Tele neck on a Gibson-style set up... And there's a fret buzz problem

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by scottythered, Nov 13, 2011.

1. scottythered

scottythered TDPRI Member

New member, please bear with me...

I started making a home-brew guitar a couple of months ago with a bunch of spare parts and some basic elements... It's a mutt of a guitar, with a Tele neck and a body set up kind of like a Gibson (angled neck pocket, Tuneomatic bridge, trapeze tailpiece, dual humbucks, etc etc).

Anyway, it's since "finished", but fret-buzzes like a mofo. I've tightened the truss and adjusted the bridge countless times, but even with high action, i still get the buzzing. I'm particularly concerned the 9.5" neck radius is messing with the 12" bridge radius, but I'm not sure. Also, the nut slots appear to be somewhat higher than the first frets (by 1.5-2mm).

Can anyone offer advice?

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Are you using a shim to get the 2-4 degree angle that a gibson guitar has incorporated into their neck heels or neck cavities? It's 2 degrees on a flat top, 4 degrees on a carved top more or less with their set necks. With nut slots that high, I wouldn't expect any buzzing. I bet your neck angle is wrong. Is the truss rod too tight? Maybe you have some backbow.

3. scottythered

I routed the neck pocket with a 2-degree angle, no shim necessary.

4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

The nut slots are to high. you can't lower action at the bridge to compensate for a high nut that is too high.
    Did you level and crown the frets on the neck?
    If you lay a straight edge on the frets it should be just below the bridge saddles as a starting point.

With a 9.5" neck and a 12" bridge your outer strings are going to me higher off of the fretboard as you get farther from the nut and closer to the bridge.You are going to need to set your string height on the 2 middle strings (D & G), if you set the height on the outer E strings the middle strings will be too low. The other possibility would be to file the bridge saddles to a 9.5" radius. You could buy some replacement saddles to modify from tusq http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?SubCategoryID=72

I used a stop tail and tuna-matic on my 2011 challenge buildwithout any issues. I did not angle the neck, I made a relief for the bridge in the body. I did make my fretboard radius 12" to match the bridge. http://www.tdpri.com/forum/2011-tdp...pri-build-challenge-thread-5.html#post3274092

5. scottythered

Lots of good info there. Thanks Mike!

6. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Or... you could pull the frets and re-radius the fretboard with a 12" radius block from Stewmac... and then refret the neck.

7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

You could just get a different neck or bridge too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.