Tele Jack Work

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dojoe, Jun 24, 2021.

1. dojoe

dojoe TDPRI Member

Hi,

I've a Tele with one of those jack cups that are recessed. I want to work on the jack, actually put in a True-tone jack. Is it easy to pull the jack cup out of the body on these teles? Any advice on this type of work is appreciated.

Thanks

Fendereedo likes this.
  2. dojoe

dojoe TDPRI Member

Ooops. Pure Tone jack is the one I'll use.

Fendereedo likes this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, pretty simple.

Remove the control plate Stick a finger into the recess for the jack to prevent it rotating as you use a socket to loosen and remove the retaining nut in the jack cup. When the nut is off, gently pull the jack into the control cavity. With the jack out of the way, remove the cup (if it hasn't fallen out already).

Look inside the hole and you'll see a steel bar with a hole in the center that's jammed into the 7/8" bore in the wood. Grab the bar with a large needlenose plier and pull it out. It will flex/bend a little and come out. Hold the steel bar and the cup in your hand, wish them well, and throw them as far away as you can.

You are ready to install your new jack.

I like a metal Les Paul-style jack plate on my Teles. The Electrosocket is a good one too--but make sure to get an Electrosocket with the correct thread (USA Teles need an imperial thread, and imports need a metric thread).

dojoe, scook, Fendereedo and 4 others like this.
  4. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

I am a Lesterplate-dude as well for many years. It’s the first thing I do with all my telecaster electric guitars

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  5. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I like angled jack cables. So I always put a Jackplate.

[​IMG]

6. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Holic

Electrosockets are great

nedorama, fiveightandten and bby85 like this.
  7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have one Telecaster with a Les Paul input jack. Makes sense to me actually. Even the round one screw jack plate is not as secure.

Fendereedo and Tommy Biggs like this.
  8. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

If the existing clip is solid I would leave it in place and just replace the jack socket.
    Unscrew the retaining nut and push the existing jack socket into the control cavity.

Tele_jack_socket_mod.jpg

9. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Electrosocket are the best mod they are cheap and usually come with the threaded jackplug

Fendereedo and Tommy Biggs like this.
  10. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you go with a PureTone, I would switch sockets as well. PTs are very secure and will tend to put more stress on the stock assembly. Also, be forewarned, the PRs are a two-step connection. Don't just push the cable until you hear a click. You need to hear two clicks. Don't ask me how I know... I actually prefer the Switchcraft Dual Contact for this reason. Both are very good.

dojoe and Fendereedo like this.
  11. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I would use the Electrosocket. No modification to the body necessary.

nedorama and Tommy Biggs like this.
  12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

You can solve jack issues with Loctite on the thread, tiny drop. If you are needing a quick solution.

dojoe likes this.
  13. fiveightandten

fiveightandten TDPRI Member

Do yourself a favor and put an electro socket in while you’re at it. It’s extremely solid.

I used to use Les Paul style plates, as I like right angle plugs. But when I found out switchcraft makes a long bushing plug, that sealed the deal on using the electro socket. It provides plenty of clearance for a right angle plug. I’m not sure about the pure tone.

dojoe likes this.
  14. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I'm surprised to see so many others who went the LP Jack plate method like me. I did it before the Electrosocket was a thing - I'm wondering how many others are long timers too.

Today I'd probably go with the ES, but I'm easily 30 years trouble free on the LP Jack.

15. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Unless you install an Electrosocket with a long-barrel jack, some plugs won't go all the way in. I like the LP-style plate because it works with every 1/4" phono plug known to man. And it will not puke its guts in the middle of a gig like the stock cup sometimes does.

Hence my "throw it as far as you can" advice in my post above.

[​IMG]

A horrified pal said, "You did that to your custom shop Tele?" Me: "Yes, I did this to MY custom shop Tele."

RobRiggs likes this.
  16. dojoe

dojoe TDPRI Member

Update: The Pure Tone jack worked like a charm. :)

The threaded cylinder portion of the jack is about 3/16 of an inch longer that the stock jack that was flush with the nut.

I was able to get the new jack installed and now the right angle guitar cable Plug seats amazingly snug into the Pure Tone jack without contacting the edge of the jack cup. Note that the right angle plug I'm using is a slightly protruded plug (i.e. inserts and seats into the jack further than the shorter profile plug that G&H Plugs sells. Sadly, I don't know the model # but I do have both of these plugs on hand. The flush or less protruding plug does contact the edge of the cup)

I used a nut driver (like a screw driver but fits around the nut) to snugly tighten the nut onto the jack. Once I got the jack through the jack cup hole, my wife provided a 3rd hand to get the nut threaded onto the jack cylinder sleeve. Thank you, babe. :)

Originally the plug, especially a straight jack, was rather loose when inserted. I could grab the plug and jiggle/wiggle it easily in my hand. Too loose for my liking. o_O Now I'm very pleased with the Tele jack I've got in my Telecaster!

Cheers, Don

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.