Tele Neck, Does this look right

BigbadJohn

TDPRI Member
Interested in buying this Tele not sure about the neck with bullet truss rod don't recall seeing one before
It would be a partscaster so it would not have a lot of value when built
I guess the body 150, then the neck would 240 Canadian $ not a great deal but I like funky guitars

mimmo

Poster Extraordinaire
If ai am not wrong the 'bullet truss rod' is typically found on 70s Fenders, think the classic 72 tele custom for ex.
There is nothing wrong with it from a technicolortechnical point of view as long as you like it aesthetically.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
I’m not sure I understand the question

The question reads to me as (does this look right for a fender tele neck)

Reading the ad will tell that it’s not a fender and a Japanese copy that could be from any number of manufacturers

It looks okay as far as a Japanese made neck, the only way to find out if it’s decent is to have it in hand

If you want to know the if it’s accurate as far as a copy, fender indeed used bullet truss rod adjustments on their telecaster customs in the 70’s, the 12th fret dot spacing isn’t accurate though if that’s something that matters

I don’t know if I’d spend more than $90 on a mystery neck though, at least I’d try to talk them down a little

Last edited:

Hank-Frost

TDPRI Member
There are Fender Tele necks that look like that, with the bullet truss rod, but since the seller doesn't claim that is a Fender neck I don't see how it can look "wrong." Wrong for what?

Of course, I can get a brand new neck in my choice of styles for less, so why would I take a risk on that from a Facebook Marketplace seller (one place where I will not buy).

John C

Friend of Leo's
It certainly looks like any number of 70s-era MIJ (and made other places) necks that had the bullet truss rod but were 4-bolt without the micro-tilt attachment. But since there are no other markings who knows where it came from.

Fendereedo

Doctor of Teleocity
I wouldn't trust that as far as I could throw it. There are plenty of better projects to sink your hard earned cash into.