Tele mini HB/single bridge wiring diagram

Steve Jeffries

TDPRI Member
Hello.
Just took delivery of a new to me Tele today. Its got a mini humbucker(w metal shielding) in the neck, w a single coil in the bridge. Can someone help a brother out and post a wiring diagram for me? Its got 250k pots installed, so Im assuming that needs swapped as well. Thanks in advance!

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
What's wrong with it as is? Too dark in the neck position? I did a 500k volume with a 470k resistor on my Thinline with a J Street Bridge and a Novel 90 neck pickup (basically a P90). This worked well. It's just like standard Tele wiring, but you add a resistor to ground where the bridge pickup connects to the switch.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Another option is to wire the tone out for the neck position. I did that also with 250k pots and a Seth Lover in the neck position.

Steve Jeffries

TDPRI Member
Ok. There was significant volume drop in the middle position, which tells me that the pickups are out of phase w each other. I am new to humbuckers, so the purpose of my original post was to figure out if the 250k pots should be swapped out w 500k. Now that I know the root cause of the issue, I am going to leave the pots as is(value-wise), and just rebuild a new harness. The wiring needs be neatened up a bit, and there is a lot of extra length throughout which makes everything crammed into the cavity. Also ordered a new bridge pickup from the same maker as the neck(Novak), which he assures me that all of his pickups play nice w each other.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
unless you have extra 'features' going on like tapping and splitting the wiring will be exactly the same as any other tele wiring diagram you find.

If the pickups are out of phase in the middle you just need to swap the two wires around on one of them.

No need to buy anything.

Steve Jeffries

TDPRI Member
unless you have extra 'features' going on like tapping and splitting the wiring will be exactly the same as any other tele wiring diagram you find.

If the pickups are out of phase in the middle you just need to swap the two wires around on one of them.

No need to buy anything.
Shhhh…I’ve already convinced my wife that I HAVE to buy the new pickup and harness to make it work properly.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Yep, just flip the leads on one of the pickups. Not both.

And if the P90 seems too dark, install 500k pots, and then add a 470k resistor. There are two ways to do it. The first way means the middle position will see 250k pots (darker), and with the second diagram middle position sees 500k (brighter).

Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 10.23.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 10.23.33 AM.png