1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele Deluxe vs Custom

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Binx, Jan 13, 2020.

Deluxe vs Custom

1. Deluxe

18 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. Custom

25 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Neither one does it for me

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. I'm not picky, either one is fine

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

Which do you prefer and why? Feel free to post pics of ones you like or own, would love to see them!

My first electric was a walnut 72 deluxe reissue, it was really a beautiful guitar. Let go of it a few years ago to fund some other stuff, but hopefully someday will get something similar again.
    I usually prefer the walnut or natural deluxe with a black guard, and everything else standard. Admittedly I have never played a custom. Dont normally like any trem system on them, but ran across this picture and think it looks pretty unique and awesome!

11f637feff9d350ff507120644d03be3.jpg

2. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Both, of course!

kris ford likes this.
  3. Poorman512

Poorman512 TDPRI Member

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Binx likes this.
  4. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I own a 75 Tele Deluxe, 79 Tele Custom and a predominately 73 Tele Custom(parts-has original WRHB). I like both models, but play my Customs more often because they have more contrasting tones between the Tele bridge pickup and WRHB. The Tele Deluxe guitars are typically better for shredding. The Strat appointments(the neck and tummy cut contour on its back) of the Tele Deluxe are truly cool. I have a couple of mid 70's Strats, so the Tele Deluxe feels very much at home for me. I can't speak for the newer reissues, but the original Tele Deluxe always feels more like a Strat to me which isn't a bad thing. The real truth is I love the original WRHB which has always been my attraction to these oddball Telecasters from the mid n70's. I also have a 76 Tele Thinline. I have never owned a Starcaster though. Cool guitar, but never wanted to get one.

The 79 Tele Custom in my thumbnail is my main guitar. I have been playing the 73 partscaster more these days-neck and body are original to each other.

FC_a.JPG

This has been updated with a new bridge and early 60's Gretsch knobs:

FC 002.JPG

The 76 Thinline(don't have any photos of the Tele Deluxe, so I will put this one up). My other favorite guitar is a ES-335, so the Tele Thinline has been a long term favorite.

Thinline.JPG

Kreepy and Binx like this.
  5. Kreepy

Kreepy Tele-Meister

Custom for me. I like telecaster necks. I don't like the flatter radius on the deluxe with the strat neck.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  6. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

Owning one of them would be to have something different from the classic tele design. And since I play mostly on bridge PU, it would be Deluxe for me.
    I love the look of the one the OP posted!

Binx likes this.
  7. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Custom for me.

The classic telecaster bridge pickup is a must for me and I don't like a flatter radius.

RYAN1987M and Kreepy like this.
  8. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I’ll only get a custom if it has original WRHB pickups.

horseman308 and bender66 like this.
  9. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

Why isn't the Thinline included?

I like the Custom for the classic neck size. I usually play a Custom on either the neck or the bridge, the middle position is too hard to dial in on the fly for me. Both those 2 tones are fine and enough for me. And with the controls, one for HB, one for SC I don't need a volume pedal.

I like the Deluxe, but have to say it always gives me a "Gibson" vibe with 2 volumes and 2 tones and I think the neck radius also contributes to that vibe. But there are nice tones at each selector position and with the added controls they can be dialed in for most any amp. For me I need a volume pedal to play out because I might turn the wrong volume in the middle position.

Now the Thinline, at least the originals, have the classic neck radius, classic controls and 2 humbuckers. I also think the cavity helps contribute to a nice twang in the bridge position.

I'm blessed to own all 3 originals so I don't have to decide.

Here are mine, '73 Custom (modded), '73 Deluxe, '75 Deluxe, '75 Thinline, '78 Custom.

Teles_with_humbuckers.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    ripple, pratteman, Binx and 1 other person like this.
  10. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

It's gotta be a custom. I love tele bridge pickups and hate strat headstocks!

11. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Custom. I need that single coil bridge pickup. Also, that big ol’ strat headstock just looks wrong. (Sez the guy who put a big lefty strat neck on an Esquire build...)

12. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

Deluxe.... it's a headstock thing.

Fretting out likes this.
  13. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve always wanted a deluxe for some reason
    Almost 15 years ago now I bought an epiphone dot and the shop I bought it from had a Tele Deluxe reissue except it had a trem like a strat I kick myself all the time for not getting that one

14. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I now have an MIM Deluxe that I love dearly, and I had a Custom back in the late '70s.

Love the Custom for the single coil bridge pickup, but love the Deluxe for the 12" radius neck with larger frets (and I kinda dig the ginormous Strat headstock).

15. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

Something to keep in mind--the Deluxe (IIRC) has a 12" radius fretboard, and the Custom has a 7.25".

I have long been a Custom man, but have recently been playing my 2-WRHB style reissue 72 thinline and digging that more. But the sound is more refined and less raw (due to not having that sharp bridge pickup) and more suitable for what kind of music I am currently playing.

Binx likes this.
  16. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

That is a beautiful collection!

toomuchfun likes this.
  17. jtmi

jtmi TDPRI Member

So I did a search looking for info on the deluxe and like many here I don't care for either the Strat headstock nor the flat fingerboard. That said...the new American Professional has a Tele headstock an a 9.5" radius fingerboard.

photo source: fender.com Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 6.57.20 PM.png

18. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

I prefer the pickup and control layout of the Custom. That one is my favorite guitar Fender ever made. Classic Tele bite and twang in the bridge but more versatility in the neck. Would have liked the bridge pickup a little hotter to balance the neck though.

However, I prefer the headstock of the Deluxe and the body of the Thinline. If only Fender had put the electronics of the Custom on a Thinline body....

They didn't, of course, so I basically built one like that myself.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nicely curated!

20. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I have a new vintera custom. They're fantastic guitars.

Keivil likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.