1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele for modding

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by PaulHaa, Mar 21, 2017.

1. PaulHaa

PaulHaa Tele-Meister

Hey,

I want a cheap Tele to mod. I just want to know how much I should spend on it. The Pickups and tuners don't matter. So it's just about a nice finish and a nice neck. Any ideas for a squier?

2. kaynray

kaynray TDPRI Member

Just about any used tele you can afford and still have cash left for your mods will do just fine. IMHO if you like the neck on any given guitar you can turn it into a fine player. Some folks mod their new American Specials, some mod their ratty old Affinity or MIM. Find one you like to play then mod away my friend. My experience is that modding a guitar you don't like to play rarely makes economical or playable sense. That being said I have a bud who modded his 50's classic vibe with a new neck and later dropped some single coil size humbuckers into it. Now he's talking about replacing the body cause it's too heavy for him. Seems a little over the top to me. But then again, his money not mine.

3. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic

I might suggest looking for a used Classic Vibe Tele - I was VERY happy w/ the Neck and Body that came with mine, really nice! They ARE heavy though - my modded CV 50s is close to 10 lbs

TMMC and PaulHaa like this.
  4. peterleroux

peterleroux TDPRI Member

They're also already routed for a neck humbucker, and US spec parts fit

PaulHaa likes this.
  5. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

rondomusic.com

Great platform for modding.
    This one is $90 new http://www.rondomusic.com/eg491bicar.html

EDIT: my thinline in my avatar is a Douglas Gravity I got from rondo. Great guitar. I am not satisfied with the bridge, but that that is more a matter of taste. I like the neck pick up, I am not overwhelmed with the bridge pickup, I am planning to replace the bridge and the bridge pick up in the future.

My Douglas overall is impressive. The tuners are very adequate. Not impressive, but they work. The tuner quality is on par with sub $400 guitars (maestros, epiphones, affinities, etc.)

I have 2 Epiphone SGs, one has Grover Tuners (awesome but heavy) the other has stock tuners that are comparable to the tuners on my Douglas.

If you go Rondo route, expect to dress and crown the frets, mine weren't bad, but did need a little attention. Truss rod works, neck is great.

Ebay has a bunch of Squires under $300.
    And although I have never played a Jay Turser I have heard good things about them. If I were in the market I would look at this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jay-Turser-...663085?hash=item25d180b52d:g:YCEAAOSw2gxYxY5n

too bad it is not a lefty. Actually, being a lefty has prevented a bunch of GAS over the years.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    CJMann likes this.
  6. Pisgah

Pisgah Tele-Meister

Mod a non-Fender. Every old Fender is worth more un-modded. Everybody wishes they hadn't modded their old Fender. Just buy a nice Fender and be done with it.

callasabra, bingy and TMMC like this.
  7. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

Hey guys, this is the Squier subforum... choose a Squier! If you do: DON'T remove the decal.

I think whatever rocks your boat will do. The Squier telecaster I like the least soundwise is the chinese Affinity, it feels good, but the sound just does not appeal to me. So that's the model I'd choose for a first mod project. They are cheap, exist in nice colours, feel good to play, and the quality is a lot higher than some (but not all) other "budget" guitars.

If there is another model that is closer to your desired specifications, take that one and mod as little as possible.

One mistake a lot of "modders" make is that after they spent a lot of money changing a guitar to their ultimate desires, is that expect to get all their money out of it when they sell it. The chance that I'd buy a modded guitar is close to nothing. I certainly wouldn't pay as much for a modded guitar as for an unmodded one, unless there were some diamonds or real gold parts I could easily sell.

8. Revnelli

Revnelli TDPRI Member

Tele affinity Indonesian - the one with the amp etc. Sell the little amp. Much better to mod than the chinese affinity - all parts are standard. Through body strings. Nice neck with skunk stripe. Also has a neck humbucker route

Felino and nicod98 like this.
  9. Revnelli

Revnelli TDPRI Member

See what you mean about the bridge - it may be string through - but those chevron holes won't fit anything made by fender....
    Looks nice apart from that. What is the routing like?

10. callasabra

The routing on mine is sufficient for the single coils. It is not routed for a humbucker. the control cavity has sufficient room for upgrading/adding some electronics.

My bridge is "vintage style" with 3 holes, toploader. I have measured and I should be able to get an aftermarket bridge or boutique bridge to fit without plugging and redrilling holes.

for a little more green you could get a squire. I have only handled affinities in stores.

It is my impression that sawtooth guitars is on par with first act. Since this will be a modder and not something you can/will be able resale, the name on the head stock should be irrelevant.

11. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

I bought a nice Squier used at Guitar Center for $65 a while back. All it needed was some work on the ends of the frets (otherwise, great frets). Even turned out to have its humbucker upgraded to a Duncan Distortion that was worth what I paid for the guitar.

I can pretty much always walk in my local Guitar Center and pick up a used Squier, Jackson, Epiphone, Ibanez, etc. for under $150. Look at some used Squiers and go cheap.

12. callasabra

I am a little envious of you for this. Normally, I see these models used selling for $200+
    My nearest GC is 3 hours away, though.

This is probably a good thing though. I have a bad habit of buying Epiphones when the price dips below $150. The last one I bought was $50 on ebay.

LAGinz likes this.
  13. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Might not work at your GC. Other than the one in Lexington, Kentucky, I have never found another with good deals or selection of used guitars. In Lexington, they take them in regularly, sell them cheap and move them fast. Saw some decent amp prices at one in Memphis the other day - Fender silver face Twin reverb and Super Reverb, both around $600 or less.

callasabra likes this.
  14. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

It is tempting, isn't it???

callasabra likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.