Tele Hwy 1, Pre Texas 2006 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Platefire, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Seems like all the Hwy 1 threads are for the 2006 Texas Upgrade Teles so I wanted to start one for
    us who who like the pre-upgrade model.

Mine is a 2003 I got used in 2006 for $525. I had been looking for a tele for several years just bidding my time. When I picked this one up in the Head South Pawn Shop, I knew it was the one. I would say it's a good cross between vintage and modern with the 9.5 radius neck and medium jumbo frets. Most of the comments I've read on the pickups is that the neck sounds fine but the bridge is bright and harsh. I've found that my adjusting the bridge pu height down not only smooths it out but better balances output with the neck pickup. So to me the pickups sound thicker than vintage which is good with me because I have played some vintage teles that were just to thin/bright for me. So mine is basically stock with the exception of the brass compensated bridge saddles I installed. Still have the original steel saddles just in case but I so far think the brass sound just fine.

This appears to have become my lifetime tele and really have no desire to look further. I do have a project tele, a 2006 Affinity Butterscotch that I have modded the wiring and pickups that runs a close second behind it.

If you have a Pre-Mod Hwy 1 tele that your happy with, please give us the run down on it. Platefire

Hwy1 full#1.jpg
    Hwy1 full with SS #2.jpg

Hwy1 Bridge.jpg

8eighty and sabuchan like this.
  2. sabuchan

sabuchan TDPRI Member

I have a 2004 Highway One Telecaster just like yours, Platefire.

I got it from a used guitar shop in Tokyo area a few year ago. It was in great condition except for some paint damages in bottom of the body (Looks like the thin lacquer coat melted). I got it around $480 US. It's my No.1 since then.
    HW1_1.jpg HW1_2.jpg

I love the 9.5 radius neck and medium jumbo frets. I swapped the original saddles with a Gotoh in-tune compensated Titanium set and installed Fender locking tuners.
    HW1_3.jpg IMG_4.jpg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  3. 8eighty

8eighty TDPRI Member

Mine is a refinished 2003, use it for just about everything. It's really resonant and just sings but desparately needs a refret. I had a post upgrade hwy 1 too but prefer this one :)

Attached Files:

4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have a 2004 Hwy.1 Telecaster so I feel I can comment
    Firstly the bridge pickup amazed me by having NO solid metal base- it was earthed to the metal on a screw to the pickup itself- not a great sign.
    So I put in a Tonerider Classic Alnico 111 pickup in the bridge that had a copper base. Cool, grounding solved. 9.1 Ohms- strong and good output.
    Then I couldn't get the individual strings intonated so I put in a Gotoh chrome covered brass 6 piece saddle set up.
    Have built another Telecaster where the replacement Bridge is an Alnico V- too sharp- so will get another Tonerider Alnico 111- much less shrill in the tone.
    I would advise you to put in better pickups- at least the bridge. JMHO
    Also no-one could get those 3 saddles correct. Maybe think elsewhere. Again JMHO

5. Platefire

Hay nice Hwy 1's! Yes sabuchan yours look's mighty familiar. I'm a big fan of Sunburst. Were those Fender Locking tuners a drop in for existing holes? 8Eighty I really digging your natural refinish with the black guard. Makes it look very much like an original 50's tele.
    Tonetele you got me wondering about those Tonerider PU's but seems kind of hot to twang? Do they come off sounding classic tele? I'm kind of old school:) Platefire

6. sabuchan

sabuchan TDPRI Member

Yes, just remove the original tuners and install Fender Locking Tuners Chrome (099-0818-100). They are drop-in replacements. You can revert to the originals anytime.

Some say that the locking tuners change the tone, but I don't notice any. I love them because they make string changes much easier & quicker.

7. Platefire

OK, Thanks complete with part number. I'll check um out. Platefire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.