Tele made in Indonesia Worthless?

teletail

Friend of Leo's
I'm a firm believer in "You get what you pay for" but I don't believe that ANY Fender product is "worthless" unless it's actually defective. I've never owned a Squier, but I've played a bunch of them and they were all serviceable guitars, as is, with no mods.

Squiretele777

Tele-Meister
I have one of the newer Indonesian Hamer Vectors and it's an excellent guitar in every way.

Ouch, was that just for the pots and labour to install them? Seems kinda steep.
Yup...$130.00 for the pots and to install them,he charged $40.00 for labour,so would 2 coil split pots cost $90.00? lol

Squiretele777

Tele-Meister
Did you go with the SD P Rails? To get all three sounds, wouldn't you need a 5 way switch And a coil split? I'd be curious to know about the noise level on these.
Good luck with your beautiful guitar!
I notice that when i coil split to single,,,the volume goes way down,,,less than half of when their in humbucker mode

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
I notice that when i coil split to single,,,the volume goes way down,,,less than half of when their in humbucker mode

I have a humbucker in a guitar now that, instead of a coil split or tap, is wired to be either both coils in series or in parallel, with a push/pull pot. I feel the in parallel sound is much more like a single coil sound and it is not that much of a drop in volume.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
A guitar is worth what you paid for it until you go to sell it. It’s just that simple. If you like it and you like it enough to make a few small changes so you’ll like it more, do it. You’ll never get back what you put in but that’s if no consequence until you try to sell it. Made in Indonesia, China, Mexico, Japan, or USA, a guitar is worth what it’s worth to you until you try to sell it. And as long as you plan on keeping it, yours is the only opinion that matters.

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
Trying to sell an economy made guitar is always a challenge. However, you always take a hit on anything you purchase new, so the amount of loss is relative. If you purchase a Indonesian built Squire for $450.00 and sell it for $300.00, your loss is $150.00. If it is a Fender branded import for $1000.00 and you sell it for say $700.00, your loss is $300.00. If you buy an American build Fender for $2000.00 and you sell it for $1500.00, your loss is $500.00. Therefore, the amount of loss is what you are willing to a take. These figures that I have included are just ballpark and could be plus or minus either way, but you get the point. Until a guitar reaches vintage status, you are never going to recoup what you paid for them.

Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Pure and simple!

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Absolutely NOTHING wrong with Crafted in Indonesia or Crafted in China Squier Teles.
Seems like maybe your buyer was a used car salesman in a previous life or maybe this one :)

I have American Fenders that cost much more and I enjoy playing the Squiers just as much.
We have 6 Classic Vibes in our house right now and they are all great guitars...

In my daughter's room is a Vintage Blonde Crafted in China CV50s Tele, a Burst Crafted in China CVC60s Tele and a Burst Crafted in China CV50s Strat. The Bass is a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz, the other two are Crafted in Indonesia CV50s. The Purple one is a special edition from Anderton's in London, but it is a Crafted in Indonesia CV50.

IMG_3599.JPG 20211023_144707715_iOS.jpg 20210918_174250238_iOS.jpg 20210828_175938171_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

Asmith

Friend of Leo's
Did you go with the SD P Rails? To get all three sounds, wouldn't you need a 5 way switch And a coil split? I'd be curious to know about the noise level on these.
Good luck with your beautiful guitar!

I mentioned the p rails as an example of a pickup that is designed specifically for splitting. I think the op has gone with some humbuckers from bootstraps pickups.

Squiretele777

Tele-Meister
Trying to sell an economy made guitar is always a challenge. However, you always take a hit on anything you purchase new, so the amount of loss is relative. If you purchase a Indonesian built Squire for $450.00 and sell it for $300.00, your loss is $150.00. If it is a Fender branded import for $1000.00 and you sell it for say $700.00, your loss is $300.00. If you buy an American build Fender for $2000.00 and you sell it for $1500.00, your loss is $500.00. Therefore, the amount of loss is what you are willing to a take. These figures that I have included are just ballpark and could be plus or minus either way, but you get the point. Until a guitar reaches vintage status, you are never going to recoup what you paid for them.

Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Pure and simple!
Yup...your right,it,s happened to me more than once...and the other way around also,,,i have got some very good deals,so it goes both ways i guess.

fuzz guy

Tele-Meister
Yup...$130.00 for the pots and to install them,he charged $40.00 for labour,so would 2 coil split pots cost $90.00? lol

Hardly, I don't think I'd be giving that guy any more business.

If you think you might ever do more wiring mods to guitars then it's really worth it to get a basic soldering iron and learn how to use it. It's not difficult and is a very good way to learn. Guitar components are fairly large and easy to work with and the circuits are very simple.

Squiretele777

Tele-Meister
I mentioned the p rails as an example of a pickup that is designed specifically for splitting. I think the op has gone with some humbuckers from bootstraps pickups.
Yup i,m going with the vintage clear boot strap humbuckers,,,someone mentioned em on here,,sound like they might be what i,m looking for,,,might sound pretty decent coil split too,and not expensive at all,so not much out either way.
Hardly, I don't think I'd be giving that guy any more business.

If you think you might ever do more wiring mods to guitars then it's really worth it to get a basic soldering iron and learn how to use it. It's not difficult and is a very good way to learn. Guitar components are fairly large and easy to work with and the circuits are very simple.
Yup i,ve used a soldering iron lots of times,,,my problem is knowing where the wires go,lol,i find it confusing reading wiring diagrams.

Ronzo

Tele-Afflicted
That’s been my experience, too. And if you’re looking for the Telecaster bridge pickup bite, I think that’s going to be tough to achieve without a larger coil and a brass or steel plate beneath the coil.

colchar

Friend of Leo's
Thats what i was just told,tele squier thinline made in Indonesia are worthless,is this true? i was trying to sell it,,,brand new,,,took $150.00 off what i paid,had 3 people tell me their no good.TRUE?

Why do you believe everything you hear?

And if they were buyers they were obviously trying to lowball you.

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
My CV 70s Thinline, considering the price point, is good for a budget guitar. I don't expect as much as my American Pro Tele. You have to compare a budget guitar against other guitars of that price point:D

Beachbum

Poster Extraordinaire
I've gotten to the point that I've had it up to my eyeballs with people condemning certain guitars regardless of their specs and proven performance simply because of country of origin. It's just plain musical Xenophobia. I've got guitars made in the U.S., Mexico, China, Korea and Indonesia. All pro players and good stuff.

Love my Indonesian G&L Blues Boy.
D3ti15EDv5H6IM9DEWDuLps3uxKB_YvXpR3pCQyQb1qwiZh_LAUu4za-BHkmojnBUe6Br2XSdFg0F3-eKQSjRSoiDjlN-sIccN1wofFYvcoTUSOAo9dVMtgll8ybTagvFiTw20KeeYdnff9eTp7KyKnK91_g749LL8S5B9FzIkdR-15618W1R2lD7OBi00zdqdOdjxuxFjX20seaisRgFB_vc1i29yFD6lumMErUChtd9NtDADus0mR3WOk47H1WOBht5lCGFZrbvv2vYRpb2C3cUNMlr94PzUNqG8Z8QyBBeBFMFCSCNXulYxmrwVW7AqfMJachtcZ5345mlIgh6RlduVttt_xqe-NeRnT-HfKZ2167WHRJDXRJvYJKnS5jVyWjmuZelohOOgHWXfT5zKAorC3Oz3ac4LdfbHV5yWapKsr1ggeON0uygxCjAqUhiYZrONPA1P3IYpe0r5Ui-NgxCy31fo1PSw7VuCWHy0iBPD4sq474D_YXd7lEsWX06pjzNoVGQGWRIu_jQs6rorbXrh_gL6bXQkJZS9fp2iEBOHmMdu_9DA1zLGhCqT4j7DGdSK7xNiNUc2uopW3GgBOMzQYQ8yDjEDRoesdEo81V5_q65NZ11VpMDFxOcAcGMBbIGUlCdCznkNNNG6neQu7o-UqDGIiS-HJMv39SpKJxE512U_boHe0HquzeA6QbBqQAHRszVCO3lOZE0UPNTDVY=w618-h640-no