1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele Mini for Kids?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Terminal Twang, Jan 15, 2016.

1. fofomomo

fofomomo TDPRI Member

I saw this thread when it was posted, and I ordered one of the Jack and Danny Teles on January 26, and it came today. A few thoughts:

- Overall I really like it, it's so cheap (especially not counting shipping) and I know that cheap guitars can be really good these days, but still, it's impressive, if not perfect.

- The main thing is the frets are very rough and I got out my Guitar Player Repair Guide and I'm finally going to learn how to dress frets, or at least sand them. I've played a lot of semi-cheap guitars and I've never felt anything like when you bend a note on this, it's almost grating, feels so un-smooth.

- The volume and tone knob are stiff and I think I'll probably replace the control plate/knobs sometime.

- I should measure to be sure but I'm pretty positive it takes a normal Tele bridge and control plate. I was pretty sure it would even before it came, because it'd be way more work to create new types.

- If you stand it side by side with a normal Tele, it's only a few inches shorter I'd say, but it's definitely smaller and thinner - I think if they made it MUCH smaller than this, they'd have trouble selling it as a normal guitar, they'd kind of have to call it a tenor guitar or mandolin or something. I'll attach a pic.

- It definitely feels quite small, like a Mustang at least.

- I just plugged it in a bit but it sounded fine to me. Most Tele pickups sound the same to me more or less, I guess unless I A/B test them at the same time, and anyway it seemed fine.

- body radius is more rounded than what I consider a normal Tele (for instance the Squier CV in the pic)

- I really don't like the pickguard color but it's obviously a custom shape and would be a pain to replace.

- The color is odd, and you can see grain through it, but it's not what you expect. I think it looks fine though, but it's more of a caramel color than most Teles that are in this ballpark. I just took the picture in a fairly dark room, so it looks kind of like a common Tele color, but in my opinion, the picture doesn't represent the finish correctly. Maybe I'll take a pic in daylight soon.

Neck feels solid and I really want to dress these frets, I really love miniature guitars, and this is a great size. I almost want to get a second one that I can really go to town on.

If someone made bodies/necks this size, I'd be really excited to build a very good guitar this size, I love the compactness. I wonder how much it'd cost to get someone to make something like this from scratch, probably a lot right? Gotta be cheaper to just buy one from Germany and strip it off, but it'd be nice to get a really well done one with the right body radius, imo.

http://imgur.com/X9TkEXh

[​IMG]

2. fofomomo

fofomomo TDPRI Member

By the way I remember those mini Tele kits that Stewart Macdonald used to have in their catalogs and I would LOOOOOVE to get one of those, I used to covet those bigtime, and I really regret never getting one, but I was young and broke. I wonder if anyone has the measurements for those even?

It's sad that there doesn't seem to be much of a market for smaller guitars. I'm a normal sized guy and I can play normal guitars fine but I just really like small ones.

Warmoth sells what they call a 7/8th size Tele body but it's so weird, if you look at the page for it, they overlay it on top of a normal Tele, and it's just as wide, and only a TINY TINY bit shorter, so I guess it's just made to LOOK big but allow you to use a 24.75 scale neck. Blah.

They also only say it works with their "Warhead" necks which have an ugly headstock, so you have to cut it to Tele shape yourself if you want that. They do same that "most" 24" Mustang/Jaguar necks will intonate, but that sounds janky.

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/7-8th/Body/Tele/

3. koko1

koko1 TDPRI Member

Reviving old thread .. My slightly modified Jack & Danny Mini TL from Musicstore Germany .. That's a great playing little beast. Put 12s strings on it.

[​IMG]

4. markc1340

markc1340 TDPRI Member

Reviving an old thread... just incase anyone is still looking for info on kids mini teles. I found this one on Craigslist a while back and picked it up for my son. It’s roughly the same size as the squire mini strats. Made by SX. Neck has that thick gloss finish that I don’t like but it is actually quite well made, plays ok and sounds really good. Great size for smaller hands.
    I’m not sure if they are still available. From memory I paid $30 or $40 for it.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.