Tele into a Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Axegrinder77, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

Not really, but sorta..

My Strat has taken over at number one.

Love my mim tele with cs nocasters installed, but I'm thinking the guitar could be more utilized with maybe some humbuckers.

I'd want stacked so I don't have to perform surgery on the body. And I might eventually pop the nocaster pups back in later.

Can I get close to LP sounds? What do you recommend?

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Do you have a four-way switch? Hot humbucker tone with Nocasters. Cheaper than new pickups and you dont lose Nocaster tones. Or fiveway, adding another tonal option.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I don't know how close you need do get, but most folks would say stacked HBs are a different animal from PAF-type HBs...

4. Axegrinder77

I'll explore this, thanks.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    boris bubbanov likes this.
  5. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I put a GFS Lil Puncher bridge in my AmStnd, a cheap way to get heavy tones from a tele. About $2,470 cheaper than the Les Paul I was looking at.:)

Axegrinder77 and Rev Rhythm like this.
  6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think you know what stacked means. They are humbuckers with the coils on top of each other in order to mimic single coil sounds but without the hum.

You want the pickups with the double blades or polepiece rows, those are not stacked.

7. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

All the major companies have plenty of mini-humbuckers and rails .. May I suggest the DiMarzio Cruisers?

radiocaster likes this.
  8. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

Not really but sorta is about as close as you're likely to get with stacked HBs on a Tele anyway. A big part of the LP sound is the shorter scale length and wide string-sensing space of a regular HB. Both of those components make for a warmer tone than you normally get with a Tele.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

9. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

The Exchanger...

Or, coil sized rail humbuckers like I did!

10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'd start with a lil 59 in the bridge. If you want bright clean bridge as well i'd probably look at something like a chopper t. If you just want higher gain distorted tones i'd get a super distortion.

You could find a cheap body routed for two humbuckers and a les paul type knob and switch setup and put 57 classics or similar in it and just swap necks or buy a Gibson scale neck for it.

I would probably do this if I ever sell my les paul.

11. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

A Tele will never be a Les Paul ... Or vice-versa ... Structure, scale length, pickup type and location ... Different animals ...you might get a similar sound, but that's all ...

Chiogtr4x and nojazzhere like this.
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

+1 get the 4-way switch ($12 or less online) ... and rotate the control plate for V-T-Switch to the rear for the coolness factor, plus function. Also shielded cable to the jack is a must or you'll continue to collect noise there. Those are my basic Tele auto-mods. There are circuits out there showing how to put the series in any of the four switch position (I like it all the way back).

If you put in humbuckers, you need to swap the volume pot for 500k and get a couple so you can sort for high/low end of that spec to try (it's a 20% range).
    Try a 0.033uF tone cap instead of 0.047uF that is likely in there.

Last couple of items:

Pick forward of the bridge pickup, behind the bridge is where Twang! hangs out.
    You may want to move to different saddles and short grub screws so you can palm mute on the bridge saddles just like a LP.
    Tele ergonomics tend to get players putting their hands on the back of the Tele bridge plate or on the body and picking on top of or behind the bridge pickup where Twang! is.
    Strap on and sit with both a Tele and LP and flip between them playing for a few minutes and stop in mid-pick and check where your hands are -- match the styles of both.

Here's how to copy a hundred guitar models, players, and song styles with a typical Tele. Note where the picking and knob turning happens.

rangercaster and nojazzhere like this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Not like a PAF, but my recently installed Bootstrap Pickups Pretzel bridge p/up is VERY similar to a P-90. Very sweet, but still aggressive.
    I also used a copy of a Hot Rails (single coil-sized humbucker) in the neck position of my PRS SE One, with its bridge P-90......see where MY priorities are? ;)
    Both my Teles have Warmoth "conversion" necks, so Gibson scale and profiles, but they still sound like Fender.

14. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

imo an epiphony is going to sound more like a les paul than a modified tele ("no duh huh cap'n obvious") - my point being why not buy an epiphony on craigslist for $300 rather than spend $150 on pickups? the bridge, body, wood, break-angle, scale, and neck pickup proximity to the 12th fret all converge on the lp sound imo and you can get close to it with other things but I'd encourage you to get moving on your 30+ guitar collection sooner rather than later. (I am an enabler)

15. coolidge

coolidge Tele-Meister

I was talking to Steve about butchering one of my Tele's for HH. Instead I remembered these HH double cut Les Paul standards from back in the 2000's which are relatively cheap $1,100 to $1,300 and bought this one.

These are a bit thinner than a single cut Les Paul standard, chambered to reduce weight, this one is lighter than 2 of my 3 lightweight ash Tele's at 7.4 lbs. 24 frets. Gibson built these to fend off PRS back in the day.

Its currently at the local lutheir shop having Jescar 57100 frets installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LPTyler, Just Dropped In and MrGibbly like this.
  16. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

I'd give a try to stacked pickups, but knowing that different scale length, pickups positions, woods, weight, shape, and bridge will not help you.

Stacked pickup are usually criticized for not getting the exact same tone as said humbucker.

The Duncan Lil 59 is well known, I bought two of them, it is good but never gives me what I expect from a real humbucker. The good point about it is that it pairs well with single coils, and partiicularly those with medium/hot output, like MIM pickups. I don't know for the nocaster. I'd suggest you try one (neck or bridge) along with your pickups.

I do prefer the Duncan JB junior, similar shape to the lil 59, but hotter, more "distrortion", you get more tone for your money if that's what you want.

You could pair the two but you have to know where you want to put the hotter one, neck or bridge.

17. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

I tried something similar with my American Deluxe Tele and Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Pearly Gates at the bridge, etc. In the end, it sounded like and angry Tele and I could no longer squeeze out the light touch, airy, more dynamic stuff I could before. Went to the 51 Nocaster set and haven’t messed with it in years. One thing worth noting is that even a Gibson Nighthawk doesn’t sound all that much like a Les Paul which I assume comes down to the scale length, the bridge, and so on despite similar construction and woods.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  18. Axegrinder77

Thanks for all the advice, folks!

Just to clarify, and it's my fault for misleading I suppose... The goal isn't to sound "exactly" like a les paul. The goal is to differentiate it more from my Strat. I figure throwing humbuckers in there would give the guitar more utility for me, rather than collecting dust as a backup. Something for ballsy heavier stuff. A different sound completely from my vintage sounding strat.

Maybe I can get there with the tele the way it is and I just haven't applied it the right way yet. Just thought it would be nice to have some humbucker girth in my arsenal. Between the two guitars, I have 5 single coil pickups. Seems like I could diversify a bit, no?

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  19. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

I feel a wave of "tele sounds nothing like a strat" coming on - hehe.

I'm sure adding humbuckers will make it sound dif... and you seem to be really hot on the idea so why not just go for it. that said, imo a tele and a strat PLAY more similarly than they sound... and the difference in feel between a fender and a gibson has made me play differently on either. As such - I'd still favor investing in a les paul style guitar more than investing in pickups... but then I have lost count of how many guitars I currently have so... may be biased.

20. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Don't change anything. Just roll off the tone and turn up the gain.

JeffBlue likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.