Tele models w/ Ebony Fretboard

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by adam79, Jul 9, 2019.

1. adam79

adam79 TDPRI Member

Are there any other Tele models besides the Jim Root that have the Ebony fretboard? Whether vintage or new?

2. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I think Tele Elites can be had with ebony!

AAT65, Skydog1010, DanDII and 3 others like this.
  3. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Tele Elite.

Skydog1010, 2 Headed Goat and ftbtx like this.
  4. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Old School G&L ASAT's from circa '86 to '87. The majority of G&L Broadcasters came stock with ebony fingerboards as well tho those tend to go for $2k due to Leo's signature in the neck pocket.
    Here's of one I owned a few years back. May not be your cuppa tho I think they're Fab. This era also had nitro finishes FWIW.
    IMG_8352.JPG

Fretting out, 8trackmind and Volktar like this.
  5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

^^^ All MIA G&Ls are custom orders and an ebony fingerboard is just one of the many options: http://glguitars.com/cs-guitar-options/

I ordered mine with an ebony fretboard and no inlay (not on the option list, but you can ask for it).

sm_g3.jpg

6. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

7. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Silverburst American pro tele deluxe

8. Sofaplayer

Sofaplayer Tele-Meister

2014 NAMM model - Double TV Jones Tele, Okume body, ebony board

[​IMG]

9. Volktar

Volktar TDPRI Member

I don't normally dig matching headstocks, but that is sexy.

Stiles likes this.
  10. Sofaplayer

Sofaplayer Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Skydog1010 likes this.
  11. adam79

adam79 TDPRI Member

Buying the neck n body separately has def crossed my mind. A loaded American Professional body is the same price, so it be way cheaper.
    I've also thought about making up a Warmouth for years now. I'm just hesitant to buy something that I can't pay first. Esp is it's nonrefundable.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  12. adam79

adam79 TDPRI Member

Ya, I've seen those; I love how the Ocean Tourquoise looks. $1900 is a bit too pricey tho.

13. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I love this thread. Or would do if there were more posts!

I'm building one at the moment with a stunning warmouth neck with ebony fingerboard. Can't wait to finish it and post it!

BigDaddyLH and teletimetx like this.
  14. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Get an unfinished roasted maple fretboard, or any other wood, and some of this.

[​IMG]

15. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

I had a two tone sunburst '86 ASAT with all Broadcaster spec parts (early '86 model). It was one of the brightest and clearest guitars I've owned (right up with my old L6S). Pile on the distortion ...and every note is still distinct.

All maple two piece body, 1.75" wide flat (.81at the nut .87 at 12th) ebony over maple neck, all black hardware. Weighed under 8 pounds which is rare for these.

If it wasn't for the wide flat neck I'd still own it. Personally, I have a real hard time finding any older Leo era G&L with a neck shape that suits me. Most are '60s style thin with either wide or narrow nuts.

16. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

I caught the bug for the Leo-era ASATs in a big way and now own 3, dating from 1986 through 1988. The earliest is black and all Broadcaster spec and bright and clear is right!

Two of the three have maple bodies with ebony fretboards (one nicely streaked) and there is some magic in that combination.

2 Headed Goat and DanDII like this.
  17. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Mine certainly made my clams stand at attention and salute!

It did hold its own in the mix. I'm still hoping to find an anomaly neck with a 1 5/8" or 1 11/16" width neck with a medium depth of .84 to .86 at the first.

If you like '60s necks these are still a whole lot of bang for the buck in the used market.

teletimetx and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  18. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

I hear ya, maple bodies do seem to make for clarity sound-wise.
    My '84 SC-2 is the predecessor for the Broadcaster and it too has a maple body. Its not overly bright tho it has heaps of clarity to it. It weighs in close to 8lbs so its not light by any means tho it balances nicely. Have owned several mid-80's ASAT's over the years - only a couple had maple bodies and only one with ebony on the neck. G&L switched to rosewood fingerboards about same time they switched over to ash bodies circa late '86. I can relate to that neck profile, I owned an ASAT and an Invader with the same. It takes a bit of getting used to - eh?
    You're right many of the necks in the mid 80's were of that 60's thin style. Some had a slight or more pronounced V to them too which I kinda dig. IME, ASAT necks get chunkier post '87. I owned an '88 that had a really full chunky neck profile that I eventually sold b/c I found I couldn't move my fretting hand around it easily. It had maple body and it weighed close to 10lbs. 8lbs is about my limit as I play for 3-4 hours standing.
    This one I had for a few years. I believe the body was maple IMG_8320.JPG . Nice weight tho a previous owner had the neck radius flattened plus refretted with 6105 tall which killed the vibe for me. It sounded pretty darn good tho... and bright.

Attached Files:

DanDII likes this.
  19. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

I could definitely see the neck profile from my '86 ASAT on an Invader. Seemed to me to be more in the shred camp than Fender Tele camp.

I keep hearing that a few were made with the larger 'C' shape and 1 5/8" nut but I've yet to find one.

That '86 was my 4th pre '92 ASAT. Few years back I sold a SC 1 with trem and have owned a few pre '95 Legacys, and a couple sickle head Skyhawks [can you say heavy?] which both used maple bodies. One had an ebony board the other rosewood.

I concur with your neck analyses. The early '90 Legacys ...and 1 '88 ASAT were the only necks from G&L I liked enough to keep for any length of time. In the end my .82-.83 necks tend to give way to .85 and .86 necks. I can play those smaller necks just not for too long as carpal pain sets in. A few hundredths and a full 'C' ...and all is good.

I think Fender does the best job of building a large variety of neck sizes. Gibson is usually either slim '60s or fat 50's. Early G&L usually thin but in varying widths from 1 9/16"s to 1 3/4".

One of sickle heads, in CAR w/rosewood and a matching headstock, was f'n gorgeous! But the 1 9/16s neck combined with a .78" first fret made it impossible for me to play comfortably.

The quality is thru the roof on these and I still keep an eye out for that anomaly neck!

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  20. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Meister

It wears off

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.