1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele modding

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Sclack86, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Sclack86

Sclack86 TDPRI Member

Hey guys this will be my first post. I have a SX furrian tele that I have started modding. Just ordered a Fender vintage style bridge with 3 brass saddles. Next thing I want to upgrade is my nut and pickups. I have not had any luck whatsoever finding nuts for a tele online. Everything is for a strat. Any ideas where I can find nuts at a good price. Thinking tusq or bone. As far as pickups go, my guitar has a humbucker at the neck and single coil at the bridge. Both stock. I want something twangy. Going for brad paisleys sound or as close as I can get to it on as little of a budget as possible. Thanks

2. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The nut is the same for both Strat and Tele..

3. Sclack86

Sclack86 TDPRI Member

Are you sure. I was under the impression that these nuts had different dimensions

4. wwit

wwit Tele-Holic

Papa Joe is correct. They take the same nut. But in both cases you have to finish the nut. Even pre-slotted take some width/height shaving to fit individual necks.

5. SAguitar

SAguitar Tele-Meister

Have fun! Modding can be addictive!

6. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Sclack86.....Welcome to the tdpri!!!!!!!

Did you even check with Rondo Music if they had a bone or Tusq nut for a price? I don't know but I was wondering. Best of luck!!!!

7. Sclack86

Sclack86 TDPRI Member

Modding is becoming very addictive!! I found a graph tech tusq nut on eBay for 6 bucks. Should be here in a few days. I'll post pics when it's on my tele

8. muzicmaken

muzicmaken Tele-Holic

yea...you'll get addicted quick...lol...welcome....

9. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Good luck, let us know how it came out and share any install tips etc.

A couple of years ago on Father's Day I was asked what I wanted and I asked for the day to tinker with my guitars, actually only one Tele but it was great. Think I'll do that this year, my 72 Custom RI may be getting a new WRHB, electronics and brass compensated saddles. Still not sure about the saddles but I bought a few sets on impulse and am curious.

10. Sclack86

Sclack86 TDPRI Member

Hey guys I'm new to modding. What would be the advantage of upgrading my pots and what is an inexpensive route to go for this mod?

11. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Upgrading and modding is definitely not inexpensive..
    It would depend on what you have to beguine with to know if an upgrade is worth the money and work..

12. ZipCity117

ZipCity117 TDPRI Member

Keep in mind that SX Furrians have staggered string through ferrules - regular bridges won't fit. Best upgrade you can do to the bridge (without plugging and drilling holes) is to get some stainless steel strat saddles...

13. SAguitar

SAguitar Tele-Meister

Hah! In my experience, modding has never been worth the money, but I love it, and I really like working on my guitars too so the work is not a problem. But I know going in that I'll never be able to recoup the bucks if I ever wanna sell something (not that that ever happens anyway).

14. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Or use a top loading bridge.

15. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

If you have or have access to a soldering iron, pots plus cap can be under $20.

16. Sclack86

Sclack86 TDPRI Member

I ordered a Seymour Duncan STL-3 today for the bridge position. Should make a nice addition to my project

17. Sclack86

Sclack86 TDPRI Member

Hey guys another question. Will I have to make any major mods to make the vintage style bridge by fender line up on my SX tele or would it just be easier to order a $50 body from guitarfetish that accepts the 3 saddle bridge

18. wwit

wwit Tele-Holic

No hands on experience with GFS bodies, but from everything Ive read about them, I have no plans to ever get that experience either. They sound pretty hit or miss(leaning more towards miss) as far as quality goes and getting assorted parts to work without some major surgery.

Take some careful measurements of the bridge you have now and compare them to different aftermarket bridges. Stewmac offers dead on measurements on its bridges, so you should be able to narrow down what would work. Most importantly but not limited to, would be mounting holes (3 vs 4) and spacing, as well as string thru spacing.

19. Bigsnaketex

Bigsnaketex Tele-Meister

I would recommend a top loading bridge for your "project".

Take it one step at a time on this so you don't get overwhelmed. . . .there is info on the internet to guide you through whatever you want to do.

In the case of your SX, you'll want to replace everything in my opinion so have fun!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.