Tele headsock shape

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ebb soul, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

It's hard for me to imagine a headstock shape other than the original for the Tele. It's minimalist, like the guitar itself, and therein lies its beauty. A few years later and the Strat appears to usher in the space age. Both guitars are beautiful classics in form and function that have still not been improved upon IMO. And you MUST have and play both to be complete! :cool:

howardlo, RLee77, Iago and 1 other person like this.
  2. Solaris moon

Solaris moon Tele-Meister

WHAT?!?!? Do your eyes work?! Um I can't think of anyone who doesn't love the shape of the Strat headstock! You are an exception.

That's what RATMOTH calls the BELLY CUT because they're stupid! It's actually called the RIB CONTOUR as this is how country musicians of the day held their instruments. Like Eddie Van Halen did at the end of the "Jump" video. He said it was more comfortable to play held high on his body. Hank Williams Sr. also played this way. I too played this way and I still do. I weighed a buck 25 when I was Hanks age before he died. Most guys call it the belly cut because they're FAT!! This was never meant to be held against your stomach, but rather against your ribs when playing. It was designed by a man named REX GALLION along with the forarm countour and rounded edges of the body. I don't know of anyone who holds their guitar against their stomach area, or anywhere close to it!

The women of the day that the coke bottle was designed were by and large FAT! This is why the early bottles were THICK. These were later slimmed down when the victorian women got a burr up their butts and decided to go "Wasp Waisted" in an attempt to look more attractive to men. And when FORREST WHITE designed the Telecaster body he also designed the headstock too! This was after the second stage prototype was approved for Dale Hyatt to take on the road to guage the reaction of local musicians. They were to try it out, and report what they thought that it needed at the time, and a rounding of the body was not one of them! The headstock shape was done because they didn't know of any real shape to give it at the time. Even in Leos' words he said that the headstock was a "Minimal shape" and they barely had enough room to put a logo on it! They felt that it was the "Ugly sister" to the Strat once it was designed. So no matter how you look at it with all the hand shaping that these underwent the headstock design of the Tele did undergo a few changes in shape over the years although many of these are slight and unnoticable to the naked eye.

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Forrest White came on board in the early 50s, well after the Tele.

4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

So, is this forum is in a freedom of speech country?. It is, and , I'm entitled to my opinion.
    Look up old Luthier books ( see The Complete Guitarist by Richard Chapman ISBN 0 751 30 015 4 X Paperback edition p.16 and Merle Travis guitar by Paul Bigsby p.19) and that headstock was on early Martins and earlier guitars and lutes.
    I think the headstock on the Telecaster is graceful and not garish- not like some models of guitars.

Leo Fender was also insistent about the Brush Script Logo of his name likening the F to the gracious curve of a woman's back.
    So, I don't like the Strat headstock. Live with it.

hellopike and boris bubbanov like this.
  5. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Tele, strat, gibson les Paul, Epiphone, and most (but not all) headstocks look just the way they should to me, I like them just the way they are and they each fit and define the guitar they adorn. I have to say though, the tele took some time to grow on me, because I was a Gibson LP and strat guy long before I got my first tele, and that minimalist headstock at first seemed too tiny. Now I wouldn’t want it any different.

moosie likes this.
  6. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Holic

There's a whole lot of different shapes trying "not to copy" the originals and usually they look just awful. I made me a "baritone" guitar from a "tele" and I wanted the headstock to be different from tele, so I made it "like a strat", but with a "tele tip". I always kinda felt that the tip of a tele headstock is not quite round, but it has a couple of teeny weeny edges before the slimmiest part. So, my "baritone headstock" looks like a strat, but with a tele tip. I really wish I had a photo now.. oh wait - but I doo - "Out of my own head" - I was very happy with this: (I also felt like a nameless headstock is just "stupid" and because it's "my work", there's no idea to glue in Fender decals. So I came up with "Catalina". After all, it is also a certain brand of Gretcsh drums - just like "the Broadcaster" was at the fifties.. ;) )

IMG_4252.JPG

7. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

To me the Tele is too small for the body but somehow right. I can't imagine it being any other shape. The small Strat headstocks are good too.

Owenmoney likes this.
  8. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

So the Snakehead headstock didn’t need a string retainer but the Tele headstock does.

That doesn’t seem minimalistic to me.

9. MatthewK

MatthewK Tele-Holic

It's a horse's head in profile - the Tele was designed for country artists.

10. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Aren’t we all, and age has nothing to do with it !

moosie likes this.
  11. Torvald

Torvald TDPRI Member

20180821_072505.jpg I think the Tele headstock is a thing of beauty and grace. Leo got it right the first time and never improved on it. Form follows function with a couple subtle curves to make it graceful.
    Don't like the Strat headstock at all, especially those large CBS ones! I too would rather see a Tele headstock on a Strat, than the opposite.
    My second favorite headstock is this one. For the same reasons I like the Tele headstock.

howardlo likes this.
  12. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

And he was Fender's plant manager - he was over production, not design anyway. His job was to streamline production as they added models to their lineup.

13. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When it comes to headstocks, I'm surprisingly (to me) inflexible. I can come around, occasionally, but it takes a while.

The Strat headstock... I think when that was first drawn, the angels sang. I don't mean all the other, earlier, lumpy versions, like Bigsby, Martin, etc. Something about the Strat, whether I like the guitar or not, the lines of the headstock are just perfect (to me).

Gibson, yes, very much. It's not the exaggerated spread of some archtops. Yes, there are always issues with angled headstocks, but there's also more break angle over the nut, which is always a balancing act with Fender.

Epiphone, no. Too long, and that viney tree of life is the ugliest thing I've ever seen. Like that neighbor's lawn, crammed with bird baths, pink flamingos, and white wrought iron.

I didn't like the Tele at first, but came to love it because of my feeling for the guitars. Initially it seemed too thin and pointy to me. Embarrassingly tiny. And the 70s Strat headstock was the embarrassing over-compensation for same.

Martin, too, I love now, but not at first. Thought they forgot to finish it.

Collings haircut shape is the only one since the 50s that seems unforced, naturally graceful, to me.

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I wanted to like what this guy said.

But I couldn't - he's got the same name as me!

:^)

[​IMG]

Simple, classic, organic design where neither form nor function are sacrificed.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  15. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

I just now noticed that the thread title says “headsock”... :p

moosie and tintag27 like this.
  16. Good Iron

Good Iron Poster Extraordinaire

The Broadcaster headstock was designed and modeled after a violin - looking at it sideways... There is at least one other post I made of this... if not more...

17. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I love the Tele headstock. Also the pre CBS Strat headstocks too.

18. trep53

trep53 TDPRI Member

The Telecaster headstock is fancy but not too ornate. It's a Florentine curve that doesn't double back or look too overpowering.

19. Revelation

Revelation Tele-Meister

I like the Telecaster headstock as well as the G&l Asat Classic.

20. Elkasaurus

Elkasaurus TDPRI Member

Tele ---> Strat

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.