1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele FMT HH - Who Owns One?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by castpolymer, Aug 1, 2010.

1. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

I am considering a trade offer for one of these Teles. I have been itching to add a humbuckered Tele for a while ( traded off all my Teles except the Hot Rod and my homebrew Mahogany ). I have looked up all the specs on the guitar and my only real concern is the neck. Is it thin, thick or the standard Fender C shape ( like a MIM standard ). How do those Duncan humbuckers sound? Any help is appreciated. I have added a file pic of the exact model that I am considering.

Attached Files:

2. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Red 2.jpg

This is mine I bought 3 years ago. The pickups are indeed Duncans, PAF 59 in the neck and a Pearly Gates in the bridge. The neck is set, 'modern C', very thin with jumbo frets. Very fast action.
    I found many of the dimensions comparable to a Gibson SG. The body is very contoured and thin compared to a standard Tele.
    I really enjoy this guitar a lot. It's all over the top of much of my music on myspace (url below). Both pups are very clean and the bridge is very sweet. It wont bark at you like a Dimebucker but you can get some nice sounds with the distortion full tilt.

3. castpolymer

Would you saythe neck is thinner than a MIM Standard?

4. Textele

Textele Tele-Holic

I used to have one and the neck is THIN, way thinner than current MIM or past MIM.

Great guitar for what it is, has coil taps, lots of tones in there. Frets are huge, it is a very light guitar. Body is thin and contoured, so much so I found the one I had to be neck heavy. Like an SG. A wide strap fixes that issue.

Can get some pretty convincing Les Paul tones and decent Tele tones with pups tapped.

5. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

What he said.

6. bamarags2002

bamarags2002 Tele-Meister

I've got an old 86 MIJ Contemporary Tele with similar features, though its got a pretty fat neck, and a Fender branded floyd-rose tremolo bridge (which i've got locked down). What do these new ones go for?

Pics of mine if anyone's interested

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. addisj

addisj Tele-Meister

I am also thinking about buying an FMT HH.
    I have the same Pearly Gates Plus in my MIA Fat strat and the sound is perfect for my music. I can cut through the mix very easily and everyone complements the sound I get.

My problem is I cant get on with strats - Has to be a Tele or Les paul
    With a Les paul and a duncan which is wound almost identical to the Pearly Gates Plus its just too powerful/heavy (not in a distorion way) and some detail is lost there somehow. I cant fix this with amp or pedal settings.

I am just worried I wont get as much articulation as I currently get with the Alder bodied, maple necked Strat - as I dont with the Les Paul.
    Unfortunately none of my local shops stock this model so it means just buying one mail order to find out. Its bound to be less of a heavy sound being a lighter body and thinner neck than a LP...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  8. Textele

Textele Tele-Holic

Having owned one, I would say that is a correct assumption. It has all the sustain characteristics of a Les Paul, but with the thinner body (less mass) and the fact it is a 25.5" scale guitar, like your strat and tele, it does not quite boom like a Les Paul. Mine never sounded muddy, always articulate.

I really miss the tone and versitility. Not so much the neck and frets.

I would never encourage someone to buy a guitar without playing it first. But for what you seem to be seeking, this guitar may be exactly what you are looking for. Remember it also has coil taps and has some great single coil spank also.

9. castpolymer

The thin neck would be a deal breaker for me. I am really getting used to playing a thick neck ( so much less hand fatique ). Thanks for the info!

10. castpolymer

The guy I have been emailing on CL was asking $ 450.00 for his ( though that is a bit high considering it has a finish crack coming off one of the tone controls ).

11. therhodeo

therhodeo Tele-Meister

My red FMT has been my main go to guitar since I got it in 04. My hands just fall on it right.

12. castpolymer

It really is a drag about the thin neck. Other than that, I really kinda dig the guitar.

13. addisj

addisj Tele-Meister

Hmm now I am even more tempted to buy one - thanks for the input.
    Coil taps giving a little spank would be great too, as you say very versatile which means a perfect gigger.

I prefer thicker necks too, but after having to play my fat strat due to the sound I got from it meant that I had to get used to the thin neck on that.
    That resulted in my thumb muscle growing alot from all the bar chords and it wasnt too bad after a while.
    I am ok with medium jumbo but have never experinced Jumbo.

at £470 it may well be worth the risk!
    I hate buying mail order too, you just dont know what you are getting.
    Dam...

14. LucasT

LucasT TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I just picked one up about a month ago wanting some humbuckers finally and really like it overall. Sound is sweet, looks dynamite, nice and light. Coil tap is very useful. My only issue so far is it's my first foray into jumbo frets and I'm needing to adjust a bit with a lighter touch to stay in tune. To soon to tell if it will become my go to axe, but it's trending upwards. At about $480, it was an awesome value. I also play a Highway One Strat and a '78 Tele.

15. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Another Tele choice with humbuckers is the '72 Thinline RI. Also very light weight, neck is not thin and vintage frets. Much different sound. Play one before you buy. Works great for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.