Tele finish - Slick Guitars

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Jdemartini, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Jdemartini

Jdemartini TDPRI Member

Hi everybody! I’m doing my first build, i bought some Swamp Ash with really nice grains, and my idea was to attempt a similar finish to the “Slick Guitars”, but the question is how?

This is my body

And this is the finish that i would like to get

I have some ideas, but i’m not quite sure that they’ll work

- Torch it up slightly, in order to get the grain black and then sand it to finish with a glossy finish. I saw a few videos that the grain will get dark and the rest of the wood will remain the same.

or

- Tint it with an black spirit based tint, and then sand it, but maybe all the wood will get way too dark and not only the grain.

any ideas?

thanks in advanced!

2. RatBug

RatBug Tele-Meister

Just guessing but it looks like they used a dark color grain filler first then a lighter color finish.

8trackmind and Jdemartini like this.
  3. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

If I was to guess i'd say that's dyed/colored with whatever dark you chose & then sanded back to your desire leaving the color in the grain. Then it looks like a lighter color option (golden pecan for example) was added after.

Slick as in GFS Slick? I don't recall them having one finished like that but I haven't paid attention. I do remember the matte/unfilled grain bodies.

4. Jdemartini

Jdemartini TDPRI Member

Yes, they call them “Black Ash” https://www.guitarfetish.com/Slick-SL51-Aged-Black-Ash-Dual-Single-Coil-Pickups-_p_16703.html

5. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd go to the Finely Finished section & use the search. There's been a few threads on that technique.

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I agree about the GFS Slick guitars. All I recall are some pretty bad "relic" type finishes. I even had one once.....and it was a DOG. (in a bad way) I hope yours ends up playing and sounding better than an authentic "Slick"......;)

7. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

After reading the advertisement for the guitar in the posted link and looking at the pictures, I believe it's finished just the way GF says it is.

Black dye, followed by sanding back enough to show a sharp contrast.

No burning involved :).

8. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

At one time, Fender offered a limited edition finish called “Sandblasted”. That looks very similar to what you’re after. I’m not sure of their process but I really like it. There may be more details available with a Google search.

D878278C-6BA2-4D39-9545-F3942325F210.jpeg

Muttly likes this.
  9. Jdemartini

Jdemartini TDPRI Member

Thanks for the information!

10. Jdemartini

Jdemartini TDPRI Member

Wow! that looks awesome!

tah1962 likes this.
  11. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

PRS also have sandblasted SEs available in Europe:
    https://www.prsguitarseurope.com/2019/09/introducing-the-se-ltd-sand-blasted-swamp-ash/
    Their blurb says “sand-blasted then grain-filled to add colour” rather than the other way round...

tah1962 likes this.
  12. Jdemartini

Jdemartini TDPRI Member

AAT65 and Si G X like this.
  13. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

yeah they literally 'sand blast' the surface of the wood to take out the softer parts of the wood, then fill them back in with coloured filler.

Lots of engineering places will have media blasters but they are most commonly used for cleaning metal surfaces and you'd have to be really careful not to totally destroy the guitar and a softer 'sand' or 'grit' would be needed. There's all sorts... little bits of plastic, glass, metal, sand, tiny bits of walnut shell, maize for polishing etc.

AAT65 likes this.
  14. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

First, buy a piece or two of 36"x6"x1/4" ash wood at a woodworking store. Then try stuff. I think I'd try black stain (let it dry for 48 hours) and then sand it until you get the black off the surface wood. Then I'd go with a General Finishes Gel Stain for the brown.

Because you'll be using different colors, you have to be careful that the second one doesn't either mix with or reactivate the first one. Same holds for the finish coat. I once used a water-based dye and then a water-based top coat, the finish reactivated and lifted the color. You need to know what works and how it looks on ash.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.