1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele Incognito Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by wadeeinkauf, Jun 24, 2014.

1. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Afflicted

This will be a carved body so I need a Les Paul long threaded switch. I will look at the pictures of your build. Thanks

2. wadeeinkauf

Fretboard glued and sized Body Work

2014-07-06 17.19.16.jpg
    This fretboard blank was purchased from Warmoth. These come about an eighth of inch thicker than the 1/4 inch needed. So far I have had better quality boards from Warmoth than I did from my first orders from StewMac. The fretboard is now glued, sized, and has the transition at the head.

2014-07-06 15.50.44.jpg
    Cut the wiring channels and slots for the Q filters in the bottom body. I had to do a little leveling due to a hand saw cutting where it was not suppose to. The alder was a 2 inch thick piece that I cut down. I cut as deep as I could on my table saw and then finished the middle cut with a hand saw. I can't believe I screwed up with a hand saw. I would have been better off using my saws all.
    2014-07-07 12.28.27.jpg
    Top and bottom glued, routed and the edge sanding a bit.
    2014-07-08 15.26.14.jpg
    Working on the layout getting ready to make pickup templates and cut them out. Its getting a bit crowded with that big humbucker. I am still a bit worried on the scaled down jazzmaster body. I hope it does not look too small. It is the same length of the tele. We will see.

3. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Looks good like that.

4. kissTheApex

kissTheApex Tele-Afflicted

I agree with Glen Wade. it looks good just like that.

5. wadeeinkauf

Thank you both for following this build and for your suggestions.
    What a fantastic community we have here.
    On my first build which was the this years build challenge there was not a lot of time to research the questions that really only come up when you are building. I hope to have a reason why I do things on this build.

6. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Tele-Holic

That was your first build? Why weren't you in the beginner class?

7. wadeeinkauf

I had made a body for a strat more than 25 years ago. As I remember the rules that disqualified me from the beginner class.
    Josh, I wanted to ask you. What is guitar of choice of for young adults like yourself? When I was a teen it was the strat. None of us could afford one but we insisted on Fenders. My first electric guitar was Fender Musicmaster. $125. For some perspective I paid $300 for my first car. My friend had money (compared to most of us) He wanted a strat but left the music store with a mustang and Fender Preston Amp.

8. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Tele-Holic

I would probably have to say the strat, then again, I don't really have very many friends who know anything about a guitar besides how to play them. Most of my friends only have one guitar, and a lot of the time it's the cheapo squier strat ( which aren't actually that bad) and a few that play actual fenders. I would say that I stray pretty far away from them though, I remember telling a friend about when I bought my seven string, and had no idea that seven string guitars even existed. My personal favorite (besides my Dot Studio) is probably the Parker Nite Fly, which I could only dream of affording, but like to play every time I visit Guitar Center. Theres just something about the Carbon Fiber fretboard that I love so much.

9. wadeeinkauf

Josh, that is really interesting. My guess is you are going to be a great musician. One foot in tradition with you 335 Dot Studio and one in the high tech present with the Carbon fiber Nite Fly. I am not sure about guitars that try to be many things. That piezo acoustic pickup with the humbuckers with a stereo output. Is the market really going there? Your generation will drive it. I can see guitars changing to meet a need. I understand that New Wave or what I called punk rock some guys like to tune down to C. So that has lead to increased popularity of 27 inch or greater scale baritone electrics. We may go through a phase of guitar gimmicks. A professional musician has a style. There probable are only a couple guitar choices that will work for them. And then quit a few "tweaks" on that guitar type. Clapton is a good example. As his primary music style changed so did his guitars.

10. wadeeinkauf

Pickup Cavities Routed

2014-07-10 16.10.25.jpg 2014-07-10 16.10.40.jpg

2014-07-10 16.11.02.jpg
    These routed out nice and clean. It is a pleasure working with a wood like maple. The wire routs on the bottom piece are all visible at the bottom of these new routs so that worked out fine. I am not sure how well that bridge pickup is going to work. That was a strat middle pickup. I changed my mind on the layout after I had it ordered. At that angle the magnetic poles are not going to line up under the strings. If it doesn’t work out I will replace it with a rail pickup from Wilde of the same size. I need a strat pickup for my old ’72 that needs a new body anyway.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  11. wadeeinkauf

Actually I should have said earlier there will be no pickguard. The switch will have to go through wood and I want a least 1/4 of wood remaining.
    Thanks for your suggestion. This got me thinking. I may use a blend pot for the two stacked single coil pickups. This is better than a switch anyway as I was going to tie these two pickups to a single volume control...like the tele. I will be able to mix these as I wish and then feed that output to a single 3 way switch to mix with the humbucker. I have to think about this a bit more.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  12. wadeeinkauf

What tone I am after

1. The clean tele neck pickup tone. Come down just a tiny bid on the tone control and to my mind that is the world’s perfect jazz tone.

