Tele microphonic ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bladeboy, Jan 13, 2013.

1. bladeboy

bladeboy TDPRI Member

Has any body had a Tele be microphonic.It only happens with the bridge pickup (lil 59) this is a project guitar I've built I've replaced the springs with rubbers & am now thinking its the bridge plate which does seem a little tinny any advise would be appreciated cheers

2. SwampFuzz

SwampFuzz Tele-Holic

I've read that if you tap on the pickup points with a pencil and it makes a noise, it's microphonic. You can't use a screwdriver because the metal will cause the pickup to go "tap-tap-tap" (it's magnetic) and I'm pretty sure that's normal (all the guitars I've ever had have done that). Wouldn't mind seeing pics of your guitar project

3. JCollins

JCollins Tele-Holic

Teles are frequently microphonic. In fact, there are many who believe that a Tele's microphonic behaviour is part of its charm.

The problem you are having is probably related to the bridgeplate. One thing that I have done, on occasion, that helps mitigate microphonic behaviour in Tele bridges, is to put a layer of foam rubber, in the bridge pickup cavity, underneath the pickup. You don't want to put so much in there that you cannot adjust the bridge pickup height, but you do want enough in there so that it will compress, when you install the bridgeplate.

4. dadder

dadder Tele-Meister

I'm sure this has come up before but anyway...You need to get those pickups wax potted. Some people prefer not to pot them, because it may alter the sound slightly. If you play at any kind of "stage" volume, it will also help eliminate squeal.
    Personally, I wax pot microphonic pickups always.

5. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

I wany a microphonic bridge pickup but not to the point of squealing feedback out of control.

Roy Buchanan's Tele was microphonic and that was a major part of his tone.

6. bladeboy

bladeboy TDPRI Member

Thanks guys,I'll give these a try.I do get a nasty squeal at times so if I can eliminate that I'd be happy all the best

7. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Also, make sure the bridge is absolutely flat to the top of the guitar. Some folks actually sand the bottom of the bridge to get it flatter; others invest in a heavier bridge. The stock Fender "ashtray" bridges often have raised points on the bottom that create voids under the bridge and allow it to move a bit, which can cause problems.

I doubt that potting is a problem with that pickup.

8. Big John

Big John RIP

OK, what am I missing ?

Stuffing the cavity with foam and then sandpaper ing the steel bridge plate enough to affect the sound of the pick up ? - that this even has an effect at ALL ?

Guitars are not microphonic - pick ups are !!

9. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

And here's another potential urban legend for quashing ...

If you use metal springs for your pickup mounts, rather than the rubber-tube ones, that can also lead to microphonics. I've been told ...

I would tend to agree that it's the pickups, not the guitar ... but, there may be things you can do with the guitar (flat-flush seated bridge, foam in the cavity, rubber spring mounts, wax-potting of the pickup, etc.) that can lessen it. Just like novocaine doesn't kill pain, it postpones it ...

10. southwoodgtars

southwoodgtars Tele-Holic

Cold solder joints can also make pickups microphonic. It may be worth investigating.

11. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

if the pickups are microphonic the only way to fix it is to wax pot them. I have a set of unpotted Novaks that kill soundwise, they are the most alive sounding pickups I have but I can only turn the amp (5E3)up to around 4 before they squeal uncontrollably.

Ive tried all the 'cures' including rubber springs and foam under the pickup and nothing works. (these just rule out other reasons for feedback, vibrations etc)

Im torn as to if Im going to wax pot these as I love the sound but I could never play out with them, which is OK maybe. I feel the wax will kill some of the amazing dynamics. I can talk into these and it comes through the amp-they are literally microphonic, lol

[​IMG]

12. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Yes..my oldest and dearest Tele which is now 21yrs old, has always been microphonic, regardless of pickup changes. I can tap the neck..the body..the 3 way switch selector..all can be heard thu the amp.

I love it...it's very much alive :eek:

Listen @ 1:06 into this video clip as I change the 3 way switch :cool:

13. bladeboy

bladeboy TDPRI Member

Just a quick update,I finally got round to packing the pick up cavity with foam & bingo its done the trick,quiet as a mouse hope this helps someone else

14. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

there ya go-it wasnt the pickup. thats great news actually.

15. Terry O'Malley

Terry O'Malley Tele-Holic

I have an Orville les Paul that is microphonic...

I am gonna try a bit of foam inside the cavities as suggested

Gotta love the forum..... Finding solutions to problems I wasn't even trying to solve!

Tezza

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.