes this.
  18. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Afflicted

I am personally not a fan of the tele neck pickup and often either remove them or replace them with a strat pickup. Having said that, plenty of people have made great use of them, I just happen to be someone who can't seem to get them to work for me.

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

As you see, it doesn't have a bad rep, at all. The voices here are mostly and overwhelmingly positive regarding the tele neck pickup

Evil Funk, Tommy Biggs and nojazzhere like this.
  20. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

I love the neck pickup (nickel cover) and its distinctive sound. It's great on its own - quite jazzy at times - but when combined with the bridge pickup, sheer magic. It helps to define what a Tele is imho.

Pixies2005, parademe and howardlo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.