Tele-less [bye bye Coppercaster]

fstempleton

Tele-Meister
After reading TDPRI for several years, in 2010 I succumbed and bought a 1997 ARVI '52 "Coppercaster" from a craigslist seller. This website did a great job of convincing me that I needed to add a Tele to the herd.
It was a cool guitar, and the eventual addition of a 4-way switch helped, but I never was able to bond with the Tele in the same way as my other guitars. Meanwhile, in more recent years I've had this growing itch for a used Martin.
Karma and fate just came together - I recently walked into a local guitar store, and hanging on the wall was a well-used 1992 Martin HD-28 2R [large soundhole]. I started talking to the guy who was helping in the shop, and eventually told him that I'd probably want to sell or trade my Tele before adding another guitar. We started talking about the Tele, and he said that he'd owned a Coppercaster years ago, and that while he'd sold it, he missed it and might be interested in mine.
The next time we talked a few days later, it dawned on us that I'd bought the Tele from him years ago, and that my Coppercaster was also his Coppercaster. So I ended up trading my Tele for the Martin, and will be Tele-less, at least for a while.
I'll continue to participate on this site, but man does that Martin play well and sound amazing.
As a final public service, it's still uncertain whether the former owner is going to buy back his old Tele from the shop, so if you want a Coppercaster, contact B String Guitars in my location.
Cheers, ST
1992 Martin HD 28 2R.jpg

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
That’s a very nice Martin! Oughta sound great.

It’s OK about the Telecaster. Many guys I play with just can’t warm up to ‘em. That’s why there are so many other options out there.

Reactions: BB

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
Nice Martin, cool story.

Several years ago I got the hots for a Jimmie Vaughn Strat. Found one on eBay and got it at a good price. Was a little surprised to find that it was sent from San Antonio (about 80 miles away).
It came with a tort guard, which I knew wasn't original so on my next trip to SA I went to Sam Ash to get an original Fender 8 hole, white single ply guard.
They didn't have one but the clerk was kind enough to call a buddy.
He directed to me to some little hole in the wall music store where they had one.
Got there, asked for what i wanted and chatted about just getting my JV from eBay.
He yelled to the back office, "Hey Jack, didn't we just sell a JV on eBay? I think this is the guy that bought it. Wants an original pickguard. "
From the back room, "is he from Uvalde?"
I wandered to the back office and he picked up the pickguard from a pile of stuff and handed it to me.
"This one came off that guitar. " Without ever taking his eyes off his computer.
No charge said the guy at the register.
Maybe these coincidences are common to them.
Sorry for the detail...

fstempleton

Tele-Meister
No problem at all with the detail; the other guitar I was thinking about thinning out is an '05 JV Strat with a non original pickguard...

EspyHop

Tele-Holic
I love Teles. Even an inexpensive Tele can be modified to be amazing. However, an HD-28 is a work of art. Good trade.

robt57

Telefied
Glad you got something that suites your druthers, But now log off and don't come back Quintus Caepio! ;) [until you get another Tele]

Nice acoustic to be sure...

fstempleton

Tele-Meister
I don't know that I'd ever been aware of the large sound hole D28s until I saw this one, but did some research before buying and went down a cool trail of Clarence White and Tony Rice stories and videos. Then I sat down and A/B'd the 28 against 4 other Martins in the shop, then my old Washburn D26S and a couple others at home. While it's banged up a bit, it's got a wonderfully balanced tone, plays well, and is a relatively rare variant of a classic guitar [similar to the Coppercaster in those aspects]. The coincidence of reconnecting with the prior owner just sealed the deal.

theprofessor

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't know that I'd ever been aware of the large sound hole D28s until I saw this one, but did some research before buying and went down a cool trail of Clarence White and Tony Rice stories and videos. Then I sat down and A/B'd the 28 against 4 other Martins in the shop, then my old Washburn D26S and a couple others at home. While it's banged up a bit, it's got a wonderfully balanced tone, plays well, and is a relatively rare variant of a classic guitar [similar to the Coppercaster in those aspects]. The coincidence of reconnecting with the prior owner just sealed the deal.
Yes, as much as I like Telecasters, I would have done that deal too. It sounds like the confluence of so many things and the serendipity of it all just made it obvious, not to mention the sound of the Martin itself.

BWNadeau

Tele-Afflicted
I picked up an avri 64 a couple months ago and ended up doing the same - sold it to help pay for a D28. I, too, went sans Tele for a while, but I don’t regret it for a second.

Congrats