1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele Incognito Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by wadeeinkauf, Jun 24, 2014.

1. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Afflicted

This build will incorporate my favorite features of the telecaster that produce those sweet tones that are well suited for jazz type arrangements, and add a few features that I hope enhance this capability. A good example of the style I am speaking of is performed by one of my favorite Youtube musicians Jake Reichbart. if anyone is interested.

First, I really learned a lot from my 2014 Build Challenge project. Don’t bother looking for the build thread, I was disqualified and it has been removed. Below is a picture.
    2.jpg

This new build will be multi-scale 27 inches for the bass and 25 inches for the treble. I will use 3 Bill and Becky Lawrence noise free pickups. A L202TN Tele pickup at the neck, L280SM strat middle pickup, and a L610 humbucker at the bridge.

Anyone that plays or has built a multi-scale, please post a picture and share your thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages of the multi-scale. What scales did you choose and why. Which fret did you use as the parallel fret and why.

Deegatron's entry in the 2014 build challenge was also a multi-scale "B00M-STK". He has made at least two mult-scales and I have asked him to give his thinking on these issues.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  2. wadeeinkauf

The Body

I am trying to make this a good jazz guitar so I think the Jazzmaster body shape would be a good start. But, since this is really a telecaster in sheep’s clothing it needed some work. I wanted the general size of a tele. I gave up on trying to change part of body shape to accomplish this. I settled on shrinking down the jazzmaster shape. I reduced the jazzmaster body to 89.3% of the original. I did make a couple of small changes to the upper body. Below is a picture comparing my body shape and size to the original jazzmaster and to the tele. This will be a 3/4 inch maple drop top on alder with a 1/2 inch carved body. This will be a cherry burst with nitro lacquer.

Here is a note about Nitrocellulose lacquer. I used nitro Cardinal Spray Lacquer from lmii.com for my build challenge at $70 a gallon plus shipping. I had trouble with over spray drying causing that dust like powder. After some research I tried DEFT Clear Wood Finish Brushing Lacquer. It is nitrocellulose as well. Mixed with 1/3 good quality lacquer thinner it sprays wonderfully at my central coast California location AND its $40 a gallon. Much much easier than Cardinal. Note: SPRAY on nitrocellulose lacquer is restricted in California. The law actually says (I think I am the only person that actually read it) not more than one gallon can be sprayed a day. BUT.....all the paint stores and building supplies have stopped selling it. You can get DEFT still in spray cans if you use those.

I am using Agile Pendulum Bridge / Saddle single string bridge from rondomusic.com. These go out of stock and stay out of stock a very long time (months). They are in stock at the moment and are a fantastic buy at $4.99 each. They look much better than the picture so don't worry. I was not sure so only ordered one set to see. They looked so good I immediately reordered two more sets.
    compare.jpg

3. lendryesky

lendryesky Tele-Afflicted

That's an interesting idea. Looks great too!

4. wadeeinkauf

The Neck

From my first multi-scale build with the scales I have chosen I learned that you lose one fret. The nature of the angled frets makes the neck feel shorter to me after the 12 fret, if that makes any sense. Anyway I have increased the neck length by one inch. This, on average, will put the area around the 12 fret the same distance from the body as it is on a single 25.5 inch scale. This will also give me a 24 fret neck. I don't think the last 2 will be very usable though. Because I wanted to keep the overall length as close as possible to the standard tele, I moved the neck pocket into the body an additional .5 inches. This makes the overall length about .5 inches longer than the standard tele…This one will still fit into a standard tele case. Also I will be using a zero fret. All the work that goes into putting the nut depth where a zero fret would be anyway makes no sense to me. And then, it has to be re done for a change of string size. I do not want the string guide to stand out so I will have to figure out how to do this. I am not sure if it would look best to be at the same angle as the zero fret or straight across the fret board.
    comp1.jpg

comp2.jpg

comp3.jpg

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. wadeeinkauf

The electronics

I have indicated I will be using Wilde pickups. I have noticed one issue with the neck pickup. I am thinking the base strings at this 27 inch length produce more vibration energy than at the standard 25.5 inch which the pickups were designed for. At any rate the Low E and maybe the A strings are over driving the pickup when set to spec height..about 2 nickels for the low E. I have adjusted the pickup down on the bass side and this cures the problem but makes me worry about the D string which seems a little soft. I will have better bridges in this build now that Rondo has the single bridge back in stock and this might solve it. It might be my imagination too. I will be using two 3 way toggle switches. This is much safer than the tele or strat style switches when mounting without a pickguard or the medal tele plate. With two 3 ways I can get every combination of the 3 pickups. There will be a common volume and tone control for the neck and middle pickup and the humbucker will have its own tone and volume. I will be using the Bill Lawrence Q filter shared for the neck and middle. If you have never tried the Q filter in place of the cap, I highly recommend it if you want clear crisp bell like tones with the neck pickup. It is only $25 at the Wilde web site. You can use a push-pull pot to change between the standard cap to Q filter if you want to have both.

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. wadeeinkauf

Headstock

I want to get away from the Fender copyright headstock. After much searching I came across this from D’Pergo Guitars. I will make a similar headstock with rounded edges also.
    0274_0404-lg.jpg

7. Awake

Awake Tele-Meister

What is the purpose of splaying the frets like that?

8. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Tele-Holic

fanned frets have a lot of benefits:
    a) it improves intonation
    b)it's very ergonomic
    c)it helps a lot on guitars with more than six strings.For example, on an 8 string guitar, a 25.5" scale is much to floppy for your lowest tuned string, a 27.5" scale would work perfectly. However, a 27.5" scale may provide too much tension for the higher strings, so fanning will give you the best of both worlds.
    d) It looks cool

9. wadeeinkauf

Here are a few reasons I have heard other players say why they like the multi-scale guitars.

1. A longer scale requires a longer string segment between the bridge and the nut. A longer string requires more tension on it when tuned to the same frequency as a shorter string. If you wanted to tune your 25.5 inch scale guitar down for open G or drop D tuning the low E string will get a be “wobbly” and less crisp when it’s tension is reduced to get the lower frequency. Having your string start at the higher tension required of a 27 inches scale means it is still very “crisp” when tuned down for open G or drop D.
    2. I like the full baritone sounds of the base strings. It sounds great for a finger style/jazz type style when only one guitar is used to play chords and melody and bass lines.
    3. It is also a very ergonomic design.

10. wadeeinkauf

Josh,
    I did not get a chance to thank you for the tip on Agile Pendulum Bridge / Saddle rondomusic.com. They are great. Thanks

11. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Tele-Holic

Your welcome. I saw that they were back in stock a few days ago and thought about picking some up.

12. Awake

Awake Tele-Meister

So you are presumably on the "pro" side of the reverse headstock/frequenstator debate?

13. wadeeinkauf

Hello Awake,
    Thanks for your interest in this thread.
    Actually, I was thinking of simply the length of string between the nut and bridge. As I think you pointed out I did not say that in my second sentence above. You are thinking deeper than I was. I am unaware of the debate but I can guess. I think the question might be "If the string is longer INCLUDING the distance from the nut to the tuning machine and the distance from the bridge to the attaching point, will the longer string have a greater or less tension. The answer is no. Only distance from nut to bridge, frequency, and string mass effect tension. BUT the theory goes, because the longer string has more compliance or elasticity, it "feels" like it has less tension. My thinking is that in order to take advantage of the additional length of string the angle after the nut or bridge must be rather shallow.

So my opinion is Leo got it right! Longer treble strings with a shallow angle after the nut means you can bend the he*l out of them.

I think we all know first hand the greatest factor in string tension (whatever factors we perceive as tension) is string gauge. I am surprised the debate is not what custom set of strings is the best for a given guitar.

14. Awake

Awake Tele-Meister

Surely string tension is string tension. The tension isn't any greater between the bridge and the nut than it is on the other sides. How could that even happen? The nut can't have any more than negligible resistance to the string, surely (otherwise when tuning you'd be stretching the string behind the nut until it slipped rather than tightening the string) which means that the string tension is the string tension is the string tension, and it's the same at any point, behind or in front of the nut.

15. Awake

Awake Tele-Meister

Or think of it this way: If the string tension is different behind the nut than in front of it, then it follows that if you push down the bar on a strat until it won't go any further, the tension of the string behind the nut should remain unchanged, because you're only affecting the tension of the string between bridge and nut, right? But that can't be right.

16. wadeeinkauf

You are right. There is only one string tension throughout the string. I think the problem for us humans is what we perceive as tension. Intuitively we know a string can have only one tension once it is adjusted. This could be measured in foot pounds (or whatever). What we perceive as tension is really the tension imposed by the x amount of foot pounds and the elasticity of the string segment. Go to high E string between the nut and tuner. It is so taut you can cut yourself on it. Yet it has the same tension as the rest of the string but not the elasticity of that segment. When you pluck this very taut short string you produce a high pitch tone. If you plugged into the formula for calculating string tension this frequency, length of this little segment and string mass you would come up with the same tension that is currently on this string.

17. wadeeinkauf

String Tension

So what good is it talking about the formula for string tension. Probably not much. But it is good to know what you can do to increase or decrease what we players/builders call string tension. I will use the term effective string tension. On a strat or tele type neck placing the string tree for the E &B string to cause a greater down angle between the tree and the nut will increase effective tension. If you screw the tele string tree up you will notice the decrease in effective tension on these strings. On a LP type bridge creating a greater down angle between the tail piece and bridge will increase the effective tension on the strings. These are just fine tuning. The greatest impact is string gauage size.

18. Awake

Awake Tele-Meister

Interesting, thanks. :)

19. wadeeinkauf

Body

I glued up two pieces of alder for the bottom body yesterday and today cut it out and used the template I made earlier to route it out. I had a heck of time getting the edges of the maple straight for jointing. I don’t have a jointer. I use finished lumber and normally I make a careful cut on the table saw and that does it. Finally I took both pieces of maple with the edge to be jointed side by side and put it in the vice to secure it. I have a 28 inch piece of 2x4 redwood with sand paper from a roll stuck to it with double sided tape. Put pencil marks on the edge and sanded until level. They then went together well. I think the problem is caused by the quilting in the maple. You can see I am using Titebond III. I have just got back into wood working after very many years. In my first project I used Titebond Original. I just hated it. It sets up too fast and was too thick coming out of the bottle. Maybe I got a bad batch or maybe I was just used to my old fashioned wood glue. Anyway Titebond III works much better for me. Working time (they call it open time) is 10 minutes versus 5 minutes for original.
    2014-06-27 14.35.09.jpg
    glued.jpg

20. wadeeinkauf

Cracks or tiny knots in wood

Sometimes wood has small cracks in it. Sometimes there are small imperfections and tiny knots. Anyone with ideas on what is best to handle this. I have been filing these with 10 superglue with a mixture of saw dust like we do fill below the fret slots on the fretboard.
    Thanks

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.