Tele Deluxe wiring help

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by tnt246, Oct 21, 2018.

1. tnt246

tnt246 TDPRI Member

Hello fellow Tele enthusiasts,

I recently decided to upgrade the pickups on my Tele Deluxe with a set of Brandonwound wide-range humbuckers. I am trying to wire both neck and volume to a CTS DPDT push-pull pot for coil splitting but I am having some problems after I wire everything up. Specifically, the output is very weak for both neck and bridge pickups, and the middle position of the 3 way toggle has no signal at all. There also appears to be some kind of grounding issue as touching the bridge/strings dramatically reduces background noise. Additionally, touching the metal part on the toggle switch creates a really loud noise, similar to when you touch an unplugged guitar cable.

I used the following diagram for wiring, with the exception of the DPDT switches which I have also included a picture of:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Also from Brandonwound is this with info on the wires:
    [​IMG]

I thought it was possible that I had some bad solder joints so I re-wired everything but still have the same problems. Interestingly enough the coil split, volume, and tone pots work as intended so I am really at a loss as to what the issue could be. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

2. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

Did you reconcile the Brandonwond colour code with the SD convention in your diagram ? (and the Stewmac CTS diagram colours ... if you took any notice of those)
    https://www.seymourduncan.com/faqs/what-are-your-humbucker-wiring-color-codes

BTW I find the newer CTS push-pull terminal layout a big PITA. Only use if you really need the shallower depth.

Reduced noise on touching strings is normal - you are grounding the human noise antenna.

Noise on touching the toggle suggests you may have grounded it with a hot instead of a ground.

Do you have a multimeter ? (you need one)

3. tnt246

tnt246 TDPRI Member

Thanks for your help! I realized that I switched the hot out and ground on the toggle so I switched them up and now everything is working as expected! Thanks again!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.