2. I want the tone created by a very good humbucker in the neck position. Some if not most jazz players prefer this tone. Looking at ES175 tone. I purchased a new ES175 and kept it for 25 years. I never liked it. I thought I should like it but I just could not get over my formative years with a Fender. Anyway looks like Gibson set that P90 neck pickup over the 24th fret node as well. I was reading where some say in later years it moved a bit on some models. Gibson replaced P90 on the 175 early on. I bet because with the humbucker’s larger string “sensor” range it doesn’t matter so much. My point is I wish I could put the humbucker in the neck position as well to get that tone. Since I can’t I hope this more middle position will produce close to the tone I am after. Here is product thought. Build a highbred pickup that is actually a stacked single coil and a separate humbucker in a single housing. I want to learn to make my own pickups anyway, this would be a good project.

3. Because I can’t help myself, I would love to get near that Clapton blues tone he gets out of his strat. I know they say he uses a mid tone boost. I am really not a fan of active electronics. Anyway that is the reason for the strat middle pickup. Will see how that works out.

13. wadeeinkauf

Carve complete

2014-07-11 12.27.58.jpg
    I mark a half of inch down on the edge of the body all around. Then carve to this line. I fan this carve from the edge up toward the center of the body by only about 2.5 inches along the contours of the body. I taper this carve up to almost no carve at the top of the horns.

I do my carve with this $15 grinder from Harbor Freight and a 35 or 40 grit disk. Actually the grit of the disk doesn't matter too much I have a 250 disk and it cuts right into the wood just leaves smaller scratch marks. Just use a light hand and keep the grinder as level as possible with the working surface.

2014-07-11 12.28.49.jpg

2014-07-11 12.30.53.jpg
    I finished up the carve with the rotary sander with 35 or 40 grit. The whole carve job took less than 30 minutes.
    2014-07-11 15.34.35.jpg

2014-07-11 15.34.51.jpg
    Now back to fussing with the layout for knobs and switches. I have learned that I do not want any switch or knobs near the stroke of the hand/arm when strumming.

I am beginning to feel more confident that this downsized (89.3%) jazzmaster body will look ok. Once its completed and we know for sure, if anyone wants a full size pdf of it let me know. I am happy to share.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  14. Sourdough

Sourdough TDPRI Member

Try how you like the look if you stagger the knobs a bit more.

Guitar is shaping up great. Nice work.

15. wadeeinkauf

Thanks for your encouragement. You cannot see it in the picture but I am trying to keep the knobs off of the deeper part of the carve. I will look more closely at the Les Paul. Thanks for your input.

16. wadeeinkauf

Tone and Volume Switch Cavities

2014-07-13 14.02.13.jpg
    Made a template for control cavity. Cut out as much material as possible with Forstner bit then routed it out.
    2014-07-14 14.02.53.jpg

Gooched of the depth a bit when the router bit slipped down a bit. It was not very deep but still very aggravating. I filled it with epoxy. This is not visible from the outside of the guitar. Just poor workmanship. I make the small lip around the cavity where the cover will set by removing the top bearing from a router bit then rout around the outer edge. Make the depth the depth of the material that the cover will be made from.
    2014-07-14 10.14.01.jpg

2014-07-14 14.03.49.jpg
    This is the cavity for the 2nd three way switch. A bit of tear out. I will fill with epoxy. This will not be visible since the finish in this area will be very dark and the grain will not show.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  17. wadeeinkauf

Ferrules

2014-07-14 12.15.43.jpg
    A lot of time spent making sure these string through holes were in the correct place. I carefully drilled (on my drill press) a very small hole at these locations that I had marked with a punch. Even then the bit did not go through the body completely straight. I ALWAYs have a problem on this task so I am very careful. They came out OK but you can see the smaller hole is not centered in some.
    I will make a thick metal jig for these holes and for the tuner holes which are also a pain.

2014-07-14 14.04.45.jpg

2014-07-14 14.04.11.jpg

18. wadeeinkauf

2014-07-15 12.39.18.jpg

2014-07-15 12.40.04.jpg
    The first time I drilled the hole for the jack I had a jig to keep the Forstner bit straight. Actually using the level on the hand drill works just a good. Once the Forstner bit gets started it is very stable.

2014-07-15 13.00.35.jpg

2014-07-15 13.00.49.jpg
    I do sanding on the edge with the drill press. Trying to do this by hand takes forever. This works great once you get the hang of it and keep the piece moving.

19. wadeeinkauf

Applying the finish

2014-07-15 15.48.44.jpg
    This is going to be a cherry burst finish. This is the first time I have tried this.
    I mixed a bit of cherry, blue, and a lot of black and mixed this with the sealer and applied with a cloth. There are lots of ways to do this. The instructions on the dye says mix thinner and alcohol or water. No matter what you do the wood is what it is and will take the stain as it sees fit. This piece doesn't have a lot of character. Put the black stain on and then sand it off. It should remain in the pores. I'm not sure I particularly like this finish. We will see how it turns out.

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg
    This is after sealer, grain filler mainly on the back and the first coats of tinted lacquer. There will be several more coats tomorrow and the next day.

20. wadeeinkauf

Rail for Bridge Pickup

2014-07-17 17.42.14.jpg
    My Wilde Strat pickup is not going to work in that bridge position so I bought this today at the Guitar Center.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.