Tele humbucker esquire wiring?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by mushjoon, Jun 3, 2021.

1. mushjoon

mushjoon TDPRI Member

esquire wiring.png

Hello, I'm making a tele with a single humbucker (Seymour Duncan Hot Rails bridge) and trying to wire it like a quasi-esquire.

Just like in the diagram, both position 1 and 2 are not connected to the tone-pot. Since Hot Rails are known for being darker in tone compared to other tele buckers, I decided to hook it up to 500K volume pot without connecting to the tone pot.

I think I managed to make the position 1 and 2 work, but I'm stuck on how to make position 3 to work.

How can I fix this?

Please feel free to switch around the position or suggest some different wiring method for single humbucker tele.

P.S: I'm using lots of high gain pedals with high gain amplifier, so I would like to stick to hum-cancelling wiring instead of coil-split position.

Thank you.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You need a 3-way super switch. Basically you need one more pole, somehow. A separate toggle would also work, though not as elegant.

As it's wired, your position 2 has a tone control, which I think you don't want.

3. moosie

The way to think about it is that series requires two poles because both a hot and a common must be moved to make it work. Very occasionally one of those poles can be leveraged to do another job as well, namely on a 4-way, by using a lifted ground to turn off the neck pickup, instead of lifting hot. But that's not helpful here.

The tone circuit is a simple add, but needs to be switched separately from either pickup common or hot.

Let us know if you need help wiring the super.

4. mushjoon

mushjoon TDPRI Member

Thank you for your suggestion!!! I was too preoccupied with figuring out how to make the whole circuit work, so I was simply missing out the whole another possibility of adding toggle switch to the guitar! By adding toggle switch, I will end up with total of 6 possible tonal options (series with tone on/off, parallel with tone on/off and etc...) so it seems like a better choice to me.

Well, I can't really order another 3-way switch since my order has been shipped already and it takes about 2 weeks for the international shipping to get here.

So anyway, I simply decided to add a DPDT ON-ON toggle switch to the humbucker esquire circuit already distributed by Seymour Duncan in their website.

Below is my diagram. Could you please check whether if the wiring is correct or not?

Thank you in advance.

esquire with toggle switch wiring.png

5. mushjoon

mushjoon TDPRI Member

Here is the original humbucker esquire wiring diagram distributed by Seymour Duncan.

esquire_hb.jpg

6. moosie

I should have mentioned it earlier, but you can simply use a noload tone pot to take tone out of the circuit on demand. No need to add a pole, and you get the same flexibility as with the separate toggle.

If you can't easily buy a noload pot, they're pretty easy to make, by scraping the track. There are videos on the topic, I'm sure.

7. mushjoon

mushjoon TDPRI Member

I'll consider the no-load tone pot option as well. Thank you. But is my new wiring diagram correct?

8. moosie

Sorry, yes, it's fine. But you don't need to use the right side of the DPDT. Eliminate the short jumper, and connect both pickup and vol pot wires together at the left common lug.

9. mushjoon

mushjoon TDPRI Member

It's a relief to hear that the circuit is correct haha. Thank you for your help!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.