1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

tele neck pickup cover ground, why?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ben smith, Oct 25, 2019.

1. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

as you can see from my pic the pole pieces stick up out of the casing thus touching the metal cover, wont earthing the cover in theory short out the pickup? wont it effect tone at least? i understand the pickup is supposed to be shielded but on my thinline i have no issues with it not grounded, i just don't get it please explain! SAM_0530.JPG

2. baldwindp

baldwindp TDPRI Member

The pole pieces are not electrically connected to the pickup circuit. The magnetic field, modified by interaction with the vibrating strings, induces a current in the wire wound around the magnets, but they aren't electrically in contact.

ben smith, nojazzhere and jrblue like this.
  3. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Yup. Pole pieces often contact metal covers on humbuckers.

ben smith likes this.
  4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Shields need to be grounded. Covers, cavities(if painted or foiled) and bridgeplate. Usually all grounded through the controls.

If you have the series option. There should not be continuity between the negative lead and the cover ground of the neck pickup.

ben smith likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.