Tele for under $1000? Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Moonie, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Moonie

Moonie TDPRI Member

Okay been awhile since I've posted.. Hi everyone!

Im looking for a work horse tele. I dont want to spend over $1000..

I currently have a 1997 52 reissue.. and its my child .. I've had it since it was made. The day I ordered it was the day it was completed. I have had this thing ever since as my main axe.. and it currently looks like a Relic. I've got somethings done to it over the years.. plus I have as Scruggs tuner on it. Which is a pain in the butt when traveling with a gig bag. Even a good one

As I get more and more busy.. gigs.. sessions.. traveling.. plane's scare the crap outta me.. It is time I get something I dont have to have a heart attack it leave's my sight. This guitar to me is irreplaceable. There is no another one I have touched like it. Plus mine is the old C shape before they changed the necks.

I like the 52 basic style. I've been looking around.. I might go with the Reverend Eastsider T.. "Maple neck comes out in April" mainly because they are local.. well they are I know Korea isn't. Any other ideas anyone can toss my way would be cool? I know the old MIJ reissues rocked back in the 80's and early 90's. I see them on Ebay.. A buddy of mine says the MIM Nashville tele's are a nice hidden jem for the price .. once you yank out the middle pick up, change the pick gaurd and replace the pots.

I've talked to that company on Ebay that builds the worn Fenders and uses Allparts.. but I really wanna keep it under $1000.

wow this post was too long

2. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

Hwy 1

3. AlexEP

AlexEP Tele-Meister

Hwy 1 or Baja. I can speak very well of both!! :)

4. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Judging from their other products, I'd expect that Reverend tele to be an outstanding instrument.

5. ckloewer

ckloewer Tele-Meister

I found a Squier that played well to my needs. I replaced the pots with some nice CTS, a Zoso cap, Callaham Vintage Bridge, and some Fralins and it's become my favorite guitar. I play it more than my 40 year old Les Paul and more than any of the guitars I've built piece by piece by hand. It sounds great, just has a cheap looking headstock and truth be told I'll probably build a new neck for it someday too but I can do that myself so it won't cost me hundreds of bucks. Total costs as such

Squier Tele on CL - $100
    Callaham Bridge - $122
    Frains PuPs - $180
    Pots - $10
    Threaded wire - $5
    Cap - $3

$420 total. If you can't live with the Squier headstock you could always buy some sandpaper and some ReRaunch and drop another $30 and a few hours of your time to put whatever you wanted up there. You could even buy a custom next from somebody like Mighty Mite and still keep your total costs well under $1000. Looking around all over the place for pickups and hardware is really fun and working on a Tele is easier than changing the oil in your car. Have fun with it!

6. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

I bought my son a Highway 1 for his 16th B-day. It is pretty sweet and like $600 or so.

7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Work Horse!!??

HWY-1

Go to www.guitarcenter.com and click on used gear.

Search the word "highyway" and search "HWY" nationwide and see what you find. I bet you'll find 10 of them. Call the stores and ask the manager to hold the actual guitar and describe every inch to you. If you buy one and something is not to your liking you have 30 days to return it to any GC. 100% cash back if you don't like it.

I've bought two (used) HWY-1's this way.

I paid $450 for this HWY-1 Tele workhorse.......

[​IMG]

.......and $425 for this HWY-1 Strat workhorse......

[​IMG]

The cases cost about $75 extra. It's a good way to buy. It's safe and you get a good deal.

8. drb1346

drb1346 Tele-Afflicted

Another vote for the Highway One. Got mine in '06 and play her every day . . .

9. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Roadworn 50's, or Baja. Mim Classic 50.

10. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

No love for an American Standard? New ones can be had new for $850 from the big box sellers if you time the purchase with a 15% coupon.

I've been considering a like new one from CL but the seller is still high on the asking $.

11. telejoseph

telejoseph Tele-Meister

Get a MIM Standard, then put a vintage bridge, bone nut, and a new neck pickup on it. Roughly £650, plays fantastic!

12. jack 400

jack 400 Tele-Meister

One more vote for American Standard.

Attached Files:

13. Flatfoot

Flatfoot Tele-Meister

Highway One.

14. Twang Banger

Twang Banger Tele-Meister

Get the cheapest American tele and drop some Fralin stock tele pickups in it and i can almost guarantee you'll be stoked.

15. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

American Standard
    American Special
    Highway 1

16. DMAND

DMAND Tele-Meister

Baja!

17. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]Hwy 1 workhorse seen plenty of gigs and never been in a case.

18. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Yes get an American Standard. Fenders current best value.

19. jmaul

jmaul Tele-Afflicted

should be able to get another used 52 RI for under a grand- ever thought of that?

something to be said for consistency, but if you want another flavor to add to the kitchen I understand.

20. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I've seen some very good deals on hellomusic lately.. Past weekend they had an American standard for $825 and 60th anniversary for $950 plus a $100 off coupon.. Just need to strike fast, the really good deals go quick..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.