Tele help!!! 2006-7 Crafted in Japan thinline

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bigben55, Apr 1, 2019.

1. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

What can you tell me about a 2006-8 Crafted in Japan thinline telecaster? I researched the serial number, found the date. What specs does it have? It's the one with the wide range humbuckers and 2 pots. Are they decent? What stumps me is it appears to have a 4 bolt Fender Custom Shop neck plate with the same S/n as it has on the neck. Is there a custom shop in Japan?

2. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Pictures or a link would help.
    Here is the catalog page from 2006
    16.jpg

bigben55 likes this.
  3. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Ill work on pics. Its the top one, sunburst with 2 knobs. It says Crafted in Japan and the serial number is: S040513

4. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Hmmmm . . . A puzzle for sure. I have a 1996ish CIJ TC-72 that I love. The neck pick up is a regular humbucker in an oversized cover. Nothing too special about it. I got a pair of vintage WRHBs for an insane price and put one of those in there.

I’ll be interested to see the photos of this guitar.

bigben55 likes this.
  5. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

tele1.jpg tele2.jpg tele3.jpg

6. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Heres my concerns. First of all, theyre not really concerns, as I'm trading a Vox AC15C1 straight up for it. I'm NOT losing money or value, but not making any either....if it is what it says it is. But 1. whats up with the Custom shop neck plate and stamp on the back of the headstock? The decal on the neck says Crafted in Japan and the serial number matches the one on the neck plate, but did Fender actually stamp the neck plates like that? 2. The Fender logo on the front of the headstock isn't the bigger, blacker font like I've seen on ri thinline deluxes.

How would you explain this?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  7. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

Where's the bullet truss rod adjuster on yours?

I've never seen a Fender guitar that had a serial number on the plate & the body/neck, but I haven't seen every Fender guitar either. If yours is a 72 reissue it should have the bullet truss rod adjuster. Maybe it's just the lighting where it's not obvious to me.

Tuners are also wrong for a true reissue but Fender Japan has done this on the 50's & 60's Ri's too. Wrong bridge as well.

I think there's too many different things for it to be what it says it is. Logo, serial number, truss rod, tuners & bridge.

There are other things wrong too but one could say that's due to customization. Switch cap, knobs, string tree. Don't think that's a Fender Pickguard.

I'd bet it's a Squier Vintage Modified body with a 50's style neck.

It's a mystery, but perhaps a really cool mystery. Is it a nice guitar at a decent value?

8. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I dont have it yet. Would you say it's worth $450? How can I determine if it's a Squier body?

9. jondanger

Can you pull the neck? I’m wondering if you’ll find 5 bolt holes under that 4 bolt neck plate. You’re right about the headstock logo. It should be the block print logo.

The curve on the bottom rear edge of the headstock is VERY characteristically CIJ. If you look at AVRI necks, there’s a distinct difference.

CIJ:

[​IMG]

AVRI:

[​IMG]

I have less experience with Custom Shop models, but I suspect they are more similar to the AVRI series.

Custom Shop:

[​IMG]

My best guess is that someone has put a CIJ TL-52 neck on an AVRI or CIJ body, and had a custom shop neck plate made to match the serial number on the neck. Pull the neck though and we’ll see if there’s an extra hole where a three bolt neck plate used to be.

Funny, because while I like the neck on my TC-72, I have thought about putting a neck with a rosewood board on it, and 3 bolt Japanese rosewood necks are pretty damn hard to find. I considered ordering a 4 bolt neck and drilling the extra holes, but either decided against it or haven’t made it a priority - not sure which.

G.Rotten likes this.
  10. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

It's a partscaster of some sort. First of all there are no MIJ custom shop guitars. If it's a Japanese neck, someone added the custom shop logo. A better picture would help of the headstock but the neck is not from a thinline. The neck plate is fake. I have my doubts that it's worth the value of the Vox.

11. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

The neck appears to be a quality neck from what I can see. It may even actually be a CIJ neck (just not a 72 RI, & almost certainly not a Custom Shop). If you google Squier 72 Thinline you'll see it has the same bridge, pickguard & switch tip. The Squier pickups also say Fender on them, but as another poster mentioned it will likely end up being a Standard size pickup under a Wide range cover. If the neck feels good & is straight it might be worth grabbing. I'm in Canada $450 CAD for a parts-caster that appears to be mostly Squier with some unknown bits would be my max if I really felt that neck was quality. Ask the seller if they'll remove the neck & send pics. Maybe it says Allparts on there. Or maybe it proves it a CIJ 50's RI. if so, then even better.

12. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Looking at the bridge it looks like a squier body it has five screws like the squier and not the 3 screws on the MIJ. The problem I have with it is the custom shop sticker and neck plate. A partscaster is fine but when you try to tell obvious lies I wonder what's hiding under the hood.

13. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

The neck and the body are clearly from different guitars.

I suspect the Custom Shop decal and neck plate are fake, and added by a previous owner.

The string ferrules on the back of the body are not correct for an MIJ CIJ Thinline. They should be flush.

As mentioned above, the bridge is incorrect for that model, as well.

In my opinion, your amplifier is worth more than the guitar, and I would not make the trade even up.

14. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

It would be real nice to find out what that neck is. If it were a CIJ Fender I'd go ahead. Unfortunately, you'd have to get the seller to come clean. They know it's not a Custom Shop or they wouldn't take $450 for it. I'm still 100% sure it's a Squier Vintage Modified body though. Nothing wrong with that, may need some electronics upgrades.

I had an Allparts 50's neck that was rounded on the headstock. It was a nice quality neck.

https://stratosphereparts.com/new-f...r-tele-replacement-neck-vintage-c-0990063921/

jondanger likes this.
  15. jondanger

I wasn’t familiar with the vintage modified model. The four bolt neck thing matches so I think you’re right about that.

Might be worth looking into how the Squier pickups differ from Fender ones. It’s my understanding that the AVRI and Mexican models used the same pickups when they were making those reissues.

16. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

I'm at work on break so I just did a quick search. Turns out the Squier Vintage Modified 72 is in another tdpri thread. Pickups look decent enough. So maybe just a switch & pot change (someday).

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/squier-72-thinline-pickups.513528/

17. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

Value wise, it'll come down to whatever that neck is. Again, it appears to be a quality neck of some kind.

18. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I passed on the deal. It was clearly a Squier body with a CIJ neck, a nice one. The truss rod adjusted from the guitar body side with a big Phillip's head. Gotoh tuners, replaced bridge saddles. I didnt pull the neck, didnt need to but the guy said I could. He bought it used. He wasnt trying to pull a fast one, no hard feelings, and it was actually nice. I just couldn't value it anywhere near $450. Thx guys!

jondanger likes this.
  19. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I'd say the neck is original. The neck plate is totally fake. The serial number has been hand stamped - the numbers wander

I'd say it's a CIJ neck from a 52-type on a Squire body.

On principle I'd say reject it. You can buy a real CIJ Tele Thinline if you want. They have 3-bolt plates, microtilt, bullet truss rod adjuster and correct bridge.

The real ones have ceramic bar magnet pickups that are OK - pretty PAFish, not like a genuine 70s but then nothing is.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.