1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele for surf?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Rich_S, Mar 5, 2013.

1. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

Forgive Me,

If I don't think your looking at the right Tele's Rich!!! Mine is the White one, which now has the Chet Arm and has some Foam Green Nitro calling it's name!

Attached Files:

2. bigbandtele

bigbandtele Tele-Holic

I've been toying with adding a trem to my tele for surf, but I'd go with this:

[​IMG]

3. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Ooh, what is that?

Edit: Never mind, I found it's the GuitarFetish trem. I like the looks of that. The squarish plate makes it look more like its supposed to fit on a Tele. Still an awful lot of chromey metal on that poor little Tele, though.

cschlish, I'm usually a surf/seafoam kinda guy, but that red Tele is hot. What is that, a mostly-worn-though Dakota Red?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  4. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I'm using my stock teles for surf currently.
    I used to use a Jaguar. See Reluctant Aquanauts link below.
    But the Tele is a fine surf guitar. As stated the guy in the Lively Ones used one as did Nokie Edwards for a lot of his studio recordings on the early Ventures records.

5. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

It's a Revelator Dakota Red Relic, they ain't cheap!

http://www.revelatorguitarworks.com/

6. voodoo_idol

voodoo_idol Friend of Leo's

Teles are fine for surf. Tremolos are a bonus but not required. It is mostly about the reverb. Amp tremolo not required either.

An old thread I was involved in on SG101:

http://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/12614/?page=1

Excerpts:

[ColtsSurf] I read this on the TDPRI and found it interesting. The comments are from Elliot Easton of The Cars:

"I believe that some of the biggest surf hits are played on Telecasters. Here's why: many of the "bands", like the Marketts were actually made up of studio musicians like Tommy Tedesco, Jerry Cole, Hal Blaine and other members of the "Wrecking Crew", the studio musicians who played on most of the hits out of LA in the '60's. If a record took off, as was the case with "Out Of Limits", the label would simply put together a group of nice looking kids who could play and put them on the road as The Marketts, but they didn't actually play on the records. The Wrecking Crew played on everybody's records, from the Beach Boys to Sinatra, from Phil Spector to the Tijuana Brass. Every one of those guitarists played Telecasters on the rock 'n' roll sessions. In any photo of them that's all you see. They were mostly jazz guitarists and they all went out and bought Telecasters that would enable them to get more work playing the top teenage sounds. Kessell, Howard Roberts, Bob Bain, Tedesco, Burton, Deasy, Cole; they all played Telecasters."​

Then a bunch of people saying Elliott was wrong.

[Voodoo_Idol (me)] I'm on TDPRI under the same user name. I recall this thread. I think Elliot is overstating the case a bit, but there is some truth to what he says.

The first wave, especially at the beginning, had a number of bands (10, 15, 20, ?) -- the ones we all recognize -- that played all the instruments internally and Teles were probably rare in those instances.

As alluded to by Elliott, towards the end of the first wave and into the mid-60s, there were a slew of surf and hot rod albums put out by the session cats associated with the Wrecking Crew, using names like the Marketts, Avalanches, Darts, De-Fenders, Deuce Coupes, etc.

I think it is fair to say that of the Wrecking Crew guitarists, Tommy Tedesco (Tele) was by far the most prolific in this era, with Jerry Cole (mostly Strat?) and James Burton (Tele) probably 2-3. Beyond that, and just based on my anecdotal understanding and lots of reading, Glen Campbell (Tele, Strat), Howard Roberts (jazz box, Tele) and Billy Strange (mostly JM?) were probably on the most recordings. Also, Lolly Vegas (Tele) played guitar on the Deuce Coupes sessions. So it is logical to deduce that a significant percentage of the session cat's surf output was played on Teles.

All that being said, I don't think too many of surf's most memorable hits came off these albums.​

7. voodoo_idol

voodoo_idol Friend of Leo's

Here's a cool surf-ish song with a tele. The Deadly Ones were a mid-'60s (Nashville?) studio project led by Joe South.

8. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Love the GFS xTrem system - much easier re-string design than the Bigsby!

[​IMG]

9. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

I've played a ton of surf on Teles, with and without Bigsbys. Many songs require trem, but some don't; Dick Dale's Strat is a hardtail, so he's never used it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.